Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot
15051525355

Comments

  • clare_bearclare_bear Frets: 45
    Thanks for the love, guys. Sorry to hear about your mum Sporky, but sounds like you've found her a good place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9140
    edited April 13
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 88
    welcome back Clare_Bear ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9140
    Just got word from Radford Revival that they expect to finish building my STA25 today.  Can't wait to install & use it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2430
    This weekend I visited and old band mate who took over from a previous keyboard player in the band back in the day (1998). As part of his introduction he came to a gig at a local golf club and recorded the complete gig (3 sets) so he could familiarise himself with arrangements and  formats. He told me he still had those recordings on DAT tape, so we spent an hour or so figuring out how to use the DAT drive and play the tracks.
    The recording is basic and slightly distorted, but it has songs we never did again (old keyboard player sang) and one in particular where six musos did Billy Joels 'The Longest Time' acapella with myself doing lead (before my voice gave out on me). I'd never heard that played back before and it bought a tear to my eye, not least because one of the lady singers died of cancer a few short years later.
    He is going to create CDs/MP3s etc. of this material for me. I am so happy to have it because in those days we gigged so often and never thought about recording gigs. I have later recordings of course but this is special to me.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9140
    nice one Kev, wow duly awarded

    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9555
    @ESBlonde that's properly brilliant. Would love to hear it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2430
    @ESBlonde that's properly brilliant. Would love to hear it!

    Mike I can't say the quality of the recording is up to much, but as a personal momento it is priceless. i may upload it in the future when I get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9140
    nipped in the local for a pint after my lunch. turns out I'd already got 2 in :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7608
    Spent the whole afternoon making a rig of classic rock-style sounds on my Kemper. Now have:

    1) a nice clipped clean sound with slapback delay and vintage-sounding chorus
    2) a low-gain crunchy Plexi rhythm sound, a la AC/DC, Badfinger etc
    3) a boosted low-ish gain lead, ideal for the lead sounds of the above bands
    4) a massive-sounding higher gain rhythm tone, a la Boston, Queen etc - complete with subtle chorus and tape delay
    5) an accompanying lead sound, which could cause earthquakes

    I are happy.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 5014
    Bucket said:
    Spent the whole afternoon making a rig of classic rock-style sounds on my Kemper. Now have:

    1) a nice clipped clean sound with slapback delay and vintage-sounding chorus
    2) a low-gain crunchy Plexi rhythm sound, a la AC/DC, Badfinger etc
    3) a boosted low-ish gain lead, ideal for the lead sounds of the above bands
    4) a massive-sounding higher gain rhythm tone, a la Boston, Queen etc - complete with subtle chorus and tape delay
    5) an accompanying lead sound, which could cause earthquakes

    I are happy.
    This post appears to need video. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7608
    viz said:
    Bucket said:
    Spent the whole afternoon making a rig of classic rock-style sounds on my Kemper. Now have:

    1) a nice clipped clean sound with slapback delay and vintage-sounding chorus
    2) a low-gain crunchy Plexi rhythm sound, a la AC/DC, Badfinger etc
    3) a boosted low-ish gain lead, ideal for the lead sounds of the above bands
    4) a massive-sounding higher gain rhythm tone, a la Boston, Queen etc - complete with subtle chorus and tape delay
    5) an accompanying lead sound, which could cause earthquakes

    I are happy.
    This post appears to need video. 
    Soon, I hope...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7608
    My parents were in TK Maxx yesterday and found a very nice Armani jacket which they thought I'd like, and would just about fit... so they bought it, on the offchance it would fit. It does, and perfectly.

    As for the price... well, they paid £64 for it. Guess how much it originally cost?

    ...

    ...

    More than that.

    ...

    ...

    ... keep going...

    ...

    ...

    Yup. £1216.

    :o
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2706
    I have just put the last full stop on this academic year's offerings. 
    All done.
    Happy.
    :-)

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 569
    My car failed its mot today. The law has been updated and it appears that a fail means it cannot go back on the road until it's fixed. My service pack has expired........

    The nice man at the garage looked at my 'deal' when I bought the car. 'Hang on sir, let me just check something.....'

    5 mins later he returns. 'Sir, it appears your deal indicates that as part of the MOT part of the package, the part which caused the fail is not a 'consumable' which means I can get it replaced for free. I have taken the liberty of ordering the part and it will be with us in the morning. We will fit it free of charge and re-mot it for you. I have also sorted you out with a nice new courtesy car. We will call you in the morning but no rush really.'
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7608
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run. It was actually a rather excellent way to start the day. I will be doing it more often.

    I've decided to try and get up at the same time every day from now on, to work harder and be more productive and stronger-willed - I want to learn the art of delayed gratification, which is something I've never been very good at. All part of my drive to be fitter, happier, harder-working and better off.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1807
    Bucket said:
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run. It was actually a rather excellent way to start the day. I will be doing it more often.

    I've decided to try and get up at the same time every day from now on, to work harder and be more productive and stronger-willed - I want to learn the art of delayed gratification, which is something I've never been very good at. All part of my drive to be fitter, happier, harder-working and better off.
    Love a morning run.  Go through the local nature reserve where I never see anyone at that time, just deer, foxes, rabbits, the odd snake.  You feel better all day I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7608
    edited June 12
    munckee said:
    Bucket said:
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run. It was actually a rather excellent way to start the day. I will be doing it more often.

    I've decided to try and get up at the same time every day from now on, to work harder and be more productive and stronger-willed - I want to learn the art of delayed gratification, which is something I've never been very good at. All part of my drive to be fitter, happier, harder-working and better off.
    Love a morning run.  Go through the local nature reserve where I never see anyone at that time, just deer, foxes, rabbits, the odd snake.  You feel better all day I think.
    I'm in London so not as much wildlife to gawp at, but I do have a few places to go - Queen's Park is about 10 minutes away, so that's where I went earlier. Maybe once I get more used to the exercise I might push myself down to Regent's Park or Primrose Hill...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2706
    Bucket said:
    For the first time ever, I got up at 6:30 this morning and went for a run...
    This might sound a bit bonkers but, when you wrap your head around it, try getting up at 5am.
    Imagine it being 6:30am and you've already been up for 90 minutes, done your run, and a ton of other stuff too.
    5am is the sweet spot for me at any rate.  4am just feels like I've got up too early!  But 5's a goodun!
    GL with the other goals.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13531
    edited June 16
    So this is the “other side” is it?  Nobody’s moaning!  Wow... is this the antimatter to the “Shit that boils you piss” thread?

    I’ve had an old petrol brush cutter for several years that has never ran right.  No matter what I did with the carb mixture screw, it was always a bastard to start and would frequently die.  Last year, I bought a new carb for it, only £12, and that did help but it still ran rough.

    Yesterday, after getting a blister from trying to start it, I decided to get the screwdrivers out to strip the carb as, the ‘eBay special’ fuel filter and pipe I bought last year had begun to dissolve in the fuel over the winter, leaving a gloopy sticky residue in the tank,  I figured the new carb must have some of this crap in it.

    So, I start removing bits, get the carb off and decide to check the inlet manifold.  I take it off and immediately see the manifold-cylinder gasket is in bits.  I scrape it all off and make myself two new gaskets from card (getting the proper ones for this would be impossible) as I decide to replace the carb-manifold gasket too.

    45 minutes later it’s back together with my DIY gaskets.

    It starts on the first pull and runs like a racing bike. 

    All these years I’ve struggled with it and now it’s like a new machine!
    Birds are meant to fly free...  Open every cage you see.

    https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/caged-birds/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1807
    Apart from my news about my son's school which has its own thread, I also had a good day at work, I submitted my expenses for driving about to meetings and got back over 3 times more than I claimed.  When I spoke to them it turns out the company who recently bought us pay 45p per mile rather than the 11p per mile I was getting.  Will be worth 5 grand plus a year
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2146
    @munckee is that for using your own vehicle?  If it is, your old lot were taking the piss!

    Did anyone bring the petits-fours?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1807
    Nitefly said:
    @munckee is that for using your own vehicle?  If it is, your old lot were taking the piss!

    Yes but I get car allowance the old lot said it was for car and maintenance new lot say it's just for car. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 569
    I played the biggest gig of my life last night and am still smiling about it
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1807

    Mate of mine has a small building firm and a few years ago like most firms in the trade a major company failed to pay a large invoice leaving him totally washed up.  The generally followed path in that situation is to default on all your debts close the company then restart under another name leaving all the contractors below you to carry the losses.  This chap didn’t want to leave people unable to provide for their families and paid every one of them losing his savings, pension, house and marriage in the process. 

    Shortly afterwards I asked him to install decking for us and build an outdoor wooden sink for  my autistic son to play in.  When he did the job he refused to take any money for all the wood as he said he ‘had it anyway’ and I had to force some money in his pocket for the labour.

    Saw him in the pub last night and he has just won £500,000 on the lottery.  Could not be happier for him!

    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 5638
    munckee said:

    Mate of mine has a small building firm and a few years ago like most firms in the trade a major company failed to pay a large invoice leaving him totally washed up.  The generally followed path in that situation is to default on all your debts close the company then restart under another name leaving all the contractors below you to carry the losses.  This chap didn’t want to leave people unable to provide for their families and paid every one of them losing his savings, pension, house and marriage in the process. 

    Shortly afterwards I asked him to install decking for us and build an outdoor wooden sink for  my autistic son to play in.  When he did the job he refused to take any money for all the wood as he said he ‘had it anyway’ and I had to force some money in his pocket for the labour.

    Saw him in the pub last night and he has just won £500,000 on the lottery.  Could not be happier for him!

    Nice, sometimes life does payback the worthy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9140
    @munckee I guess you'd call that good karma :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9555
    On Saturday, I finally got news that I'm being given the promotion I've been working for for the last 3 years :) 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1807
    On Saturday, I finally got news that I'm being given the promotion I've been working for for the last 3 years :) 
    Well done chief. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9555
    munckee said:
    On Saturday, I finally got news that I'm being given the promotion I've been working for for the last 3 years :) 
    Well done chief. 
    Cheers matey :)

    It's accompanied by the new that my #1 manager is leaving, so the next few months are going to be a bit nuts, but it's a well-timed opportunity to make myself look good. I already did 80% of her job while she was on maternity leave so should be all good in the long run.

    Now just waiting to find out how much they want to pay for the the new role... Have bought a new watch to celebrate :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.