Zootropolis - a damn fine animated film

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
We are swamped with animated films these days, some good, some terrible. The best ones have great scripts, which is basically the difference. I have to give a big thumbs up to Zootropolis which my kids have on again right now. Great story and also wonderful animation, the quality of the characters expressions is superb. Well worth a look. Any other great animated films? Needless to say, Studio Ghibli have produced many.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324

Zootropolis is great isn't it.

The kids and I really like the Book of Life. The artwork is fantastic and the story is a bit different (although it was pretty much completely ripped off recently by Coco).

Early Man is decent and worth a watch.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11878
    Up is a great movie in any genre.  Toy Story 3 is also exceptional.

In fact Pixar are usually strong, even Cars isn't as bad as people make out.

Disney usually do pretty well.  As well as Zootropolis, Moana is excellent, as is Tangled.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    The Sloth scene is great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    As well as Zootropolis, Moana is excellent, as is Tangled.
    Yes, good calls, those are two other favourites of mine. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Book of life is fantastic, musically wonderful, beautiful to look at and an excellent script. Also a rather beautiful view of death and afterlife.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Oh, I hadn't twigged that Zootropolis was the UK title. It was called Zoomania here, and Zootopia in the States. Great film, must rewatch.

I loved Ratatouille.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Moana is the flavour of the year in my house.. It's actually pretty bearable even after 60,000 views..

The Road to El-Dorado is also pretty good. Elton John soundtrack, all good :)

Trolls is bright and annoying. Can't deny it's good though.

And Spirited Away is very enjoyable.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5167
    Coco.

Pixar's usual stellar standards of storytelling and visual wonderfulness, plus the opportunity to really geek out over how accurate and detailed the depictions of guitar playing are throughout the film. You might get something in your eye at the end though.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Iron Giant. 

Has there ever been a better movie trilogy than the Toy Story films? 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Favs in roughly descending order:
    Inside Out
    Monsters Inc
    Princess Mononoke (for older kids)
    Wall-E
    Ratatoulle
    Shrek
    Up
    The Lego Movie
    Zootropolis
    Big Hero 6

• I enjoyed it the first couple of times, but once we got on to watching it twice a day it started getting a bit much. Hahaha bloody kids. It gets a rare outin now which i o enjoy when i catch it. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Iron Giant. 

Has there ever been a better movie trilogy than the Toy Story films? 
    Three Colours

I didn't think that Toy Story was that great. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I enjoyed it the first couple of times, but once we got on to watching it twice a day it started getting a bit much. Hahaha bloody kids. It gets a rare outin now which i o enjoy when i catch it. 
    Haha, I can totally relate to that!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Coco.

Pixar's usual stellar standards of storytelling and visual wonderfulness, plus the opportunity to really geek out over how accurate and detailed the depictions of guitar playing are throughout the film. You might get something in your eye at the end though.

I think the book of life told a similar story better and first myself :D
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    My Neighbour Totoro is a brilliant kids film, just a really lovely story of two sisters having an adventure. Much nicer than Disney films where all the parents seem to die!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Up is a great movie in any genre.  Toy Story 3 is also exceptional.

In fact Pixar are usually strong, even Cars isn't as bad as people make out.

Disney usually do pretty well.  As well as Zootropolis, Moana is excellent, as is Tangled.
    Most of those are on all the time in my house.
    They are brilliant. Boss baby is alright as well. Hotel Transylvania 1 + 2, the croods. To be fair most kids animations are good. They seem to have better writers than we get for most of the adult content that gets released. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    First Kung Foo Panda was fun too :)

I think what makes the films good is that they put in the subtle jokes for the adults who are forced to watch it over and over too. 
    Keeps everyone entertained.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11878
    underdog said:
    Coco.

Nostalgia, the old Babylon 5/Deep Space Nine debates back in the 90s!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5167
    underdog said:
    Coco.

Haven't seen it, so can't really disagree. That said, the plot summary for Book of Life on Wikipedia looks like a very different story in a similar setting...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    underdog said:
    Coco.

Haven't seen it, so can't really disagree. That said, the plot summary for Book of Life on Wikipedia looks like a very different story in a similar setting...

If you get a chance, watch it. It's a great film.

Having seen both, Coco is very, very similar.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to