Would this work as an emergency back up rig...

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    As the Micro Terror and the Little Smasher retail for about the same can we have a shoot out video from @not_the_dj please? ;)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    gubble said:
    like a crate powerblock?
    The discontinued, difficult to repair and horrid sounding crate powerblock? ;-)

But which has still saved my arse, and the gig, twice.  And in those circumstances, when the alternative is "nothing", the Crate is the sweetest sounding life saver of the night.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    True that.

Maybe they should have gone with the slogan 'better than silence'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    But the problem is that given their tendency to die, you may only be delaying the silence.

I don't care so much about the sound - even though I thought the Powerblock was probably the worst-sounding amp I've ever tried, worse than the Micro Terror - but guaranteed reliability is critical for a backup, unless you want to take *another* backup for the backup...

Hence I would rule out both the Powerblock and the EH Magnum even if they sounded fantastic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    As the Micro Terror and the Little Smasher retail for about the same can we have a shoot out video from @not_the_dj please? ;)

I could try, but it'd just be a poorly shot and recorded iPhone clip.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    The iPhone mic is pretty good. It will give a good idea of what they sound like better than a not very well positioned 'proper' mic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ok then, but don't hold your breath, that's not the sort of thing I can record in the evenings.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2014
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_ta50.htm

?

Just bout powerful enough, combine with emulated line out from amt, tech 21, joyo, blackstar, ehxtortion...
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I've looked at all sorts of S/S power amp possibilities, which need some kind of preamp or modeller as a backup for gigs, but as long as Jet City are knocking out the JCA20h for 169 quid it all seems like a pointlessly complex, potentially unreliable hassle.

When you can just chuck a great sounding backup valve head in the passenger footwell for that price it seems silly to attempt to shoehorn underpowered or inappropriate gear into your rig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    wouldn't you need a pre amp with that?
    p90fool said:
    I've looked at all sorts of S/S power amp possibilities, which need some kind of preamp or modeller as a backup for gigs, but as long as Jet City are knocking out the JCA20h for 169 quid it all seems like a pointlessly complex, potentially unreliable hassle.

When you can just chuck a great sounding backup valve head in the passenger footwell for that price it seems silly to attempt to shoehorn underpowered or inappropriate gear into your rig.

Now that deserves a wisdom. I'm off the check out some demos.
    edited July 2014
    midlifecrisis;283085" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Drat, meant this one

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_pm40c_endstufenmodul.htm

wouldn't you need a pre amp with that?
    Yeah, an amt, joyo, tech 21, blackstar ht... They cover most price points, from low (30 quid joyo) to high (blackstar and above).

Very valid point about the jet city, if rock is your thing... Wisdom there.
    Wowzers, £169....how the flip do they do that? (I guess this has been covered in other threads, but it's the first I've heard of them.
    edited July 2014
    not_the_dj;283112" said:
    Wowzers, £169....how the flip do they do that? (I guess this has been covered in other threads, but it's the first I've heard of them.
    Magic.

Soldano tones for that money can be nothing else.

I am hell set on getting a jca22h and Harley Benton 2x12.

More amazingly, there are overdrive and distortion pedals out there that cost significantly more that probably emulate the soldano lead sound...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    ZT Lunchbox for £229 is hard to beat. 

Can be used as a backup head and as an amp for small gigs.
  • I've just bought a Micro Terror from cbilly22 for this very reason. I bought it as a backup for my main clean tone in to an 8ohm 1x12. I was very surprised at how much volume I could get out of it. Clean sounds aren't its strong point but when you drive the preamp, the 12AX7 comes in to its own. I'll be gigging it over the weekend so will report my results! Jack
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

One of those could sit on the pedalboard ready for use - looks a very handy little box to me :)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I've just bought a Micro Terror from cbilly22 for this very reason. I bought it as a backup for my main clean tone in to an 8ohm 1x12. I was very surprised at how much volume I could get out of it. Clean sounds aren't its strong point but when you drive the preamp, the 12AX7 comes in to its own. I'll be gigging it over the weekend so will report my results! Jack
    Please do - I would be extremely interested to find out how it went!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Very valid point about the jet city, if rock is your thing... Wisdom there.
    Rock isn't my thing, it has a surprising amount of clean headroom if you max the master volume and use the preamp gain as your volume. That is with a couple of good, sensitive Celestions in my 2x12 though.