Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sweet Chil....

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
I can't even be arsed to type the full title out let alone teach this..

So when a 14 yr old student of only 5x1 hr lessons mailed me to say can we learn this for next hour's lesson? -  I replied:

Hi Charlie

...great song but, lousy lesson!

To be honest is a perfect example of 'style over substance' innasmuch as Slash pulls from his early guitar lesson days of CLASSICAL guitar and various repetitive scales to make up all the lead parts. The basic chord pattern is well, basic.

This isn't to say it is worth a stab and I have selected some of the better Youtube demos of each part. Be warned - this is hours and hours of meticulous and repetitive practice so attempt it in bite sized chunks.

Chords:

Solo parts 1-5

OK, now a good performance to watch his hands too:

We have something equally as enthralling to look at this week though...

See you Mon

++

Was this bad of me??
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Yes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Yes.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Yes.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Cos you could have said, "Awesome song!  Let me show you how the first bit goes" 

That would be ace, at 14 years old, to play the intro to SCOM. 

Any guitar shop on a Saturday morning will verify this :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited October 2014
    ...but his Mum comes to pick him up and wants to know that what we have done will form part of his GCSE in guitar... and he has a nylon acoustic... and she has the dosh...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

If nothing else, it's a neat finger exercise.  On a nylon, maybe not so much... But that might help him persuade his mum to buy him a proper leccy guitar :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe a little harsh but very valid in my eyes, but im not 14 and hoping to get my slash on

I have this discussion with my father in law all the time, he goes to lessons currently. He is always complaining that the teachers he finds dont know all the songs he wants to learn. I personally feel if you are taking tuition to learn songs you might as well stay at home and hit the tabs. Lessons are about developing the basics, technique and introduction to styles (unless you are learning classical). 

I'm sure you can explain a bit better at the next lesson 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2014
    57Deluxe said:
    ...but his Mum comes to pick him up and wants to know that what we have done will form part of his GCSE in guitar... and he has a nylon acoustic... and she has the dosh...
    You know that's not what we want to know about his Mum.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

He might be wanting to learn it to impress a young lady.

It might be his favourite song.

Slash might be his favourite player.

His mum might have said "If you learn SCOM, I'll give you £x".

You are being paid to teach him, so teach him what he wants to learn.

All seem like good reasons to teach him that song.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    To be honest was a bit of a test of his dedication - to see if after my lead he actually goes off and tries it out for himself with the links... I will ask him to show me how far he has got. 

BUT - you never form your tuition programme solely around what the student wants! First Rule!

Also I have already asked and his fave player is Ed Sheeran... and he doesn't have a girlfriend yet either -I tried that psychological carrot to make him practise more...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • If I were to go for guitar lessons now, at the age of 41, I'd be looking for a structured regime with a solid theoretic backbone.

If I'd had that at 14, however, I wouldn't be sitting here typing about my guitar playing, as I'd have long since jacked it in.

The kid's 14, he wants to play SCoM, indulge him...If every lesson degenerates into "Teach me (insert ridiclous choice)" followed by "Teach me (insert another ridiculous choice)" and so on..then it's fair to say "Look, you'll learn more quickly if you get the basics down in a structured manner, and you'll do that quicker if you follow my set lessons" but which teen guitarist doesn't want to learn SCoM?

*cue endless posts saying "I didn't want to learn SCoM when I was a teenager....*

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

How about doing the theory behind SCOM whilst learning the song?

Show him the chord voicing, and the leads with the scales/licks used.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Nice way to put yourself out of business linking to youtube lessons...
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    I don't see much of an issue with the response assuming he's far enough along that he can begin tackling it by himself. 

As long you are willing to help out during lesson time with any bits he might be struggling with I think it's a good way to get him to learn songs.  Nothing wrong with encouraging a bit of independent study.
    edited October 2014
    ...turns out it was his Dad that made him ask!! His Dad apparently (according to Mum/ex wife) likes to think of himself as a bit of a player too... Strange then that he didn't show him how...

Anyway, after 20 mins fiddling with the intro he got bored and so did I, so we went back to learning something more suitable for his level at this time. At least he now knows that you have to put the time in to succeed.He went away with two classic 90s songs to thrash away at with all parts covered...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    no - am telling him the chord progression achievable as it is basic... 

(I think you guys need to re-read my comments with a sense of irony!)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I think you need to re-read your own comments. They're not ironic, they're just confusing. "Great song....lousy lesson...style over substance.....basic.... Isn't to say it's worth a stab(sic). .....oh, and here's somebody else's video lesson 'cause I can't be arsed......."
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    57Deluxe said:
    no - am telling him the chord progression achievable as it is basic... 

(I think you guys need to re-read my comments with a sense of irony!)
    Okay, provided you go back and read mine with a sense of elated whimsy.

... as a sign of dedication ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom