The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    Paxo is on fire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I punched the air when he said that stuff about what the EU negotiators would be thinking
    My V key is broken
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    I thought Corbyn (IRA question aside) did better with the audience, TM better with Paxman. 
    I don't think she'll have convinced anybody who wasn't already planning to vote for her (it is for her, not the party), whereas Jeremy convinced me to vote Labour despite him.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I wasn't sure if May did a better job with Paxman or he was a lot easier on her than JC, it didn't feel like he interrupted or shouted over her as often.   
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    edited May 2017
    At least 1 guy thought she deserved a standing ovation, just seemed to be the one though!.........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    The high point of the broadcast was watching May's face as Faisal Islam spoke at the end of her QA session and the audience clapped. Watch it frame by frame. 50 Shades of Awkward. It's been a long time since we've had a Conservative leader who looks so ill at ease when talking in front of people. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    We seem to have the worst set of politicians I can ever remember - power addicts at their worst....

Corbyn unconvincingly denies his past - while May unconvincingly predicts her future.

Still - at least we have homophobic Tim Farron and racist Paul Nuttall to consider as well....

Interesting view from the Guardian (yeah I know) comments:

"As a Irishman I've found the sudden interest by the English Tory media in Jeremy Corbyn's relationship with Irish nationalism infuriating. There's been zero attempt to contextualise what Jeremy Corbyn has said within the history of Anglo-Irish engagement between 68-98. There's been no explanation of the motivations of the Irish republican movement and how the IRA campaigns were a reaction to British policy in Ireland and an after effect of British imperialism. No it's just a repeat of IRA BAD CORBYN BAD IRA BAD CORBYN BAD IRA BAD.

The understanding of Northern Ireland amongst the English media seems to be still stuck in the 1990s. That's mostly because that was the last time they paid attention to the place and have remained steadfastly ignorant to any developments in Irish politics since then."

Been quite impressed with the sky news coverage too, pretty balanced and Faisal Islam was a very good host.

My V key is broken
    Faisal Islam is a very decent chap. Lots of time for him. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    John_P said:
    I wasn't sure if May did a better job with Paxman or he was a lot easier on her than JC, it didn't feel like he interrupted or shouted over her as often.   
    Really ? I thought he wouldn't let her get a sentence out for most of the time. Didn't really nail her on anything though, just behaved like an arse, wasn't good telly. (That said, missed Corbyn's bit as dinner overran)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    We seem to have the worst set of politicians I can ever remember - power addicts at their worst....

Corbyn unconvincingly denies his past - while May unconvincingly predicts her future.

Still - at least we have homophobic Tim Farron and racist Paul Nuttall to consider as well....
    Would Sir like a punch in the face, or a kick in the bollocks?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

If Corbyn were a power addict, that Labour manifesto would be a damn sight more Momentum than it is. May is clearly not an addict either: no power addict would look that awkward at the end of a fairly benign Q&A session. There's actually been quite a dearth of the power addict/strong leader types in our politics for some time. It's one reason why Farage and Boris stood out for so long, and why Sturgeon managed to grasp things in Scotland. DC wasn't that kind of leader, Ed Millibacon wasn't, Clegg was emasculated at the last election by virtue of making out with the Conservatives, and the only natural leader in the Greens wasn't actually leader.

I did chuckle when May said that there were a lot of other things bigger than Brexit to consider. Quite absurd when Brexit has been made the central point of her campaign. 1-0 to the beardy humus fairy tonight.  

I'll nail my colours to the mast and say I am voting Labour this time, for the first time living in this country.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    right now it appears to be an international condition…
    during the US election I remember thinking "thank fk I'm not in their shoes"
    and then again for France..
    and no it's us and I'm thinking "oh fk.. got sht shoes of my own"
    play every note as if it were your first
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3347
    At least 1 guy thought she deserved a standing ovation, just seemed to be the one though!.........
    Well, one guy certainly mouthed 'Bollocks' on camera during TM's session.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    I had been quite undecided but am going to place my X for Labour too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    I'll nail my colours to the mast and say I am voting Labour this time, for the first time living in this country.
    Same here. Pretty solid Labour area, Conservative candidate is a parachute job, wouldn't waste time with a Lib Dem vote around here. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Same here. Pretty solid Labour area, Conservative candidate is a parachute job, wouldn't waste time with a Lib Dem vote around here. 
    I'm consciously not voting tactically.
    I'm in a Tory area (Witney) with the Lib Dems being second here.
    But Farron has lost me and I genuinely believe in Corbyn.
    I'm voting my conscience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2665
    I'm voting Labour as always. I really believe in Jeremy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom