The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29137
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I don't think I can vote.

None of the parties represent me, and they are all intending to do things I don't agree with.

- Conservatives are big business corporate interests.
    - Labour are social justice warriors who ignore reality.
    - Lib Dems are Tory-Lite.
    - The Greens are anti people and anti science.

I just don't think I can do it. It's not apathy. It's profound disgust that this is our choice, and it amounts to choosing which hole to be fucked in.
    That was pretty much how I felt (though we also had a gobshite from the Peace Party who want equality of income - fuck that shit), but we had an independent who wants to fix pot holes and deal with local issues and seemed surprisingly untwattish, so I've voted for him (postal vote) in the hopes that he at least keeps his deposit.

He's not much of a looker, mind.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited May 2017
    dhj said:
    Yep, couldn't agree more. Not voting labour this time purely based on the fact that I don't want to be part of an organisation that labels any corbyn questioner as 'tory cunt, Tory scum, possible paedophile, baby killer and so on ' I really do despair and am genuinely concerned about what might happen if corbyn wins. where will there bile be directed next?
    For balance, I ended up having an argument with a crazy right winger who ended the conversation by asking if I wanted my daughter to be raped. There are mad people everywhere, and I'll be voting for the MPs, not the crazy fringe activists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

None of the parties represent me, and they are all intending to do things I don't agree with.

I just don't think I can do it. It's not apathy. It's profound disgust that this is our choice, and it amounts to choosing which hole to be fucked in.
    That was pretty much how I felt (though we also had a gobshite from the Peace Party who want equality of income - fuck that shit), but we had an independent who wants to fix pot holes and deal with local issues and seemed surprisingly untwattish, so I've voted for him (postal vote) in the hopes that he at least keeps his deposit.

He's not much of a looker, mind.

Our labour chap is pretty local, but I can't find *anything* about him. No leaflets through the letterbox, nothing online... Just a ghost. 

Our local conservative is a good egg for local issues (we are a pretty safe conservative seat), but has a very mixed record with regards to voting for key issues. And I mostly disagree with the, er, rather conservative way he has voted on them. 

Bleurgh
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Brad said:
    Just out of interest, what made you assume those things about Corbyn at first? Was it the media onslaught or the constant sniping and undermining by those in his own party? The constant leadership challenges? Just your gut feeling? It's interesting how your perception has changed that's all.

I've heard so many people complain over the years that all politicians are the same, yet when someone different comes along (Corbyn) they don't like it (or rather they are told not to like it).
    Mostly the disarray in his own party which continued for a year - something must have been wrong for there to be so many people unwilling to work with him.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    PVO_Dave said:
    Fretwired said:
     ... God I just want this to end .....
    This, really bought out the idiots on social media too. Sorely tempted to temp delete my Facebook account until it is done. The amount of very angry and/or vocal Labour supporters (for whatever reason, be that Facebooks view on what I want to see, or shy Tory syndrome) is all I see politics wise. 

Problem is, if the Tories do win again, it won't end, as there will likely be more protests etc.. 
    I'm Labour all the way, but I don't think people have been kicked in the teeth enough to fight back yet. The fox cartoon doing the rounds summed it up for me - "Well I'm still voting for her", the Tories have whipped up a "Dunkirk spirit" in people and many believe we're in this together and it's something unpleasant we just have to get through; it seems you can kick a dog as much as you like and it will still come back when called. Another 5 years of Tory rule may be what's required to cause a profound change in opinion.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6171
    Myranda said:
    I might not be Corbyn's biggest fan... but a Woman's Hour interview causing him to struggle on childcare costs ... I'm sure that's a good sign that he'll be a strong and inspirational leader...

May seems to think Europe will bend to her every whim without a clue that maybe 500ish million people with more than 20 economies might have their own agenda, for which they might be more steadfast than some sort of hynotised-sheep-lemmings ... and Corbyn gets flustered over not knowing the cost of one manifesto pledge out of dozens - would have been easy to say that he's not the shadow chancellor, and so he can't recall every financial figure, but let himself get flustered... 

I really hope that whoever does win pays for a professional negotiator of some sort rather than does it themselves...

Otherwise we'll somehow wind up paying £500 billion for the privilege of becoming a penal colony for Europe or something equally crappy
    ... I don't mind if a politician can't remember all their figures and has to look them up. It's not a memory test, is it?...
    Exactly. The way the interviewer treated him was pretty shabby, but for Woman's hour to get a male politician on the ropes was too good to pass on.

I don't want a leader who's a walking calculator, parroting fact and figures, I want someone with a conscience who's prepared to act on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    Brad said:
    Just out of interest, what made you assume those things about Corbyn at first? Was it the media onslaught or the constant sniping and undermining by those in his own party? The constant leadership challenges? Just your gut feeling? It's interesting how your perception has changed that's all.

I've heard so many people complain over the years that all politicians are the same, yet when someone different comes along (Corbyn) they don't like it (or rather they are told not to like it).
    Mostly the disarray in his own party which continued for a year - something must have been wrong for there to be so many people unwilling to work with him.
    Even the Labour Party has its fair share of sociopaths.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29137
    JezWynd said:
    Exactly. The way the interviewer treated him was pretty shabby, but for Woman's hour to get a male politician on the ropes was too good to pass on.
    I didn't hear it, but frankly it's not difficult to make a politician look silly. It's even easier to make a politician look silly when they're not well polished, well scripted and insincere. 

After all that Paxman bloke can do it just by asking the same question over and over again, insisting on a polar answer to a nuanced issue, and lots of people think that's clever.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    For a while it looked like May would have a decisive victory. However as the Tories started to mess up more and more, Corbyn suddenly got worried and brought out Abbot to make sure he wasn't lumbered with it all. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Facebook crap exhibit one

Apparently nobody can find Hannah Middlebrook, social justice warrior; the victims of the Boston bomb attack had their medical bills met by the state; as far as I am aware no party has plans to fully privatise the NHS - they would be toast. And this was posted by someone who is on record on FB in saying that it is OK to lie and deceive to get Labour elected.

The whole thing is in bad taste - politicising a tragic event.  Obviously Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party has nothing to do with this ...... I haven't checked myself, but someone who has claims it only appears on the FB and Twitter feeds of people in the UK.

... and yes you'll see lies in the Daily Mail and Sun in favour of the Tories. How do you know what's true any more?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Fretwired said:
    Facebook crap exhibit one

Apparently nobody can find Hannah Middlebrook, social justice warrior; the victims of the Boston bomb attack had their medical bills met by the state; as far as I am aware no party has plans to fully privatise the NHS - they would be toast. And this was posted by someone who is on record on FB in saying that it is OK to lie and deceive to get Labour elected.

The whole thing is in bad taste - politicising a tragic event.  Obviously Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party has nothing to do with this ...... I haven't checked myself, but someone who has claims it only appears on the FB and Twitter feeds of people in the UK.

... and yes you'll see lies in the Daily Mail and Sun in favour of the Tories. How do you know what's true any more?
    What was it Ben Shapiro said to Piers Morgan? That he was standing on the bodies of children in order to score political points? Something like that.

Disgusting SJW memes.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    dhj said:
    Yep, couldn't agree more. Not voting labour this time purely based on the fact that I don't want to be part of an organisation that labels any corbyn questioner as 'tory cunt, Tory scum, possible paedophile, baby killer and so on ' I really do despair and am genuinely concerned about what might happen if corbyn wins. where will there bile be directed next?
    I think you have a cheek.
    You seem to have forgotten about the astonishing & relentless 4 year Tory campaign against Ed Miliband's Face.
    When Ed Miliband was a Labour Minister he was on Newsnight and other tv all the time. Nobody commented about his face. He was simply a (reasonably) good looking youngish man of Polish/Jewish Extraction.

Why did the Tory Party/Crosby suddenly decide that there was something a bit "weird" about certain facial features of the Miliband family? 5 minutes after the Labour Leadership Election was complete.
    It really is a puzzle.

If you want to discuss the descent of recent political discourse into the gutter....lets look at the whole picture. Where will it go next? Will it be a "nice Election" if Theresa May (who has a very serious medical condition) buckles under the strain?
    I cannot answer that. Crosby is perfectly qualified to predict what happens in the gutter.

Hmm. It took me just over 2 seconds to find a Hannah Middlebrook in Oklahoma, lies or not.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Drew_TNBD said:

No party could ever deliver a manifesto that you agree with 100%. Not voting is a legitimate option if you feel that way. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    edited May 2017
    Hmm. It took me just over 2 seconds to find a Hannah Middlebrook in Oklahoma, lies or not.
    And she appears to be a registered Democrat as well. 

https://oklahomaresidentdb.com/person/720667797/hannah_michelle_middlebrook

Obviously no proof etc but who knows with the stupid world of Facebook. 

Apparently there's a Hanna Kemp Middlebrook in Tulsa, Oklahoma who works in marketing for a local church - it's not her. I haven't looked, but usually SJWs are easy to find. I just find the way it is phrased odd - if she were a US SJW then surly she'd have spun it round the other way - "look at the UK - people treated by paramedics by a health service that is state funded so nobody who was injured will have to pay for their treatment or recovery etc ... why don't we have this in the US .. blah blah bah." I'm not sure what to believe any more.

I'm staying off Facebook for a while .. the Tories have launched a media campaign .. utterly cringe worthy.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Drew_TNBD said:

No party could ever deliver a manifesto that you agree with 100%. Not voting is a legitimate option if you feel that way. 
    As is spoiling your ballot.  Whether or not you think it is worthwhile travelling to vote to do that is up to you
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Recently I've been getting targeted YouTube ads telling me Jeremy Corbyn is dangerous.

Is this hype for a new rap album?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

As is spoiling your ballot.  Whether or not you think it is worthwhile travelling to vote to do that is up to you
    I wasn't going to vote but I am now. I'm going on the manifesto and the policies so for me it's Labour. My local Labour candidate won't win, but if the result is close analysts will perhaps work out that Labour did well because its policies were popular with voters. Might give the Tories and Lib Dems a wake-up call.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    Fretwired said:
    Apparently there's a Hanna Kemp Middlebrook in Tulsa, Oklahoma who works in marketing for a local church - it's not her. I haven't looked, but usually SJWs are easy to find. I just find the way it is phrased odd - if she were a US SJW then surly she'd have spun it round the other way - "look at the UK - people treated by paramedics by a health service that is state funded so nobody who was injured will have to pay for their treatment or recovery etc ... why don't we have this in the US .. blah blah bah." I'm not sure what to believe any more.

I'm staying off Facebook for a while .. the Tories have launched a media campaign .. utterly cringe worthy.
    The SJW bit is an edit from someone else.