The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    ICBM said:
    I'm still completely baffled why the Parliamentary Labour Party - or the SNP - are in favour of this election. If they want to do the most possible harm to May's government *and* Corbyn's leadership, as well as probably saving some of their own skins, they need to vote it down. Nothing will do more to upset May's plans and reputation than trying to call the election she wants and finding she can't.
    Because 'we don't think we can win the election' is a pretty shameful and damaging position to take.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's become fashionable to slag Corbyn off.  Anyone foolish enough to publicly defend him in the slightest will be ridiculed.
    People feel safe slagging him off as they can appear to know something about politics when they actually know fuck-all.  It's a safe bet to join in with the crowing as the chances of anyone challenging their "opinion" with real facts are very slim indeed, probably because the person/people they're discussing him with are also clueless and scared of being exposed as such, so the crowing continues ad-nauseum as everyone plays the safe card.  

You see it with lots of subjects where people have strong support for the safe card because they're scared that admitting they don't know much about the subject will put them at risk of appearing stupid.  Fucking egos get in the way of most things.

Vociferous proclaiments that Elvis was "the best" yet struggle to name more than half a dozen songs of his; that they are fervent supporters of Man Utd, yet couldn't name more than two players; people who join in with the chorus of abuse at the referee while watching the footie in the pub when they haven't got a clue why - because it's what everyone else is doing and they're scared of looking stupid.  People who can't be arsed to do any research, look at the arguments and form their own opinions, so fall in line with whatever everyone else says or whatever their tabloid rag tells them to think.

Elections are won and lost because of these people.
    Most of the people slagging off Corbyn are Labour MPs. The media feeds off Labour discontentment.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    I imagine a great many sitting Labour MPs are getting a tad twitchy about selection committees...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Anyone who puts social justice in their key policy updates can go and fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I mean.. check this garbage out...

http://www.jeremyforlabour.com/policies

“We will never be a successful society in which everybody is able to achieve their potential until we have full equality for women. We will take action to remove the barriers in our society to women achieving full equality. We will tackle discrimination, sexism and violence against women and girls. We will not transform society overnight but working together we can take us further along the path to an equal society for all”.  

The next Labour government, under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, will take decisive action against sexism, discrimination and violence against women and girls. 

Absolute cancer. His policies are SJW tripe.

You think equality is tripe?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29132
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    Evilmags said:
    The next three months will be filled with left wing tears. Labour is reaping what it sowed. Just hilarious really. Self righteousness and incompetence don't win elections. 
    1) Labour haven't been left wing for decades.
    2) Self righteousness and incompetence have won almost every election!
    But Corbyn is left wing ..

By comparison yes, but Labour isn't, and hasn't been for decades.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4874
    Nitefly said:
    I imagine a great many sitting Labour MPs are getting a tad twitchy about selection committees...

I've read that any sitting Labour MP will be automatically reselected as the candidate for this election. To be confirmed later on today. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Interestingly my hypothesis that the snap election is being done to neuter the Brexit backbenchers is one supported by some fund managers. 

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/pound-recoups-losses-as-may-calls-early-election-in-june-20170418

To me, that points to May's Brexit plans being less than the hard Brexit some demand. 

• MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Anyone who puts social justice in their key policy updates can go and fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I mean.. check this garbage out...

“We will never be a successful society in which everybody is able to achieve their potential until we have full equality for women. We will take action to remove the barriers in our society to women achieving full equality. We will tackle discrimination, sexism and violence against women and girls. We will not transform society overnight but working together we can take us further along the path to an equal society for all”.  

The next Labour government, under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, will take decisive action against sexism, discrimination and violence against women and girls. 

Do you believe women do not have equal rights in our society? 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    I'm still completely baffled why the Parliamentary Labour Party - or the SNP - are in favour of this election. If they want to do the most possible harm to May's government *and* Corbyn's leadership, as well as probably saving some of their own skins, they need to vote it down. Nothing will do more to upset May's plans and reputation than trying to call the election she wants and finding she can't.

But so far, they all seem to want to walk straight into the obvious trap. I suppose the Lib Dems probably have the least to lose and the most to potentially gain, but only because they can barely lose any more seats.
    The best thing for the SNP is a right-wing Tory government at Westminster with a 50+ majority in the HoC. Sturgeon will claim it's Thatcher MK2 and support for Indy2 will probably rise in Scotland. It will also do the SNP no harm come the next Scottish election to have the hated Tories in power negotiating Brexit.

Corbyn is stuck between a rock and hard place. He has rightly said, as has the media, that May has no mandate to take the UK out of the single market. There are also people, especially on here, who say she has no mandate to be PM. May is therefore in a win/win situation. If Labour vote down her bid for an election she can say she tried to get a mandate but she failed, so one line of attack is now closed to Labour. Corbyn will be called a coward. At least Corbyn can fight an election and I bet he has one eye on some of his troublesome MPs getting the boot. A smaller Labour group would allow the left to consolidate power and choose maybe 50 new candidates for the next election which I think will be a problem for the Tories.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Women and girls are legally protected by equality legislation in this country, so they have access to equal rights.

"Modern" society sits on top of thousands of years of male dominance and female supression.  So are we a gender equal society?  No, of course not.  

Before you get all uptight and confrontational about that statement, I don't mean that all men are woman haters, or that all womem are victims in society.  But the nature of where we come from means that there are biases in our culture and society that often disadvantage women and girls.  There are many reasons for that, but it's disingenuous to claim it's not there.

We're better than we ever have been, but that doesn't mean that we have equality.  So yes, a political party that has social equality as a mission statement is a good thing in my book.
    Mark de Manbey

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    edited April 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    It's become fashionable to slag Corbyn off.  Anyone foolish enough to publicly defend him in the slightest will be ridiculed.
    People feel safe slagging him off as they can appear to know something about politics when they actually know fuck-all.  It's a safe bet to join in with the crowing as the chances of anyone challenging their "opinion" with real facts are very slim indeed, probably because the person/people they're discussing him with are also clueless and scared of being exposed as such, so the crowing continues ad-nauseum as everyone plays the safe card.  

You see it with lots of subjects where people have strong support for the safe card because they're scared that admitting they don't know much about the subject will put them at risk of appearing stupid.  Fucking egos get in the way of most things.

Vociferous proclaiments that Elvis was "the best" yet struggle to name more than half a dozen songs of his; that they are fervent supporters of Man Utd, yet couldn't name more than two players; people who join in with the chorus of abuse at the referee while watching the footie in the pub when they haven't got a clue why - because it's what everyone else is doing and they're scared of looking stupid.  People who can't be arsed to do any research, look at the arguments and form their own opinions, so fall in line with whatever everyone else says or whatever their tabloid rag tells them to think.

I wouldn't pretend to be the world's foremost political commentator.  I was a Labour member for about eight years though, and did get involved in how the party works, reading up  on and voting in every election whether it was leadership, NEC, mayoral candidate selection, all the way back to when old JC was a nonentity chained to the backbenches. 

The Tory party's just as interesting, although I couldn't claim to have anywhere as near as much knowledge of them.  Same with the Libs, although as someone said yesterday in the paper, they're a bit easier as the entire parliamentary party would fit in a Renault Espace. 

After all that I'm bound to have an opinion (or four).

1) After all that agonising, I'm still centre-left, probably most closely aligned with the Labour party
    2) Your man Corbyn's a useless twat
    3) Telling people they know fuck-all unless they like Corbyn and *don't* think he's a useless twat is the single most destructive thing you can do if chasing votes for the left is your goal
    4) Plenty of people liked Elvis, he sold a lot of records.  He must've been doing something right.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Yes I do. I think it's an anti-reality concept that has no relevance in the modern world.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Women and girls are legally protected by equality legislation in this country, so they have access to equal rights.

"Modern" society sits on top of thousands of years of male dominance and female supression.  So are we a gender equal society?  No, of course not. 
    Except it doesn't. It sits on top of thousands of years of male disposability and a female ponzi protection racket. Because of biology.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

This is bloody hilarious. From the guy who seems to ejaculate every time he slags off Trump, the hypocrisy is ASTTTOOOUUUNNNDDDDDIINNNGGGGGGGG !!
    Drew_TNBD said:
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Except it doesn't. It sits on top of thousands of years of male disposability and a female ponzi protection racket. Because of biology.
    You should probably get out more.
    Mark de Manbey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

You should probably educate yourself:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Male-Power-Warren-Farrell-ebook/dp/B00IDHV5EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492592254&sr=8-1&keywords=the+myth+of+male+power

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myth-Male-Power-Warren-Farrell-ebook/dp/B00IDHV5EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492592254&sr=8-1&keywords=the+myth+of+male+power

^ Agreed that we should all be better educated.
    Mark de Manbey

MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

^ Agreed that we should all be better educated.
    Read the book.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    octatonic said:
    ICBM said:
    Because 'we don't think we can win the election' is a pretty shameful and damaging position to take.
    I think for the Labour Party it's more about 'taking part' than winning. 

In much the the same way the England football team play in the World Cup or Euros. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom