The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5406

Found this short documentary about scotland after brexit and the second referendum 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:

Do it. Tim Nice But Dim isn't actually any worse than Corbyn or May.
    May's ratings are quite high actually. Tim isn't much higher than Corbyn. I bet Clegg wishes he never resigned - he'd do much better than Tim. I really can't stand the bloke - he's an Evangelical Christian ..
    does he believe in Flat Earth?
    Only if that's what it says in the Bible.  I think siraxeman did suggest the Bible backs up Flat Earth, but there was some debate about whether or not the concepts of discs, circles, balls or globes were clearly understood in Old Testament times....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Philly_Q said:
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:

Do it. Tim Nice But Dim isn't actually any worse than Corbyn or May.
    May's ratings are quite high actually. Tim isn't much higher than Corbyn. I bet Clegg wishes he never resigned - he'd do much better than Tim. I really can't stand the bloke - he's an Evangelical Christian ..
    does he believe in Flat Earth?
    Only if that's what it says in the Bible.  I think siraxeman did suggest the Bible backs up Flat Earth, but there was some debate about whether or not the concepts of discs, circles, balls or globes were clearly understood in Old Testament times....
    The Greeks decided the Earth was round in 600 BC and proved it mathematically in 300 BC. The Egyptians also thought the world was round and were pretty close at calculating  the actual size of the Earth.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    quarky said:

The difference is, you can *choose* to vote tactically. These parties want to remove the freedom to make choice from you, without your consent, and the are doing it deliberately to suit their own personal interests. That is not democracy, that isn't freedom. That is wrong, and actually, cowardly.
    But like so many others in this country, even trying to vote tactically in the constituency I live in, my vote would still be wasted.  How is my democratic choice being served by a system where I get no meaningful input into my political representation?  Is that democracy?

Again, I would rather my actual vote counted in some fashion, but if the system itself cannot serve democracy, I'll happily take the "cowardly" option over the illusion of freedom we're funnelled into by a ludicrously skewed Parliamentary voting system.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Every vote is (pretty much, within a country of the UK at least) equal. Just follow it to the extreme, and you end up with only one vote actually being worth anything, which is blatant nonsense. Democracy doesn't mean that your vote elects the winner. Obviously FPTP isn't the best way to elect representatives, but none of them are perfect really.
    Sporky said:
    Evilmags said:
    The next three months will be filled with left wing tears. Labour is reaping what it sowed. Just hilarious really. Self righteousness and incompetence don't win elections. 
    1) Labour haven't been left wing for decades.
    2) Self righteousness and incompetence have won almost every election!
    But Corbyn is left wing .. nationalise the railways, high taxes for wealthy people, property taxes to fund the NHS.

Some of Corbyn's policies that have public support - I doubt much has changed since 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news-14-5/the-jeremy-corbyn-policies-that-most-people-actually-agree-with-10407148.html

Labour will need to swing back *away* from the left if they are to have any chance.
    quarky said:
    Labour will need to swing back *away* from the left if they are to have any chance.
    Europe's heading to the left - as I said earlier people are fed up with globalisation - another UK company was sold today and production will be moved overseas. People will see their living standards fall as wages fail to rise in line with inflation, the NHS will be in crisis and the housing crisis will bite. I think the Tories days are numbered - their core vote is dying.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Fretwired said:

The Greeks decided the Earth was round in 600 BC and proved it mathematically in 300 BC. The Egyptians also thought the world was round and were pretty close at calculating  the actual size of the Earth. 
    That was also the Greeks - Eratosthenes to be exact - although he was working in Egypt. He calculated the size of the Earth to within about 1% of the true value.

However right now I'd probably vote for someone who thinks the world is flat and that NASA faked the assassination of JFK and buried the evidence under WTC7 if they have a chance of undoing May's little scheme.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    dindude said:
    Despite the polls, all this complacency around Corbyn being out of the race sounds dangerously like how Trump was missed (and to some extent Brexit). That really would be a hatrick for the idiots.
    the polling errors were about people answering polls, then voting more right wing than they had admitted in the polling interview
    I'm not aware of people in any recent comparable election pretending to be more right wing, then voting left wing
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Corbyn is a clueless cunt of the highest order. Didn't he say last week he wanted free school meals for all children and he would tax private school fees to pay for it?  He has no clue about money and doesn't own a calculator. His sums never add up ! 

£10 an hour minimum wage. How will he fund that.

Nationalise the railways?!?!  How will he pay for that? 

The man is a dreaming wanker of the highest order.

I also give you Diane Abbott is she like the labour person designed to get the vote in London? 

Corbyn tells people on the line what they want to hear but he has not got a hope in hell of delivering on a single one of his soundbite promises. 

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 345

Earlier this year I came to the conclusion that all of us who want a more fair and equal society will probably always be in the the minority

Similarly those of us who wish for peaceful coexistence amongst all peoples regardless of what they think. feel or believe in are unlikely to see our wishes come true as so many are invested in the alternative

Some people will always have more than others but  that doesn’t mean that everyone shouldn’t have enough

Contentment is achievable, and a good place to be, as long as you accept that there will always be others who are trying to turn the boat over

I’m not always right about things, but more often than not I am

The opportunity is now upon us to demonstrate that our actions are not only defined by self interest. So, if you want rid of the current Government and, you are not ideologically supportive of Conservatism, don’t over complicate matters by trying to second guess the future - just vote Labour …

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    DavidRees said:

Earlier this year I came to the conclusion that all of us who want a more fair and equal society will probably always be in the the minority....

Some people will always have more than others but  that doesn’t mean that everyone shouldn’t have enough

just vote Labour …

That's the thing though isn't, who decides what is fair? The "have nots" taking from the "haves"? Who decides what is "enough"? The "have nots"? 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25508
    Well, that's pissed me off more than a general election in whenever the fuck it was supposed to be.  The sheeple have all bought in to the character assassination of Corbyn by the almost exclusively right-wing press, without really knowing a damn thing about the man or his principles or any of the manifestos of any of the parties.  The chances of Labour winning are less than mine of climbing Annapurna and it's inevitable that we are now going to be faced with an emboldened bunch of Tory bastards until at least 2022.

Fuck.

She shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose when to have a general election !
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yeah but come on Corbyn is a massive purple helmet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    It's all become a Monty Python farce -
    In retrospect the MSM have done to Corbyn what they did to Foot - they were much too dangerous to the establishment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    capo4th said:
    Yeah but come on Corbyn is a massive purple helmet

he has principles and beliefs that he has been pretty consistent with his entire career, you may not agree with them, but doesn't make him a helmet. He's not perfect, but he's a darn sight better than May IMO.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6374
    I've always been a left leaner but my local Labour candidate is a complete and utter twat who could not string a coherent sentence together, let alone spell the word 'sentence'.
    I despair sometimes!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    DavidRees said:

Earlier this year I came to the conclusion that all of us who want a more fair and equal society will probably always be in the the minority

Similarly those of us who wish for peaceful coexistence amongst all peoples regardless of what they think. feel or believe in are unlikely to see our wishes come true 

I feel the reason we're not seeing this wish come true is Corbyn's pig-headed intransigence which is the very thing that's going to ensure his much-lauded 'principles' make the square root of Fanny Adams difference to those who really need it as he will never gain power. 

The sheer ambivalence he appears to show towards actually winning an election is nothing short of a disgrace. 

The evil Blair at least understood that you had a choice: either compromise and get half of your policies put in statute, or keep on with the ideological purity in opposition where you'll see exactly none of your policies realised. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16469
    equalsql said:
    I've always been a left leaner but my local Labour candidate is a complete and utter twat who could not string a coherent sentence together, let alone spell the word 'sentence'.
    I despair sometimes!

it's interesting, but if more of us voted for our individual MP and not blindly along party lines, then our system of democracy would be a lot more democratic. The party system has a lot to answer for.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    The problem with Corbyn isn't his policies - it's his leadership.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom