Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Am I aloud?
    Are you bringing beer?
    @Bridgehouse , do you think that all I do is drink beer and make love to beautiful women?
    Are bears catholic?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    (Of course you can come to the ball @Handsome_Chris)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    Ok,

Here is the List of 'Jammy Gits' with Current Status.
    If you're going please PM @Bridgehouse and he will arrange your £8 contribution with you directly.
    So, in no particular order, those who are so far definitely going are:

1. @octatonic
    2. @Ennspek
    3. @TheBlueWolf
    4. @TheOtherDennis
    5. @WezV
    6. @Flink_Poyd
    7. @DigitalScream
    8. @Strangefan
    9. @Strumjoughlamps
    10. @LegionReturns
    11. @Monofin
    12. @MarkBlagdon
    13. @Darthed1981
    14. @Pablo
    15. @TTony
    16. @Roland
    17. @Not_The_DJ
    18. @Handsome_Chris
    19. @Horse
    20. @TADodger
    21. @Fandango
    22. @Impmann
    23. @Aord43
    24. @ChrisMusic
    25. @Vinylfan

And the list of TBC's are:

1. @EricTheWeary
    2. @Bigjon
    3. @LuttiS
    4. @Antifash

@TheBlueWolf now added to the list.

@Handsome_Chris has made a space in his busy schedule of drinking beer and making love to beautiful women and has now been added to the list.

27 Confirmed.

4 on TBC

3 places left in Total now.

• vizviz Frets: 10771
    Alnico said:
    @viz ..........can you make this event?
    Hey mate, sorry, no we're giggin' that evening; I'd love to though, it looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy it. And thanks for asking :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    viz said:
    Alnico said:
    @viz ..........can you make this event?
    Hey mate, sorry, no we're giggin' that evening; I'd love to though, it looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy it. And thanks for asking :)
    No problem my friend,

Next time would be my pleasure man.
    :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    Yes mine too
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    Am I aloud?
    Are you bringing beer?
    Did you need someone to bring beer?

I could easily pick up a couple of free crates from work

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Am I aloud?
    Are you bringing beer?
    Did you need someone to bring beer?

I could easily pick up a couple of free crates from work

Probably the best beer in the world !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    Definitely no Carlsberg! ;)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I note there's to be some "shreddy stuff".

Please can we not pander to this nonsense. I thought this was a jam, not an ego driven sideshow practising scales/arpeggios at 100 miles an hour. Can't folks leave that stuff at home, and we play some songs? 

Sorry if this sounds like a whinging pom, but really?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:

Please can we not pander to this nonsense. I thought this was a jam, not an ego driven sideshow practising scales/arpeggios at 100 miles an hour. Can't folks leave that stuff at home, and we play some songs? 

The aim is to try to make room for everyone and as many styles as we can.
    There will be those who find that style easy and those who aren't even close to it and I include myself in that, I'm not a shredder at all. Those who can and want to will get some time just like the blues guys, strummers, beginners and everything else we can include.
    We'll try to keep a nice balance as much as possible.

Shredding isn't nonsense just as much as Blues isn't boring and it is a Jam. The idea of having *some* songs agreed in advance is to give some structure to a 5-hour event and, as @octatonic said quite early on, to avoid it turning into hours of 12 bar repetition with no real musicality.

I'll take your point on board so to speak and between us three, we'll try to keep the whole thing balanced with something for everyone.

Is that fair enough?

@octatonic
     @Bridgehouse

what's your view on this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    octatonic said:
    I would caution against making the set list overly prescriptive.
    We want to make this fun, and not make people feel like this is homework.
    Actually, homework would be useful. If we have a menu of, say, 12 songs then one of us could put together chord charts. I'd also find it useful to listen to the songs beforehand.

... which reminds me. Does the venue have music stands?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:
    fandango said:

The aim is to try to make room for everyone and as many styles as we can.
    There will be those who find that style easy and those who aren't even close to it and I include myself in that, I'm not a shredder at all. Those who can and want to will get some time just like the blues guys, strummers, beginners and everything else we can include.
    We'll try to keep a nice balance as much as possible.

Shredding isn't nonsense just as much as Blues isn't boring and it is a Jam. The idea of having *some* songs agreed in advance is to give some structure to a 5-hour event and, as @octatonic said quite early on, to avoid it turning into hours of 12 bar repetition with no real musicality.

I'll take your point on board so to speak and between us three, we'll try to keep the whole thing balanced with something for everyone.

Is that fair enough?

@octatonic
     @Bridgehouse

what's your view on this?
    Agree.
    I respect that fandango doesn't like shred but some of us do and enough of us that we might be able to have some fun with it.
    This is a day for all of us so I'd like to see a balance of musical styles.

We aren't talking endless shredding over a backing track- we are playing a couple of Extreme songs, which are mostly vocally driven with fairly short solos.

On a wider note- maybe this can be a call to musical tolerance?
    There are a few musical styles that aren't my cup of tea but I'm prepared to give anything a go in order to keep everyone happy.
    I get why some folks might not like shred or hard rock but to be so disparaging about a musical style and then asking that we 'leave it at home' comes across as pretty intolerant.
    If if we were going to be playing 'ego driven sideshow nonsense' (which we aren't) then why is that such a problem for a short period of time if people are enjoying it?
    I'd like to see people come out and express themselves- even if it means playing music that isn't my thing.
    It is about allowing people to go out and take some chances, to reveal who they are as musicians.

To me that would be success, rather than narrowly dictating what can and cannot be played by others.
    Just a thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    octatonic said:
    Actually, homework would be useful. If we have a menu of, say, 12 songs then one of us could put together chord charts. I'd also find it useful to listen to the songs beforehand.

I honestly don't know.
    It shouldn't be too difficult to find out although I don't remember us having them last time.....
     @TheOtherDennis .......can you remember us using music stands?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    edited July 2017
    I especially want to hear music which "isn't my thing". I can get "more of the same" at home.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27953
    Alnico said:
    One other thing worth organising is transport, which I'm happy to do. If we've got people coming from various parts of the country, car sharing is definitely a thing and whilst they might appreciate 30 ish people buying coffees etc I don't they'd be too keen on 30 cars.

Does that sound like a good idea? 
    Yeah I agree.
    I'll have some space in my hire car too and I'm more than happy to help out.
    Perhaps add people's location onto the list of attendees?  That way we can easily see if there are people in the same area who might be able to arrange car sharing.

South Norfolk.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Alnico said:
    One other thing worth organising is transport, which I'm happy to do. If we've got people coming from various parts of the country, car sharing is definitely a thing and whilst they might appreciate 30 ish people buying coffees etc I don't they'd be too keen on 30 cars.

Does that sound like a good idea? 
    Yeah I agree.
    I'll have some space in my hire car too and I'm more than happy to help out.
    Perhaps add people's location onto the list of attendees?  That way we can easily see if there are people in the same area who might be able to arrange car sharing.

South Norfolk.
    Good idea.
    As people let me know I'll amend that.
    We'll have to find a way of making that list easier to get to rather than having it getting lost in what's not 11 pages and probably will turn into a lot more.

I think the easiest way will be for @Bridgehouse to edit the OP once we get the full 30 people confirmed and put it right at the beginning on Page 1 but I'm on top of it for now and it's up to date for now so let's wait until we're full and then do that?
    The idea is then that if there are alterations and people who have to pull out/TBC's moving onto the confirmed list then @Bridgehouse can edit that accordingly. It won't be difficult for me to make a temporary manual note of it until one of us speaks to him and he does that.
    Does that sound like a good plan?

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2017
    Let's chuck in some fun and easy pub cover band classics:

Teenage Kicks
    Ever Fallen in Love
    20th Century Boy
    Pretty Vacant
    Crossroads
    Rocking in the Free World

That sort of thing...

If anyone can sing it I'd love to do Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream"

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Roland said:
    octatonic said:

I'm sure it will have, but I tend to have one in my bits and cables box anyway, so there will be at least one!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I knew my comments would throw the cat amongst the pigeons. No offence intended, and appreciate I could have been more tactful, or just kept my mouth shut.

And i am glad, i'm glad, i'm glad (poss song choice, not that i can play it yet) that there will be a variety of styles, despite that, wouldnt a 5 hour rendition of Dark Star be something*, eh?  ;)

Que sera sera.

* I really am a windup merchant today, aren't I?