Who's never played to an audience?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Blackjack said:
    I have not played to a 'proper' audience.  Have played twice with some friends at home infront of the other guests but not a real, public audience.  Have been wanting to try a beginners open mic for a while now but most people I speak to about it seem to think I am getting ideas above my ability so not done it yet. Would love to but.... 
    fuck the naysayers. Nobody at jam gives a fuck if you're a complete beginner or Steve Vai, all are given support and all are friendly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited August 2017
    Here's my story which hopefully might encourage some people.

When I formed my first band I couldn't play a whole song. Joining the band meant I had to up my game and practice properly. We learnt about 20 odd covers together in the first 12 months and then over the next 4 years built up an original catalogue - largely thanks  to the singer who wrote lyrics to chords that we then worked up into full songs as a band.

That songwriting process together was great and we'd all chip in with ideas for each other. I miss that creative element now I'm not in that band.

I've gigged pubs all round my local area, a couple of small festivals and even in a shopping centre. I also played acoustic at mate's wedding for his future wife as she walked into the ceremony. His Sis sang and me and the other guitarist in our band played.

I'm one of the least able players on here from what I've read and heard from others - so if I can do that anyone can.

I'm not comfortable being on stage either  - it comes with time though. And alcohol!

I haven't done a gig for 6/7 years but still get together with others now and again to make some noise and play a few covers on our own terms.

We get to choose songs we like - not ones an audience would necessarily want to hear. It's great.

Getting out and playing with others is what keeps the little interest I have in playing going.

So I'd say to anyone who hasn't played with others before - just do it. Make it happen.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Here's another thought... In the modern world, playing gigs can reach a hundred or so at best in the amateur world... Sitting in your bedroom with a camera can reach millions, and you get to edit out your mistakes and try it as many times as you like before letting the world see it. Is YouTube the new open mic? 

No. Because nothing beats playing in front of a live audience.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    octatonic said:
    Go out and do it chaps.

It is hard, and you only ever play at 70% of your non-gigging ability (which is why you have to level up) but it is the best thing about playing.

Now there's my problem.  70% of shite is very shite.

The nearest I've been to playing in front of an audience is mucking about at a rehearsal studio with a bunch of other "guitarists" (quotation marks optional depending on level of incomptetence).  Much like the upcoming forum jam... but a lot less organised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited August 2017
    Philly_Q said:
    octatonic said:
    Go out and do it chaps.

It is hard, and you only ever play at 70% of your non-gigging ability (which is why you have to level up) but it is the best thing about playing.

Now there's my problem.  70% of shite is very shite.

The nearest I've been to playing in front of an audience is mucking about at a rehearsal studio with a bunch of other "guitarists" (quotation marks optional depending on level of incomptetence).  Much like the upcoming forum jam... but a lot less organised.
    You get better at it the more you do it.
    If you never start then you never get better at it.
    We all go through the difficult phase.
    Be brave.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    Ok then, is there anyone in the Stirling area who might be interested in a get-together? Not to the same detail as the forum jam, mind you....

Adam
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    I think, maybe, some of the reticence is that guitarists think about guitar oriented music and the pressure of reeling off well known riffs and amazing solos whereas there's lots of stuff out there where the guitar isn't featured all the time and even in a guitar based band the audience focus is more on the singer. 

I remember years ago someone posted a couple of videos of their rockabilly band on Musicradar. I thought there's going to be some clever, twiddly guitar stuff in here and there absolutely wasn't; played about as straight as you can imagine but a good group performance with a clear vocal. With a guitarist head on maybe a bit disappointing but actually really enjoyable stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited August 2017
    I ran a Guitar Club for 6 weeks in the local Maltings a couple of late summers ago. Random guitarists came with all sorts of gear and styles and degrees of capability, but all with one purpose - to be entertained, inspired and pick up tips. It was though, in effect, a One Man Show!

This is WORSE than a casual audience! Mainly cos they are already largely fixed in their views and styles and consequently highly judgemental.

It was a rampaging success with lots of cries for me to to continue, but as it was offered free and winter looming, I couldn't be arsed to haul all my gear in the cold wet and gloom.

It did prove I could work a room with both playing and chat/humour and as a consequence any perceived fear of standing on a stage with my pants round my ankles has long gone.

I jape my students that we will go 'a Busking. This frightens them to death, but each week I mention it and get them to come up with a song routine that they could apply. This is the next best way to break the back of fear of live...

https://s26.postimg.org/yluyfxse1/Guitar_club_flyer.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Iamnobody said:

I've gigged pubs all round my local area, a couple of small festivals and even in a shopping centre. I also played acoustic at mates wedding as his wife walked into the ceremony.
    I bet his wife must've been furious when she caught him getting married again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I used to be terribly nervous, when I was playing covers, but never suffered the same nerves when I played original material. Different bands!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    Iamnobody said:

I've gigged pubs all round my local area, a couple of small festivals and even in a shopping centre. I also played acoustic at mates wedding as his wife walked into the ceremony.
    I bet his wife must've been furious when she caught him getting married again.
    Pedant! Future wife...

Thanks for highlighting my appalling grammar though. I've edited my post before the apostrophe police get wind of it.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    it is definitely scary if you haven't done it before, but it's loads of fun and well worth it in the end. Thing to remember is that if it's a jam night, there'll be people who can play better than you, people who can't play as well as you, and none of them will care, so just enjoy it, you're not being judged. And if anyone is judging you, then they're not worth paying attention to. Playing in a band to an audience I guess is slightly different, but generally they're there to see you, and want you to do well, so it's all good. I think playing live is also great as sometimes you do actually find a new level to your playing with all the excitement/adrenaline, and play stuff that you wouldn't have done before. It's awesome.

I don't get nerves anymore really...I think once you get used to it, those will go away. The only time I do now, which is quite weird, is at the rock school thing I teach at. The first half hour each morning is for performances from the kids, and the organiser likes the tutors to play once piece during the week too. I absolutely shit myself doing that, no idea why, doesn't happen at all when I'm leading the classes etc. Possibly because in that situation I'm definitely supposed to be good and know what I'm doing. I'm usually pretty confident in my playing, but for some reason lose it a bit in front of a group of kids  =)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11107
    tFB Trader
    I did my first paid gig to an audience at 15 ... er ... 43 years ago ... playing in a dance/jazz quartet, then played in punk, metal, blues and rockabilly bands pretty much till I started Oil City Pickups ... which leaves me very little time even to practise these days. 
    Playing in front of an audience is the best 'legal high' you can get ... in fact you can get paid to get your fix! I miss it horribly, but sadly it won't pay the rent any more :-)
    I'd encourage any bedroom warrior to get out there and give it a go. It improves your playing far more than hours of sterile solo practise. Finding good playing partners or bandmates can be tricky, but you will make some friends for life in the search. Jam nights are a brilliant way in for the nervous, but nothing beats working with a bunch of good mates to get your shit together and go entertain others.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I can't stand other people.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    lol sounds just like me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    It's the best thing about being a musician! It's such a rush. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited August 2017
    Sassafras said:
    That hasn't stopped Morrissey from having a successful career....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10771
    mike_l said:
    Blackjack said:
    I have not played to a 'proper' audience.  Have played twice with some friends at home infront of the other guests but not a real, public audience.  Have been wanting to try a beginners open mic for a while now but most people I speak to about it seem to think I am getting ideas above my ability so not done it yet. Would love to but.... 
    fuck the naysayers. Nobody at jam gives a fuck if you're a complete beginner or Steve Vai, all are given support and all are friendly.
    Yeah, come on down to Cambridge jam night, even if you just sit and have a drink the first time, just to get the feel of the thing, but you'd be welcomed up to have a go and as Mike says, everyone's just friendly and nice, whatever and however you're playing!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FezFez Frets: 541
    Bedroom players are actually important because they buy gear which helps to keep our beloved emporiums open. So don't worry if you don't want to play out. However I would encourage you to try it, the rewards are beyond measure. @customkits I live in Crawley, it would be great to get together for a pint and a chinwag. Come to think about it we are long overdue a southern area beer & social.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    mike_l said:
    Blackjack said:
    Yeah, come on down to Cambridge jam night, even if you just sit and have a drink the first time, just to get the feel of the thing, but you'd be welcomed up to have a go and as Mike says, everyone's just friendly and nice, whatever and however you're playing!

Just don't try to keep up with viz.................

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)