• Peavey Classic 50 2x12
    • Yamaha THR10C
    • Victory V40 head + Zilla vertical 2x12
    • H&K Puretone head
    • MJW Roadstar 36 head
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm this could be a bigger list than I’d like but let’s have a go:

Crappy SS 10w practice amp. It was the kind you get with your first guitar

Fender Mini Tweed thing, battery powered mini amp. Actually decent, for what they are intended.

Vox Ad100VTH. Absolutely massive considering it was just a modelling head. Never had a cab so had to use headphones, flogged it for peanuts in part exchange for a…

Vox Pathfinder 15r. Good practice amp, nice reverb. No idea whether I sold this or traded it in somewhere. At the same time got given a…

Marshall MG15CDR. I suppose it was decent, had a great spring reverb. Gave it away.

Vox Lil Night Train. My first valve amp. Loved it, sounded great with gain just before 12 oclock and then boosted. Had no reverb though so sold it.

Orange Micro Terror. Awful. Sold it.

Vox AC4TV. Muddy, muffled, too loud for drive, no reverb. Looked like my nan’s suitcase. Flogged it, terrible amp.

Blackstar HT5. Not sure why I bought this, but it was decent just didn’t sound right to me. Traded it in as couldn’t sell it, got a Line 6 M5 in return L terrible deal.

Wangs VT15. Became the Fretboard village bike I believe. Decent amp head in all fairness.

Fender Pro Junior in Tweed. Despite having no master volume or reverb, was actually nice and useful. Flogged it though as too loud and I wanted a…

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Hands down the best amp I’ve ever had. I only sold it because I needed space ahead of moving into my own place. Would have one tomorrow if I had the room for it.

Vox Brian May Special (deacy copy with treble boost). Great little thing for Brian May sounds, I sold it but may be about to buy it back from the same person.

Randall RM50 modular amp. Was decent but way too big, I got it mega cheap at an auction but needed the space so it went. Not sure why I bought it as it was bigger than the Hot Rod.

Mooer Little Monster BM (bassman). Sounded nothing like a bassman, had no gain whatsoever and needed a 12 band eq in order to not sound awful.

Fender Greta. 2nd best amp I’ve owned. Not sure why I flogged it but I think it’s because I wanted something non-ampy. Would happily have one again.

Fender 68 Custom Reissue Princeton Reverb. Sold a LOT of stuff at silly prices in order to buy this, and it has been largely underwhelming. Would prefer to sell.

Marshall JTM1 (the 1watt series). Too loud to overdrive (no master) and no reverb. Sold it for what I paid for it new, not here.

Supro 1605R Super Reverb. Great little thing, very dinky amp with the Supro sound, but with a master volume and reverb, and some very useful input/output options. Runs the Fender Greta close for 2nd best amp I’ve had but cost nearly 10 times the price of what the Greta cost me. Mental but I would imagine difficult to sell for how much they are so I shall keep it. 

Well two years on...

Managed to sell the '68 Princeton and the Supro 1605R. Princeton was useless for me apart from two open mic things I played at a library where it sounded good as it was not too loud there, but in my spare room it was useless. The Supro was a nice little thing but could not justify something of that monetary value.

Since the above I've also had:

Peavey Studio Pro. Big, heavy, loud, wasn't really what I wanted sadly even using external preamp into the return. Sold it in about a month after purchasing it.

Fender Deluxe 112 Plus (solid state amp). Bought it as thought a basic Fender clean might work, knowing that the speaker had blown and required replacing. I then found out the cost of replacement speakers and realised it was definitely not worth it. Couldn't sell it (try as I might) so I gave it away. I even struggled to give it away, I had to drive 20 minutes in order to give it away!

Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 reissue. Amazing sounding amp, I bought it on impulse because it was only £400 in Crack Generators and I figured I could easily flip for a profit towards my wedding fund. Found it was way too loud and big for my spare room (although much better than the Princeton was in the same setting) so decided to sell it. Only then to be contacted, at my own workplace (!!!) by a chap in Milton Keynes from whom it had been stolen! So obviously back that one went.

I have no amp at present, I'm still playing through my cheap Digitech modeller into my cheap crap studio monitors at home, but it sounds ok and does the job. I do now have a cab, a Fender Excelsior cab I picked up from the very kind Koneguitarist of this very forum, however I'm struggling to find an acceptable amp to plug into it at my budget level. Looking forward to finding something though so when we are allowed back out properly I'll be able to try and get playing again in public occasionally.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited September 2020
    Been a Very long time ....

s/h FAL 4 channel amp & homemade 1x12 cabs with cheapest speakers I could get
    <...considerable gap...>
    Peavey Backstage Plus (35w)
    Marshal 8080 Valvestate / Marshall 9000 preamp & headphones at home..
    <... long gap ...>
    Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 & Ext Cab / POD 2.0
    <...gap...>
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier | Rift PR35 combo & cab | Fender Pro Junior combo | Marshall 2061X | Dr Z Maz - as the mood takes me - default is the Mini Rec & THR5 at home
    Cabs - DrZ 2 2x10, Boogie 2 1x12, Marshall 2x12

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    munckee said:
    I’ve been fairly slow in the amp dept,  been playing over  25 years but had a near 10 year gap where I hardly played and bought nothing. 

First stint 1994 to 2004, (byrds era:)

Gorilla practice amp 
    another practice amp I can’t remember 
    Laney Linebacker 30

Second stint 2014 to present, (flying burrito bros era:)

Kustom 10 solid state
    Yamaha THR5 (still got)
    Champion 600 (still got, much modded)
    Gretsch G5222
    68 reissue princeton
    Blues Jr mk 2
    Boss Katana
    1979 silverface Champ
    Super Champ x 2 (still got)
    So the much modified champion 600 has been sold and I have bought back the 79 champ.  Super champ x 2 on its way I think and am considering its replacement, tweed delux clone, ac10, orange tiny terror combo maybe.

Might just end up recovering the super champ and replacing speaker, I do love tinkering (although not too much with amps as they are a little ouchy).
  • smfacersmfacer Frets: 32
    edited September 2020
    Seems my journey hasn't been quite as full as some in the 22 years I've been playing!

Sound City Practice Amp - from the 70s, think it's still in my parents house somewhere

Marshall MG100DFX - I was young and didn't know any better, I also used to run a line 6 pod through it

Crate VC5212 Vintage Club - My first tube amp and was probably a lot better than I realised at the time

Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 -  Loved the sound of this one but it blew fuses for fun even after going back to fender twice while in warranty, only recently sold this one on

Blackstar Artisan 30 - Bought new for a steal during a clearance sale at local music shop lasted a month before there was a pop followed by nasty crackling, another warranty job but never came back from Blackstar and ended up getting a refund, shame really as for the month I had it, it was the best sound I ever had! And at the time no others could be had for the same price.

Blackstar Artisan 15 - As good as the 30 watt version but without the headroom.

Vox AC15C1 - Current amp, very versatile and great for the 60s tribute band that I've been playing in for the last year and a bit! Originally bought to use as a 2 amp rig withe the artisan 15 but life dictated one of them had to go, so off went the Blackstar in favour of the more practical and versatile vox.

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 348
    Fenton Weill Cadet Reverb
    Vox AC30 1964
    Vox AC TB
    Fender Deluxe Reverb 1965
    Carlsbro 100w tranny
    Tanglewood Acoustic 30w tranny
    Hofner EV25
    Vox V125 Combo
    Pro-Amp Viper 1x12
    I still have the last three.  The carlsbro was by far the loudest, not great tone-wise but awesome power.  All time favourite was the Deluxe, such a fab amp, wonderful tones, had it for 37 years!
  • Torque something or other

Marshall jcm900

marshall avt 50

Cornell Romany plus (still have)

fender deluxe reverb

Toneking Falcon Grande

Yamaha Thr10 (still have)

Fender Deluxe Tonemaster blonde (still have)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • THR1LLHAU5THR1LLHAU5 Frets: 180
    edited September 2020
    Think I started my journey at age 16ish with the Crate...

Crate Flexwave solid state 2x12 combo

Bugera 6262 2x12 combo

Laney GH50L head

Bugera V5 combo - this was surprisingly a cracking little amp, picked it up for cheap and worth every penny

Mesa Single Rectifier head

Peavey Classic 50 combo

Vox AC30CC2x - Really wish I'd never sold this, absolutely belting amplifier. 

Juketone Royal Blood 10" 5f2a clone

Jet City 22H head

Ones I still currently have: 

Jet City 100LTD head

Orange Rocker 30 head

Line 6 HX Stomp - currently, this gets 95% of my playtime, cheers 'rona. 

Zilla 2x12 with Creamback 75s
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4168
    edited October 2020
    No idea, bound to be loads I forget but here goes. 
    Started out with Selmer TnB head and cab. Used it for guitar and bass. 
    Been mainly Fenders, a few Princeton’s, bout half a dozen Twins including a lovely 64 blackface, also blackface super reverb, blackface Bandmaster(Shit) Silver face Bandmaster (Ace), 
    2-3 Vibrolux, 63 Vibrover reissue, Custom Vibrolux. 3-4 Deluxe Reverb’s, oldest a 68. 
    2-3 AC30’s early copper top panels. 
    Plexi 100w Super PA head. Plexi Super Bass 100w head. Few JMP heads and Combos.
    roland JC50, Proamp Venom. 
    Peaveys quite a few all good apart from a Vipyr. 
    Marshall Studio 15, one in Red one in black off of Martin Barre via Mansons. 
    Holland 2x10 hand wired job. 
    Black star piece of crap. HT40.
    couple of Boogies a Mark 2 and a Maverick. 
    Marshall 25/50, sold to @firepaulmusic ;;;
    a Orange thing, hated it. 
    Burmann combo, ridiculously heavy. 
    Carlsbro Stingray.
    HH VS Musician.
    probably a few others I forgot over last 40 years. 
    Cyber Twin. 
    Fender Super 60.
    seymour Duncan 84/40
    White combo. North East made valve amp. 
    Fender 75.
    Bassman 50 and a 135.
    Yamaha THR5 forgot that one. 
    Galien Krueger bass amp 1x12 combo. 
    Trace Elliott Bass combo

• smfacersmfacer Frets: 32
    smfacer said:
    Seems my journey hasn't been quite as full as some in the 22 years I've been playing!

Sound City Practice Amp - from the 70s, think it's still in my parents house somewhere

Marshall MG100DFX - I was young and didn't know any better, I also used to run a line 6 pod through it

Crate VC5212 Vintage Club - My first tube amp and was probably a lot better than I realised at the time

Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 -  Loved the sound of this one but it blew fuses for fun even after going back to fender twice while in warranty, only recently sold this one on

Blackstar Artisan 30 - Bought new for a steal during a clearance sale at local music shop lasted a month before there was a pop followed by nasty crackling, another warranty job but never came back from Blackstar and ended up getting a refund, shame really as for the month I had it, it was the best sound I ever had! And at the time no others could be had for the same price.

Blackstar Artisan 15 - As good as the 30 watt version but without the headroom.

Vox AC15C1 - Current amp, very versatile and great for the 60s tribute band that I've been playing in for the last year and a bit! Originally bought to use as a 2 amp rig withe the artisan 15 but life dictated one of them had to go, so off went the Blackstar in favour of the more practical and versatile vox.

AC15 now gone in order to satisfy a Tweedy itch in the shape of the...

Morris Amps Tweed 20 a 5e3 inspired, Chinese made, hand wired combo which I have only very briefly played at volume for fear of knocking plaster of the walls! Much more my cup of blues infused tea and the sound I've tried to wring out of the vox via a variety of drive pedals.

Fender Greta can't believe I forgot this, bought by my wife for my birthday some years ago, my go to amp for bedroom level blues noodling when I can't be bothered faffing with pedals or firing up amplitube
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3061
    A little update

Watson 15 watt amp
    Marshall AVT50h
    Marshall JCM900
    ADA MP1 -> Peavey classic 50/50
    Laney VH100R
    ENGL Powerball
    Laney VC50 
    Randall T2 
    Marshall JVM410h
    Jet City combo
    Digitech GSP1101 -> Peavey Classic 120
    Laney VC50
    Peavey JSX
    Helix LT
    Mesa Mark IV

Then from tomorrow

Mesa Triple Rectifier

• Wow. Errr....

Laney Linebacker 30
    Epiphone 5-watter
    Vox AD100VTX
    Laney VH100R
    ADA MP-1 + Peavey 60/60 power amp
    Eleven Rack + Peavey 60/60
    Jet City JCA50H
    Marshall Haze 15
    Eleven Rack + Marshall 20/20
    Jet City JCA22H
    Framus Cobra
    Soldano Decatone
    Jet City JCA22H (not a typo)
    Victory Kraken
    Jet City JCA22h (really...)
    Line 6 Helix + Rocktron Velocity 120

Pretty sure I've forgotten a couple in there, but you get the idea.
    OK, it's update time.

Picking up from the last entry...

Line 6 Helix + Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170
    Back to the original Jet City JCA50H (it blew a transformer shortly afterwards, so...)
    Jet City JCA22H (I'm not even joking, and it got sold to the other guitarist in my band to stop him using the Blackstar ID60)
    Jet City JCA100HDM (a new entry!)
    Victory Kraken (6L6 version this time, so it doesn't count as a duplicate)

I currently only have the last two. The Kraken's now my main amp, because the 100HDM has been very badly modded and I don't really trust it for gigging.
    <space for hire>
  • greejngreejn Frets: 128
    Expensive.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I've obviously been very conservative with my amp GAS over the last 32 years. In order of purchase

1989 Peavey Envoy 35w - decent clean but only an okay'ish dirt channel. I say that from memory and the fact that I had only just started my guitar journey so everything through the dirt channel sounded iffy then. A pretty loud 35w though and kept  me going through my first band.

1992 Marshall Valvestate 8240 - I loved it, the whole range in fact and never understood the hate for them.

1993 Peavey Bandit - first of the Transtubes, seriously good.   

1995 Trace Elliott Tramp - Was okay and well built but it never actually reached me. 

1996 Trace Elliott Speed Twin C50 - Great amp, well spec'd and built but it was a really dark sounding amp, sadly we never bonded but I sold it to a friend and he absolutely loves it.

1999 Peavey Classic 30 - very fond of this little thing, never let me down and surely the Swiss army knife of amps. Sold it this time last week and I know I'm going to miss it.

2005 Laney LC30II - Another great workhorse, lots of good features on it and some dumb design ideas, a parallel fx loop that only gets 50% wet max, who the hell came up with that? (Laney actually!) It always did me proud, so I modded the fx loop for parallel /series switching, added a new WGS Retro speaker and refurbished it and the old girl now sounds better than it's ever done, with an an extension speaker it's simply glorious but I need house room so it's currently sitting in the Classifieds.

2016 Fender HRDIII - Obtained from @Photek on these very boards and is without doubt the best amp deal I have made to date. Absolutely superb sound and everything I could ask from a valve amp. I don't see this going anywhere, for anything.  

And that, my friends is my amp soul bared!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1465
    @dilbert glad it has gone to a great home and is still being used as it should :)

My list is probably up to 100 now, I have settled down with an MJW and a couple of Marshall’s (for now ;) )
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Back in 2004 I started off on a Vox Pathfinder 15. Quickly moved to a Vox Valvetronix 15. I loved both of those amps for a long time. Because I was a n00b and had no gigging or recording experience.

I got a Carlsbro PA valve amp from a guy called Jon on the old musicradar forums. I drove over there with @Guitar_Slinger as I recall. That was my first proper valve amp, and I smashed the arse off it for ages, using a RAT pedal and a Big Muff.

In 2007 I swapped an iMac I owned for a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb. Now I don't know if I was just crap at dialling in amps, or if it was a crap amp. But it didn't stick around long.

When I started my first "proper" band in 2008, I got a Laney VH100R. An amazing amp. To this day, one of my all time favourites. I've owned 3 of them over the years.

After that I got myself a Fryette SigX because I was obsessed with the tones I was hearing from them. Everything was gravy until the famous "Drew put an 12AY7 tube in the 1st stage of the preamp and voided his warranty" incident. The tube didn't break the amp at all btw, contrary to what the distributor and manufacturer said at the time. After that incident I sold it, but I soon ended up with another. 

Other amps I've owned or own:
    Orange Rockerverb. I'm on my 2nd one (the MKIII) Love it.
    Diezel D-Moll. I'm on my 2nd one. Will never sell that again.
    Marshall JVMJS, amazing amp. Would have one again one day.
    Diezel VH4. This is a lifer.
    Laney Ironheart. Couldn't sell it fast enough. I don't know if mine had problems or what, but I just didn't like the tone of it at all.
    Fender 5153-50watter. Amazing sounds. I usually don't like 50watters, they sound thin to me. But this one has balls for days. Brilliant amp. Would have one of the 2nd gen ones with the concentric volume+gain knobs in a heartbeat.

Bye!

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Expensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
    edited October 2020
    Not a long list given the 20years I’ve been playing but here goes:

Started of with a small unknown solid state practice amp

Marshall Valvestate 8080 (Still got, still like and use as my practice amp)

Vox Valvetronix ad30vt 

Marshall TSL60 

Marshall Origin 20 

Orange Rocker 30 head (Still have)

Jet City 20HV (Still have)

Hand Built JTM45 copy (recently acquired)

Zilla 2x12 Fatboy (creambacks)

Zilla ported 1x12 (neo creamback)
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 610
    Vox Escort 30
    Fender Performer 1000
    Award Sessionette
    Roland KC350 (used with a Pod2 and Digitech RP500)
    Tech21 TM60
    Roland Cube 60
    Laney Cub Head
    Vox Night Train 50 Head
    Roland Cube 80XL
    Yamaha THR10
    Orange Rocker 30 Head
    Katana 100
    Mesa Express 5:25+ Head
    Quilter 101 Mini Head
    Seymour Duncan PS170 (used with HX Stomp and AX8)

Still have those in bold.