What has your amp journey been so far?

What's Hot
191011121315»

Comments

• Over 25 years, not many:

A cheap 10W ss amp when I started, no idea what it was.

Then I bought a Marshall 8040 which was my sole amp for about 20 years! Still have it in great condition but it does not     get  much use, not sure what to do with it.

Orange CR60

Blackstar Fly 3.

Update:
    Sold the Marshall 8040 to a local kid.
    Sold the Orange CR60 too, despite liking it a lot. 
    Bought a Boss Katana 100 2 years ago. Good for what it is, I used it mainly as a pedal platform. However the on-board dirt does not inspire me.   

Over the years I've spent far more on guitars and pedals that on amps. I now realise it's where I've been going wrong. Received an Orange Rocker 15 on Friday. My first valve amp. It's a revelation, sounds incredible. Sounds so much more organic, warm and responsive. Consider me converted to the way of the valves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Ok I’ll play:

Kustom 10 watt combo

Peavey Envoy Blue Stripe

Marshall G80R

Marshall TSL 100 Stack

Marshall MG100 Stack

Crate Blue Voodoo 120 

Mesa Single Rectifier Stack

Peavey Classic 30

Laney LH50 Stack

1987 Marshall Jcm 800 50 watt - 4 input

Mesa Mk2 Head

Blackstar HT Club 40

Mesa Stiletto Deuce 

Mesa Triple Rectifier

Marshall Dsl 50 - C12 & Choke Mod

Vox Ac30 C2 - Creambacks

Vox Ac30 Hw2

Fender Supersonic 22

Ashton Viper 30 valve combo - Still one this for home use

Mesa Express 5:50

Orange Rockerverb Mkii 50 - Still own this at the moment but a need for a Budda SuperDrive is strong

• I'm in awe of some of the lists here! Over 33 years:

- Selmer Compact 30 SV
    - Fender Deluxe 85
    - Marshall DSL401
    - Roland Microcube
    - Marshall DSL50 (+ 1960AV / Orange PPC212)
    - Blackstar HT1R
    - Blackstar TVP60 (for less than 24 hours)
    - Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III

The HRD is the only one that remains......for now......
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2021
    Here we go.

Early gigs with my first band at 17/18 which was post punk ish.

Custom Sound Cub 60 clean with one pedal

Then age 20-24 with my 80’s Duran/INXS type pop rock band. 

Marshall Jubilee 2553 2 x 12 combo with pedals and eventually a Digitech RP-1.

Then 25-27

Marshall JMP-1/8008 power amp into a pair of Laney 2x12’s with an Art Multiverb Alpha 2.0 & midi controller. 

Then aged 30 getting back into it.

Marshall Artiste 50watt 2 x 12. With a few pedals

Then from 31-41 playing in Heroes Of Switzerland 

Marshall TSL100 with 4x 12
    Marshall TSL 60    with 4 x 12
    Both using 4CM with various drives and a pair of delays on the FX loop. The 100 was a better amp, but had a crap FX loop, whereas the 60 had a really good FX loop, 

From 2011 onwards in various bands. A tasty pedalboard into.

Vox AC15C2 (borrowed)

Vox AC30C2

From 2015 to now. 

Pedals into clean amps or a TC Nova System. 

Blackstar Artisan 30 plus a Fender Ultra Chorus PR204 if I want to go Stereo. 
  • MojoBroMojoBro Frets: 12
    I'm not much of a gear head, and I have to admit amps are one area where I feel I'm still travelling the road to find the thing I'm really looking for. Over the 30 odd years I've been playing I've had;

• Tiny cheap and nasty practice amp thing that came with my 'Axe' guitar starter pack - Bought through mail order, I remember this ad like it was yesterday! Thanks Mum & Dad, I loved this more than you will ever know! Don't know what happened to it though.
    • Nasty 40w transistor thing I can't even remember the brand of, pretty sure it was Japanese and started with an 'H'? - Thanks again Mum & Dad. Donated it to a school music department.
    • Marshall Valvestate VS65R - First proper amp bought with a retention bonus from work, loved it. Traded it in when domesticity set in and I accepted I was never going to make it as a rock star.
    • Kustom Dart 10fx - Something small to pull out when needing to scratch the occasional itch. Not terrible, but definitely not inspiring either! Still have it, it's now my son's practice amp.

-----------------long break--------------------

• Fender Mustang gt40 - Caught the guitar bug again, looking for something versatile that wouldn't dominate the place too much as it would only be for home use. Sound wise it was a bit thin and I never really got on with it, too fiddly. Didn't like relying on an app to do proper tweaks. Sold it.
    • Boss Katana 100 212 - OK, maybe I will start playing out a little bit after all! Liked the sound and very versatile with the adjustable power settings and loads of built in effects. Similar issues as the Mustang though, I don't like spending more time fiddling settings on a computer than actually playing! Sold it.
    • Roland Blues Cube Artist 85w - My current amp, decent tone for my type of playing and love being able to adjust the power setting so I can use at home, in the studio and for jams and occasional full band gigs.
    I would really love to get hold of a valve amp but I feel like there isn't one that would fill all my requirements, small ones probably don't have the headroom for me to keep up with a band and anything substantial is just too loud for home use. I can't really justify the expense or afford to own multiples, so the Blues Cube is a good compromise for now.

That said, once Covid is finally out the way I'm looking to find a regular band and play out much more often so that would probably allow me to justify having a dedicated live rig. My next target will perhaps be a Fender Deluxe/ Deville or similar, watch this space!
  • De_BatzDe_Batz Frets: 117
    Let's try to get the list sorted, then...

Park G10
    Peavey Studio Pro
    Peavey Triumph 120
    Fender Prosonic
    Laney LC15 (in silver!)
    Traded several for a Mesa Heartbreaker (which I still have, now in head format)
    Marshall JMP50 MKII (non-master)
    Vox AC50
    Orange OR120
    Cornford Harlequin
    Cornell Romany
    Blackstar HT5H
    Wem Dominator (a black one)
    Laney L20H
    Fender Mustang I
    Wienbrock ME-3 Pro
    Bentley D'Luxe
    Vox AC50 (yes, again)
    Orange OR120 (yes, a second time)
    Cornford MK50ii

Less than I thought...

Currently own the Fender Mustang, the HB, the Cornford, the Bentley and the 2nd AC50. And with no gigs in the foreseeable future, it's the bloody Mustang that gets all the hours.