Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blade Runner 2049 - SPOILERS FROM PAGE 3 - PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12138
    hootsmon said:

can I borrow your thread for a while?  ta  :)

Did anybuddy get tae see Mother!  ?

I saw mother!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    MrSwanson said:
    I enjoyed it was decent enough, watched the original last night and felt it had much more atmosphere about it. 

Would've had so much more impact had Ford not been in all trailers etc and been kept a secret. Same thing ruined new Kingsman too, so annoying!
    I agree with the idea about Ford not being in the trailers
     Keeping it a secret that Deckard was in the film? Nigh on impossible 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The world they created was really striking. Visually amazing and the sounds to go... 
    We can both agree on these two!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16143
    hootsmon said:

I saw mother!

and?
    tae be or not tae be
  • I thought Mother was terrible. I didn't get it at all until I read "what it meant" because I'm not religious (it didn't click). I mean, it was decent enough but a little too "up itself" lol
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2454
    Floof said:
    Sounds like some folk need to stay at home drinking warm supermarket lager and watching Fast n' Furious movies on a loop...
    While everyone else follows the proverbial heard of ‘electric sheep’...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    Saw it on Saturday night.

Went to the local Showcase "de luxe" so lots of leg room and a reclining chair to ensure that my arse didn't go to sleep after 2.5 hours.

It does look gorgeous.
    It is too loud.
    It's got a plot.
    It does feel like the original. 
    Harrison Ford does now seem to play the same grumpy old git in every movie he is in. 
    I enjoyed it a lot.

However, it didn't have the same "something" the original had. It's close, and it wasn't a let down at all, but I didn't come out the cinema thinking it was the best movie of all time. 

If you liked the original, you will like this one. If you felt the original was overrated, you'll think this one is too.

Dis I say it looks absolutely gorgeous on the big screen?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Apparently it's bombed at the box-office .. one guy went to the ciema on the opening day to find 15 people watching it.

Not seen it yet but looking forward to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/10/09/blade-runner-2049-has-flopped-box-office-six-reasons/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 932
    Fretwired said:
    Apparently it's bombed at the box-office .. one guy went to the ciema on the opening day to find 15 people watching it.

Not seen it yet but looking forward to it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/10/09/blade-runner-2049-has-flopped-box-office-six-reasons/

Wow, what a horrendous writer/reviewer Alice Vincent is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17153
    I really want to go and see it, but currently have an ear infection and can't hear anything on the right. :(
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    beed84 said:
    Floof said:
    Sounds like some folk need to stay at home drinking warm supermarket lager and watching Fast n' Furious movies on a loop...
    While everyone else follows the proverbial heard of ‘electric sheep’...
    I saw it at 8pm on Thursday and knew what I thiwas got by 11pm  - which sheep am I following? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28075
    The thing is, this kind of movie is never going to do big numbers like the Marvels and Inceptions and whatever. It's great, but it's SLOW. No kids are going to see it, which is a huge amount of the market wiped out. A lot of wives & girlfriends may not either, tho I guess Gosling's presence will help there.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Not to mention the marketing machine are doing their best to keep the plot a secret, if someone ask what is this movie about, are do you sell it to them without spoiling it.
    Not to mention the marketing machine are doing their best to keep the plot a secret, if someone ask what is this movie about, are do you sell it to them without spoiling it.
    Yeah, there is that. Ive been talking to people at work: "well there's the main guy but I can't tell you about him, and he finds something out early on that I can't tell you, and that eventually leads him to meet someone else who I won't mention, which is related to ANOTHER person I can't mention..."
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6215
    Just returned home from screening. It's the first movie I've walked out of in long long time. I made up to HF and RG hitting each other to a backdrop of glitchy classic clips and decided I'd had enough of this rubbish. Some of it is very nice to look at but man, it's soo slow. I presume I walked before some big reveal but I didn't care about any of the characters enough to want to see it through.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    hootsmon said:
    hootsmon said:

I saw mother!

and?
    I love and hate it.

I love it for its performance, for the way it was able to hold my attention for 2 hours and made me feel something.  I think the worst films are not the bad ones, like Transformers movies, they are bad but at least they are enjoyable; bad films are the ones that are so pedestrian you watching it without feeling anything towards for any character, either love or hate, you forget the minute you step out of the cinema.  Those films are the one that I think waste my time.

mother! is not one of those, I did not enjoy watching it, there are more than a few occasions where it made me feel uncomfortable but credit to the film that it was able to make me feel this way.  Like any good horror movie, a good horror movie is to make me afraid (not jump, jump scares and cheap and easy), but to make me feel uncomfortable deserves credit and mother! did that.  It was weird how I was feeling everything JL's character was going through from the intrusion to her space, to the destruction of the house to the baby.  The success of the movie is its achievement to emote those feelings in me.

However…….I did not enjoy it and I really don't think i will watch it again.  It is however not a movie I will forget.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4796

Really want to see it.  Going to watch the first one in the next week or so, I've not seen it for about 20 years.  Then will go and watch 2049. 

This is quite an interesting spoiler free pre review discussion with Kermode. 

Which version do folks recommend watching of the first one?

"The Final Cut" is my go-to. I haven't seen any other version in a long time, but this is meant to be the "best", if such a thing can be determined.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-Final-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B000VS20M2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507108568&sr=8-4&keywords=blade+runner+final+cut

Okay, watched The Final Cut.  not seed Blade runner since as I was a kid, but I recognised all the scenes so I must have watched it more than I thought at the time.  Anyway, definitely a classic, really enjoyed it.  Ready for 2049 now.

Re the box office takings of 2049, it's a shame.  It's a big budget film that from the reviews has 'the confidence to take it's time' (as Kermode said) and explores complex themes and requires the viewer to make some of their own conclusions, not like the standard spoon feeding Hollywood film.  It has layers and is probably aims to be a piece of work, over a piece of entertainment. 

Other Movies like this do exist, but seldom with the staggering budget of 2049.  Moon had a budget of $5 million (although this was 2009), Ex Machina $15 million.  District 9 $30 million.  Blade Runner 2049  $150 - $185 million (although I have read elsewhere up to $300 million)

So my question, could this be the last big budget sci-fi movie of it's kind?

Will the big sci-fi budgets now be reserved for the usual space catastrophe (Gravity, Life, Alien, Armageddon) or Super Hero films?

I've not seen 2049 yet but I never thought Ex Machina or Moon looked low budget, but perhaps the scale of the stories in regards to locations and casts didn't need that type of budget that 2049 has.  So, is Blade Runner 2049 a one off never to be repeated?

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6334
     So, is Blade Runner 2049 a one off never to be repeated?
    Well, IMHO, it really needs Scott to rush out a BR2051 from the stuff left on the cutting room floor - just to explain the unfinished nonsense in BR2049 (IMHO!)
    goldtop said:
    Well, IMHO, it really needs Scott to rush out a BR2051 from the stuff left on the cutting room floor - just to explain the unfinished nonsense in BR2049 (IMHO!)
    I think that what we need, more than anything, is for Ridley Scott to never make a prequel or sequel to any of his classic movies ever again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 932
    goldtop said:
    I think that what we need, more than anything, is for Ridley Scott to never make a prequel or sequel to any of his classic movies ever again.

He's already said he plans to make 37,564,016 new Alien movies. The dick. All I want is Hovis 2.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom