Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

My son has spent £700 on Xbox Sale!

What's Hot

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    cruxiform said:
    I feel your pain Ross, my lad did me for £300 on Fifa 17 last year. This year he's earning money by doing chores for me which he can then spend on his own  FIFA points.  

What's wrong with kids these days? Who wants to spend money on "virtual players" on Fifa. When I was a youth it was bikes, guitars, cigarettes, hash, and booze. In reverse order. I really despair for the youth of today.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
    edited October 2017
    In app purchase really ought to bring with it an over 18 sales condition for the game. A £700 bill on igc is ridiculous. Shouldn't be possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • In app purchase really ought to bring with it an over 18 sales condition for the game. A £700 bill on igc is ridiculous. Shouldn't be possible.
    They do; the kid’s either nabbed the credit card off dad and made the purchase that way, or dad didn’t know the card details could be saved on the account and not required for each purchase. I don’t have an XBox so can’t say how their store is setup, but that’s how the PS4 & Switch shops work, iOS app store too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1352
    In app purchase really ought to bring with it an over 18 sales condition for the game. A £700 bill on igc is ridiculous. Shouldn't be possible.
    I agree.  There can't be many people that would actually spend that amount of money in-game so there should be a cap.  It's a blatant cash grab from EA, which is pretty standard of them IMO.

My Xbox is setup with me as the main user and my kids have child accounts linked to mine, so everything has to be approved by me.  The permissions are fairly granular, but they can become a pain in the arse with some games throwing errors, so I've had to relax them a bit.  It's all a bit confusing really so I'm not entirely confident that it's foolproof.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27853
    Bod said:
    I agree.  There can't be many people that would actually spend that amount of money in-game so there should be a cap.  It's a blatant cash grab from EA, which is pretty standard of them IMO.

My Xbox is setup with me as the main user and my kids have child accounts linked to mine, so everything has to be approved by me.  The permissions are fairly granular, but they can become a pain in the arse with some games throwing errors, so I've had to relax them a bit.  It's all a bit confusing really so I'm not entirely confident that it's foolproof.
    There are people who have paid tens of thousands of dollars on in-game/app purchases for a single game. It's a major revenue stream for the industry. Just google "Loot boxes" for the latest scheme to part stupid people from their cash.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16432
    If it was purchased on a credit card wouldn't you have extra protection against this sort of thing?
    But you haven't been subject to credit card fraud, you've just made a poor choice of purchase as far as the card company are concerned. 
    I don't know where distance selling regulations fit into this, can you not return your virtual footballers? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's pretty amazing how little protection there is with respect to computer games in general. Ever tried to refund a PC game? Absolute nightmare for the most part. I can't imagine trying to get a refund on virtual FIFA players. Good luck, hope you get some of the cash back. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    Jesus christ. I didn't even know this sort of stuff existed. Honestly, this is another example of how the world has gone utterly mad.  Hope you get it sorted soon fella.
  • This is SOP for EA. They release half a game at full price and then make you buy downloadable content to get the rest. If you buy only the standard game and it's online / player v player you're at a massive disadvantage but bombarded with opportunities to pay to get ahead. It's a despicable practice and a very good way of relieving fools of their (or someone else's) money. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    It happens a lot...my nephew racked up a mobile phone bill just with App add ons cause his mom got him a phone in her name and stored the card details ..weve all seen that tick box " remember me" !. 

Is it the kids fault?...Im not sure, ...did he understand the implications, or was he just doing what all his mates do.

Still @rossyamaha ...you got the cash from that Marshall eh ;-)     

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    gusman2x said:

What's wrong with kids these days? Who wants to spend money on "virtual players" on Fifa. When I was a youth it was bikes, guitars, cigarettes, hash, and booze. In reverse order. I really despair for the youth of today.

Subbuteo
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8874
    Ro_S said:

Subbuteo
    Crappest game in the history of bobbins. Flicking wobbly stupid players to ping a ropey little ball about... I’d blotted it from my memory for 35 years till I read your post :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    spark240 said:
    It happens a lot...my nephew racked up a mobile phone bill just with App add ons cause his mom got him a phone in her name and stored the card details ..weve all seen that tick box " remember me" !. 

Is it the kids fault?...Im not sure, ...did he understand the implications, or was he just doing what all his mates do.

Still @rossyamaha ...you got the cash from that Marshall eh ;-)     
    Never say yes to any site that offers to remember your credit card.  Apart from this kind of thing, accidental spending etc, you are relying on their security.  Sites that think they were secure have had files of customer credit card details stolen, it's not worth the risk just to avoid typing in the long number.  
  • You don't even have to type them now, you can just hold it in front of your phone camera each time

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 902
    Despite their bad press, I've always found Microsoft very good to deal with if you talk to them, so I would really try to escalate it as far and politely as you can. Good luck :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Stressing hardship that this charge will cause, politely, could also assist in the escalation process.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12525
    Just so we are clear.. as I know how I'd feel if one of my kids did this to me...

1.  Child slavery is a thing.
    2. There is money to be had.
    3.  None of us will say A WORD to the authorities.

Just saying...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14820
    edited October 2017
    The lad will soon learn about the value of money if you set the bugger to work. 

http://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/60ed8686-ac8b-4ec1-ad81-9c3b07608c1a
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    JerkMoans said:
    Ro_S said:

Subbuteo
    Crappest game in the history of bobbins. Flicking wobbly stupid players to ping a ropey little ball about... I’d blotted it from my memory for 35 years till I read your post :)
    There needs to be a Nonsense button for posts like this!! Subbuteo is and shall always be the game of champions!
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    JerkMoans said:
    Ro_S said:

Subbuteo
    @BRISTOL86 (above) is bang on.   Subbuteo is best game ever.    I played at Wembley once.     Don't go negative about Subbuteo just cos you have spastic fingers.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom