Custom Chibson Experience (Internals vid added)

What's Hot

Comments

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    Hi 
    I think this thread has become popular simply because a lot of us dont't want to roll the dice and end up with a heap of unusable rubbish.

From what I have seen so far their order books will be filling up with board members once this thing lands.

Its a shame about the little niggles, it would of been nice if they could of hit a home run on this one but nothing to onerous.

I think the interest is also because people see the big name brands gouging a heavy premium for what is just a hand tuned production line guitar.

I am thinking of getting a standard 335 type as a modding machine from them seeing how well this ones going. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Who'd have thought that Chibsons would be so popular on  theFB 
    I became interested when I found out you could spec anything you like and can have a custom logo/headstock applied.  As @guitargeek62 said earlier it's cheap enough that even if it's crap you can hang it on the wall just to look at.  Total bonus if you can actually get a half decent instrument out of it.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @guitargeek62 how longs your order been placed Si. Paid my deposit through paypal today. The clock for mine is now ticking.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4250
    5 weeks to the day, but I lost a week of that after sending payment while we went over a couple of details (I'd forgot to ask about fretwire). Not too shabby at all imo, certainly faster than I'd expect from anywhere else!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    It says 'G*bson' on the headstock, right? 
    Yep.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Keen to see the finished product. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    GuitarMonkey;191908" said:
    Who'd have thought that Chibsons would be so popular on  theFB 
    I here you. I'm suprised to say the least for obvious reasons !

Fake guitars and all that ......

Good luck to anyone who wants and pays money etc.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Hi 
    I think this thread has become popular simply because a lot of us dont't want to roll the dice and end up with a heap of unusable rubbish.

I think there are a few on here, playing the waiting game. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    edited March 2014
    I'm surprised that people are surprised by the popularity of these guitars! :P  Like others have said, for everyone here "fake" doesn't even come into the equation, it's just an Epiphone priced and (hopefully) Epi quality guitar which you can customise far more than from almost anywhere else. From that description what's not to love?

If you do the whole custom logo thing then how is it any different than any of the hundreds of boutique Fender copy-cats, or even the eBay bitsa's that come with a Fender logo included? I think there's a bit of snobbishness coming into play here ...
    No snobs here dude.
    Lololololol fake doesn't come into the equation lololololol
    edited March 2014
    A_T_W said:
    ...it's just an Epiphone priced and (hopefully) Epi quality guitar which you can customise far more than from almost anywhere else. From that description what's not to love?

If you do the whole custom logo thing then how is it any different than any of the hundreds of boutique Fender copy-cats, or even the eBay bitsa's that come with a Fender logo included?
    That's the way I see these too, they simply offer a cheap alternative to what's already on the market. As I've said before, if I could have bought an Epiphone DG-335 or Trini Lopez reissue, then I would have done so. If Tokai or Edwards etc offered one, then I'd go for one of those. Unfortunately, the only options for this particular type of guitar are very limited, very expensive, and still miss out on important details that I'd prefer when paying that kind of money. Hence this build offers a perfectly decent alternate option, assuming it plays fine once it arrives.

I don't see the need to buy a model from them that I can already buy on the market at a similar price point. Why would I buy a '58 styled burst from them when there are a million options from Epiphone already? Not to mention the Tokais & Edwards' et al. that come as close to crossing the counterfeit line as legally possible.

Chances are pretty high that this won't be the only Chibson I end up buying, but any further ones will be copies of models that are just as uncommon as a Trini. :)

I doubt I'll order one with a G*bson logo again either, it didn't even occur to me to ask them to change it this time around and I quite like the mockup of my own surname using the G font - to the point that I might end up modifying this one to match.

The issue of fakes is clearly a problem though, and one that I've tried to circumvent by specifying particular deviations from the originals or reissues to reduce confusion. Mine will also be permanently labelled as a Chibson internally too.
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    blueskunk said:
    No snobs here dude.
    Fair enough, that was added as an after thought, not something I strongly believe. I really don't see how the fake aspect matters for people on here though, again what makes it so different from all the other copy-cat companies out there?
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If I could feel certain that I wouldn't be buying a POC - I would take one. With a different name on the head, and some fairly obvious indication of it's origins - just to be sure..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    A_T_W said:
    I'm surprised that people are surprised by the popularity of these guitars! :P .
    Only surprised given the general tone of  theFB  every time one appears on eBay or in the classifieds here.

I wouldn't want one as every Chinese fake I have seen has been pretty poor (especially electrics and fret work) and definitely sub-Epiphone standard, even the Epi-phoneys.

I'm eagerly awaiting the outcome of this venture.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    The cheap custom shop aspect is why I decided to have a go. I only buy guitars in this general price range anyway, so if I can get the same quality but spec it how I like then surely its a no brainer. If its any good ill definitely be asking for some long discontinued models that the vintage market has priced me out of (rd artist, ovation gp ultra) although with different logos and specs. I completely understand that there are a lot of folks with top qualiity instruments that will find this laughable.

Kelvin
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    edited March 2014
    Only surprised given the general tone of  theFB  every time one appears on eBay or in the classifieds here.
    That's slightly different though - they're normally described as being the real thing (usually with some sob story) and you see the bids going in and the price getting higher and you wonder if the bidders know they're bidding on a counterfeit. Meanwhile the seller is profiting at their naivety.

The people selling these, and the people buying them, know exactly what they are.

• Does anyone have the link to the site?

*Runs away laughing...*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The link I found via the OP and the one posted earlier both flagged and blocked by my AV as containing malware. Make of that what you will.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...