Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone in fingers, not in gear...

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    This is a ridiculous argument. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    dindude said:
    I think what we’ve learnt (or already know)is that a great guitarist can make anything sound musical, a crap player can make a great guitar sound, er, crap. There’s a thread live that demonstrates the opposite to this one rather well!

Which thread....be interesting to see! I agree though....can you imagine how many of us would own say a Helix if all the demo's were by some 12yr old guitar noob ? :lol:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can we please move any tonewood related discussions to Behind Closed Doors? :s
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    That bloke with the hat playing in the kitchen isn't bad - he could maybe have a career...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Style? Check 
    Skill? Absolutely 
    Timing/sense of rhythm? Yip
    Tone? Er no :)

Id imagine a lot of people with nice gear would answer that list the other way around :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Does the handcream you use have an effect on tone?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited December 2017
    Does the handcream you use have an effect on tone?

No, but the clothes you wear damp the guitars body vibrations somewhat. And the shoes you wear even more so as they connect or disconnect you to the ground (ya know the flat earth) we stand on. Affects the bass allegedly. Ever wonder how Jazzers get that tone? Notice they have a penchant for woolly jumpers, corduroys (with leather patches in the knees) and hush puppy shoes - instant Jazz tone!! That's a big part of how they do it. Clothes matter!! Part of the tone chain that most people overlook. People in 'the know' say its the no.1 secret.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    dazzajl said:
    WezV said:
    dazzajl said:
    The majority of people can hear playing, a small minority can hear guitar tone. 
    That’s a bit ridiculous.  

Play the same track to people, recorded by the same guitarist with 2 different guitars.  Ask if they can a) hear a difference and b) have a preference.  The answer will be yes and yes.

We’re going to have to disagree here. I’m absolutely certain that the majority of folk wouldn’t be able to hear the difference if you swapped the make or model of a guitar on nearly any track. It’s just not what most people’s ears are trained to listen for. 

As players or collectors we tell ourselves there’s a need for single coils, buckers, some
    P90s, or that a tele is significantly different to a strat but the truth is that your average gig goer or listener on the radio has no idea at all. 

Nor should they, because on the point of the music always being more important than fancy gear, I think you’re totally right. 
    I find myself conflicted here. I've seen videos A/B'ing different things, and I've got six guitars in a rack that each have a different voice, however I always thought Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' was recorded on a triple humbucker'd LP & a Jackson with Dimarzios both into a big fuck off Marshall stack. It transpires both Steve and Phil used a 70's MIJ strat into a Rockman! You can power one of those on AA batteries ffs.
  • I like this one- the tone isn't brilliant, but his talent IS. 

That is a big fat pile of guff. This isn't guitar playing its dick swinging. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    ICBM said:
    I've always said something like that - if tone is all in the fingers, give any great player of your choice a Strat and a JC-120 and see if they can make it sound like a PRS into a Dual Rectifier.

It *is* true that a great player will be able to sound very much like themselves with gear that you wouldn't usually expect them to use, but that's not quite the same thing.
    You sir are a man after my own heart. I've been giving this analogy on forums for over 20 years (Although I use a Strat through the clean channel of a Fender Blackface vs a Gibson Les Paul through the high gain channel of a Marshall!)    I am so sick & tired of this hackneyed expression 'tone is in the fingers', it's not. SKILL is in the fingers, TOUCH is in the fingers....but tone is from the gear you're playing. A good player is simply making the best use of that gear.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Of course now I realise that using the word "tone" would be hilariously divisive..!

Obviously noone can make a Strat into a Twin sound like a PRS into a Dual Rec using fingers alone. My point was much more to highlight that great phrasing and playing is (almost) nothing to do with the gear, and that's the thing that actually makes music make you feel something.

Tone is a stupid word anyway. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    I've always said something like that - if tone is all in the fingers, give any great player of your choice a Strat and a JC-120 and see if they can make it sound like a PRS into a Dual Rectifier.

It *is* true that a great player will be able to sound very much like themselves with gear that you wouldn't usually expect them to use, but that's not quite the same thing.
    You sir are a man after my own heart. I've been giving this analogy on forums for over 20 years (Although I use a Strat through the clean channel of a Fender Blackface vs a Gibson Les Paul through the high gain channel of a Marshall!)    I am so sick & tired of this hackneyed expression 'tone is in the fingers', it's not. SKILL is in the fingers, TOUCH is in the fingers....but tone is from the gear you're playing. A good player is simply making the best use of that gear.  
    The problem here is really that dumb-ass word tone.

I think most people see it as the end product. So gear choice + player's skill = tone.

The misleading part is gear though. So much of it is so similar to make no diffeence to that final tone.  Other bits will have dramatic change. But the industry relies on us pretending that the subtleties between similar gear matter, when really they do not.
  • TL:DR

Has anyone mentioned Hitler yet?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone isn’t a stupid word. People just can’t separate what it means from musical phrasing.

How you play a note is part of the tone - how hard you play affects the attack, decay, sustain etc. The dynamics are intertwined with the tone.

The order in which you play notes is the phrasing, not the tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3527
    I expect TGP is going bananas trying to find out what toy guitar that is and where they can buy it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tone isn’t a stupid word. People just can’t separate what it means from musical phrasing.

How you play a note is part of the tone - how hard you play affects the attack, decay, sustain etc. The dynamics are intertwined with the tone.

Yes!

No one can make a Strat into a blackface sound like a Les Paul into a Marshall but equally, if a great player steps off stage and someone else picks up their guitar still plugged in, even a fairly simple piece will have a different tone when played by each person, even if the notes played are the same because things like how the strings are hit, how much subtle bending, vibrato etc. 
  • Tone isn’t a stupid word. People just can’t separate what it means from musical phrasing.

See, I think people can't seperate it from gear... chasing tone through gear purchase is such a common idea. 

You can't recreate a guitarists sound through gear purchase alone. It's interwoven with a guitar players skill, touch, feel etc.

But people seem to think you can buy tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Tone isn’t a stupid word. People just can’t separate what it means from musical phrasing.

See, I think people can't seperate it from gear... chasing tone through gear purchase is such a common idea. 

You can't recreate a guitarists sound through gear purchase alone. It's interwoven with a guitar players skill, touch, feel etc.

In any world I've been interested in, there's always that thing where people try to buy things rather than practice/do.

Basically, it's easy to buy something. I'd imagine a lifetime of marketers' influence doesn't help.

I feel I've started to become too obsessed with trying to have every gear base covered rather than concentrating on using what I've already got.

Maybe it's a form of procrastination in a sense. It's also that genuine worthwhile practicing, while enjoyable, is hard work so it can be tempting to "window shop" for gear rather than put in an extra hour's practice even though the latter would be more beneficial than even buying a new guitar.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited December 2017

I think you can, to an extent.  It's just a very complicated topic without a definable x amount = y result kind of formula that applies, it's too subjective and ultimately buying more stuff might not even be the answer.

I kind of look at things from a weakest link perspective.

At a macro level - does a bigger amp sound different to a smaller amp?  Yes.  So you can buy tone in that way.  No amount of skill will make a 5 watt 1x10 combo sound like a 100 watt halfstack.  This has already been covered earlier in the discussion.

At a micro level - do 3 identically/close to identical spec'd guitars sound different to each other.  Possibly.  But the differences are going to be so small that the difference could easily be outweighed by something else in the chain - the player, definitely.  The setup/pickup heights on the instruments - definitely.  Changing for a very similar guitar isn't likely to have much impact, as it probably wasn't the weakest link in the chain.

The other thing I like to consider is that the only time my guitar tone really matters is in ensemble.  So in that scenario, there are additional limitations, and additional weak links.  Guitarists who spend a fortune chasing tone when their bass player has a poor setup are just not going to get a great result in context. 

And if you've got a keys player with a functioning left hand everyone is doomed.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 915
    It's all about misuse of 'tone'. The correct dictionary  meaning is in terms of the quality of a particular  sound.

So can a strat into a blackface sound like a les Paul into a Marshall - of course not. But that's sound, not tone.

Would two different players get a different tone from the same sound. Absolutely, and that's down to touch etc. That's tone.

I guess by extension tone can be applied to pieces of gear looking to give the same sound. Eg in comparing miab pedals.

It's one of the many things on here that i think we all ultimately think the same thing about, but love to argue over terminology.........