Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone in fingers, not in gear...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    I like this one- the tone isn't brilliant, but his talent IS. 

That is a big fat pile of guff. This isn't guitar playing its dick swinging. 
    I’m guessing Satriani’s guitar playing career is probably more successful than yours though?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:

I’m guessing Satriani’s guitar playing career is probably more successful than yours though?
    Lol - depends how you define successful my man - but I'd guess by almost any measure the conclusion would probably be yes.

Has little to do with the validity of my opinion though does it? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    edited December 2017
    Aye, your right, i’m not much of a fan either to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I sound shit playing my prs (s) or my squiers, thus proving tone definitely isn't in my fingers  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I always feel that everything starts with your left hand been comfortable with what you are playing - This is the start of the whole chain - The amp/speaker is the final part of the chain - So after the first thoughts appear in your head regarding what notes you want to play and how to phrase them, the key part is your left hand and can it carry out the required task  - Action, set-up, feel etc help to determine the finer detail of this, along with neck shape, fret size/height etc - This neck starts the whole 'tone process' IMO - So after this it is  a case of garbage in and garbage out - hence if you are struggling to play the guitar, as it isn't comfortable, everything that follows will sound crap, no matter what it is played through

I agree that after, everything has an impact - some parts greater than others

I actually disagree - assuming you mean the fretting hand by left hand.

I think it all starts with your picking hand.  Your fretting hand's job is to select the pitches, your picking hand's job is to sound them.

Assuming a person can fret a note cleanly there isn’t likely to be much difference in tone between any two peoples fretting hands. Picking hands -potentially a big difference with the way they pick/pluck/slap etc.
    I agree..
    the picking hand is the boss for tone, timing and more
    play every note as if it were your first
  • dbphoto said:

Lol - depends how you define successful my man - but I'd guess by almost any measure the conclusion would probably be yes.

Always makes me smile when I read stuff like this on here. One of the best guitarists on the planet is apparently "guff". Has that really told us anything except you're a bit bitter about better guitarists? If he knocked out a dodgy cover of Wonderwall would you rate him more highly?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sometimes I do think that flashy guitar playing is more of a party piece than music. I respect the talent like I would if someone juggles guitars but don't think it always sounds good.

Don't get that about the satriani clip though, that's a good tune that I often listen to purely for musical enjoyment
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462

Tone isn't in the fingers.  its in the ears.  I had an ear infection for 3 months of this year and everything sounded shit.

Now then.   Where can I go to discuss the topic "what makes a good guitar"?   Apparently the guitar section of a guitar forum isn't the right place   ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I get the point, and it's a good video to support it, but the thing that always makes me think is this...I want a tight palm muted sound, I don't think I could get that out of a Blues Jr and a Strat, however much I'd try. So sometimes, gear helps.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • dbphoto said:

Always makes me smile when I read stuff like this on here. One of the best guitarists on the planet is apparently "guff". Has that really told us anything except you're a bit bitter about better guitarists? If he knocked out a dodgy cover of Wonderwall would you rate him more highly?
    I think your assumption that a dodgy cover of wonderwall would improve my opinion of him says more about your biasts and bitterness. 

I think we can all agree that the term good guitarist is subjective? And the criteria we'd use to judge the best guitarist on the planet are highly variable. 

For me - this chaps guitar playing is unmoving, unmelodic, and needlessly flash. It bores me. 

I was merely expressing my opinion - and I just happen to be correct - don't let it ruffle you kid - you come off bitter. 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1116
    I’ m not weighing on tone - i’m nowhere near as talented as most of you. However, I have spent the last year building my way up to better and better gear - starting with cheaper stuff and moving up. And the better gear makes me work harder at my playing. Focus. Practice. Because the equipment- guitar and amplifier - is so much more articulate, I can hear my half-fluffs, dud notes, crap fretting so much more clearly. So I work harder to get a better result from my playing. Notes that ring clearer. A better touch - better timing, better attack. 

So the combination if more work AND better gear makes me sound better, and able to work towards the tone I want to achieve.