Distance Selling Regulations

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
Have any of you ever returned a guitar bought online within 2 weeks using the distance selling regulations? Was there any problems?

Also, do you think personally that it's morally questionable to use this as a way to try out a guitar? I.e. Order a guitar I think I'll like but with the intention of returning it for a refund if I don't?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 667
    tFB Trader
    It has to be incorporated into the return policy of any company dealing in the EU, so you use it by utilising their policy.

Personally I'd say it's morally wrong to buy a guitar if you think there's a good chance you'll be returning it, as the seller has to foot the bill for it. However, If you buy a guitar that you think there's a high likelihood that you'll be keeping but end up returning it as you just can't get along with it, I'd say that's fine. But I am biased in my position of course.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    Done it with Andertons, no problems. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    thegummy said:

Also, do you think personally that it's morally questionable to use this as a way to try out a guitar? I.e. Order a guitar I think I'll like but with the intention of returning it for a refund if I don't?
    I think as long as you're doing it with the hope that you'll like it then you're using the consumer protection exactly as intended.

If you order a load just to dick about with a for a week then it is morally questionable.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I bet there's a few here that did this with the Helix
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5324
    just done exactly that, ordered  a guitar i thought i would love but didnt so back it goes...i think without that option sales would suffer as i certainly would risk spending £1500-2000 without the option of returning without penalty.
  • A bit pedantic but DSR is no more as of 2014 its now the Consumer Contracts regulation

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    A bit pedantic but DSR is no more as of 2014 its now the Consumer Contracts regulation

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations
    The distance selling regulations is an EU regulation instructing member states to incorporate it's contents into their legislation. The UK's incorporation of it is the consumer stuff.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Alegree said:
    It has to be incorporated into the return policy of any company dealing in the EU, so you use it by utilising their policy.

Personally I'd say it's morally wrong to buy a guitar if you think there's a good chance you'll be returning it, as the seller has to foot the bill for it. However, If you buy a guitar that you think there's a high likelihood that you'll be keeping but end up returning it as you just can't get along with it, I'd say that's fine. But I am biased in my position of course.
    I would feel bad returning it because I know they'd lose out but I would be buying it with the intention and hope of keeping it, not just to try it out with a small chance of keeping it.

Maybe I should buy it from a shop I already have a bit of beef with then I wouldn't feel bad lol
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's exactly what they were setup to let you do. As otherwise you have no possibility to try gear you want to buy online.

Just don't be a dick and go through all the shops guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    People do it with clothes. It's similar.  I have heard of Amazon banning people who return too many items though.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2450
    edited December 2017
    mgaw said:
    just done exactly that, ordered  a guitar i thought i would love but didnt so back it goes...i think without that option sales would suffer as i certainly would risk spending £1500-2000 without the option of returning without penalty.
    It's exactly what they were setup to let you do. As otherwise you have no possibility to try gear you want to buy online.

Retailers are NOT legally obliged to accept returns just because you didn't like it. So be careful to check the sellers individual returns policy. I feel for retailers these days, its stacked against them heavily. I see Mark has a 4-day 'Trial' return policy. Andertons have a 14 day policy. Coda are 14 days and you have to pay for shipping. World Guitars require you to notify them within 7 days for a return and 'The company reserves the right to make a re-stocking charge in the case of goods incorrectly purchased' 
    To answer the OP's question 'Is it morally wrong to use this to try out a guitar?' I'd say it is. If I personally had a doubts then I would drive and try one out first. I've bought hundreds of guitars mail order from all over the globe, and hand on heart I have never returned one. Maybe that's because I spent over 30 years in a retail trade, a harsh one a that. When you grow up you have to wear long trousers they said. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Strat54 said:
    mgaw said:
    It's exactly what they were setup to let you do. As otherwise you have no possibility to try gear you want to buy online.

Retailers are NOT legally obliged to accept returns just because you didn't like it. So be careful to check the sellers individual returns policy. I feel for retailers these days, its stacked against them heavily. I see Mark has a 4-day 'Trial' return policy. Andertons have a 14 day policy. Coda are 14 days and you have to pay for shipping. World Guitars require you to notify them within 7 days for a return and 'The company reserves the right to make a re-stocking charge in the case of goods incorrectly purchased' 
    Are you sure about this? As far as I was aware, no online retailer is allowed to refuse a return within the first 14 days as long as the item is still in perfect condition.
  • There sellers on ebay who charge a restocking fee too, so read the small print.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • this ^^^
     from the gov.uk website

Online, mail and phone order sales

Online, mail and telephone order customers have the right to cancel their order for a limited time even if the goods aren’t faulty. Sales of this kind are known as ‘distance selling’.

You must offer a refund to customers if they’ve told you within 14 days of receiving their goods that they want to cancel. They have another 14 days to return the goods once they’ve told you.

You must refund the customer within 14 days of receiving the goods back. They don’t have to provide a reason.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yes I'm sure.

Which say ' You can only return non-faulty goods for an exchange or refund if the retailer has a returns policy. It's worth noting that shops aren't required by law to have a returns policy, but if they do have one they must stick to it'

They also state 

What if I have just changed my mind? Retailers are under no obligation to give a refund if the item is of good quality.

You can't buy software, dvds and perishable goods and return those either if you don't like them. 

tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Yes I'm sure.

Which say ' You can only return non-faulty goods for an exchange or refund if the retailer has a returns policy. It's worth noting that shops aren't required by law to have a returns policy, but if they do have one they must stick to it'

They also state 

What if I have just changed my mind? Retailers are under no obligation to give a refund if the item is of good quality.

You can't buy software, dvds and perishable goods and return those either if you don't like them. 

You're wrong. We absolutely do under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Have a read through it.
    There are some exemptions such as custom work and those you listed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Yes I'm sure.

They also state 

i think you are confusing it with if you buy something from a retail shop, mail order or online have different rules
    Here's @guitars4you MAIL ORDER returns policy:

Cancellations – If you are buying a guitar from Guitars4You as a mail order transaction, then you have a 4 day ‘trial period’ to check its suitability. If the guitar does not meet your requirements, then you can cancel the order and return it for a refund, but the following conditions apply:The term guitar as detailed below includes the appropriate case, gig bag, tags, manual, paperwork, spec sheet, registration/warranty card, accessories, documents or certificates, as applicable, including any strap, polishing cloth or cable etc1. The guitar must be returned to Guitars4You within 4 days, commencing from the date the parcel is signed for ‘as received’ – It is the responsibility of the customer to return the guitar, including any shipping and insurance costs to Guitars4You2. You must inform me before returning the guitar, either by phone or email – no exceptions3. The customer has a statutory duty to take care of the guitar whilst it is in their possession. Therefore the guitar and appropriate packaging must be returned in the same condition as I sent it to you– Any loss or damage to the guitar during the ‘trial period’, and an appropriate returns fee will be applicable, or indeed the right to return the guitar maybe invalidated – The 4 day ‘trial period’ excludes the customer from rehearsing or gigging with the guitar. The ‘trial period’ enables you to evaluate the guitar within your home only.4. The customer is responsible for the cost of shipping any returned guitar, along with any claim arising from damaged or missing guitar whilst in transit, therefore we suggest you include shipping insurance for any returns. Guitars4You will not be held responsible for any damages that might be incurred whilst in transit on the return journey. The condition of the guitar is totally the responsibility of the customer until it is received back atGuitars4You.5. Guitars4You will refund the cost of the guitar, but will exclude any expenses whatsoever relating to the cost of shipping and transit insurance6. The above policy only applies to guitars that are purchased mail order and subsequently sent to the customer. Customers who buy goods in the showroom can fully evaluate them prior to making the payment and as such do not have this return and refund option available to them.
    Strat54 said:
    Yes I'm sure.

They also state 

i think you are confusing it with if you buy something from a retail shop, mail order or online have different rules
    Oh well, so glad I sold up before 2015! Mark you need to change your policy! 
    Interesting that GAK say this - For Health and Safety reasons some products such as headphones, microphones, earphones, in-ear monitoring products that have been used or where the hygienic seal has been removed or broken cannot be returned unless faulty.

According to the act these are not exempt either!