Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Preferred Strings Folks

What's Hot

Comments

• Many thanks guys seems like the D'addario are very popular...i shall try a set when I change my strings next probably go for the 10's after playing Bass and Acoustic i like summat i can feel and been blind as a bat i find 9's hard to see lol....cheers for the replies and info much appreciated 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I buy D'addario XL or NYXL in singles now from string busters so I can make up my own sets.
    They cost the same as pre-determined sets when totalled up, maybe give or take a pound or so.

9.5, 12, 17, 28, 38, 50

I change strings once a month.
  • I use D'addario NYXL 11s on everything.

I like the feel and the NYXL seem to last a bit longer than standard D'addarios. 

For a Les Paul I would use the same strings but depending on what your playing style is 10s may be a safer choice. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    1st - Dean Markley Signatures
    2nd - Rotosound (if I can't get the above)

Depends on the Guitar as to whether I use 9s or 10s
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4179
    edited December 2017
    Alnico said:

I try to get up to a year out of mine. I'm a cheapskate.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used rotosound yellows (10-46) for year but tried don daddario xl110 a while ago and the dads were significantly easier to bend
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3125

A while back I bought a load of different types to try out, and the results were.............

...they are all the same (gauge excepted). The only one that was any different, to my ears / feel, were Roto yellow. So now I use them. The next best were Ibanez own brand, for about £3 a set at the time.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    blobb said:

The next best were Ibanez own brand, for about £3 a set at the time.

These ones are tad more pricey:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-IEGS6-Super-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings-9-42/141539287236?hash=item20f46620c4:g:WKMAAOSwDk5T80sF

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    The new elixir optiweb’s are brilliant.
    Same tension and feel as normal strings (that was the problem I had with the nanoweb version, difficult to bend), but last for ages without any care needed.
    Didn’t play my tele for 6 weeks, didn’t wipe down the strings the last time I used it and when I picked it up again it felt exactly the same as when I left it.
    edited December 2017
    Philtre said:
    blobb said:

The next best were Ibanez own brand, for about £3 a set at the time.

These ones are tad more pricey:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-IEGS6-Super-Light-Electric-Guitar-Strings-9-42/141539287236?hash=item20f46620c4:g:WKMAAOSwDk5T80sF

Ha! That's crazy - £10 a month finance available though, so you can pay more than a packet of strings each month to use one set of strings for a year. Sign me up.

Love the (only) comment "brilliant product for the price"..............................
  • JerkMoans said:
    Almost invariably 10-46 for me.  Tried 11s and they felt like steel hawsers.  Not fussy about brand: Ernie Ball seem ubiquitous; got a good deal on a job lot of Gibson Brite Wires on Amazon so for now they're the string du choix.

In fact they're still up for grabs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ZC9PV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

£17 for 5 sets seems pretty good to me!

In answer to the OP, I've always used either Ernie Balls or D'Addario's 10-46s. Always been happy with them so never been massively tempted to change.

That being said, that seems a crazy good price for 5 sets of strings! Is there a catch I'm missing? How come Brite Wires can be had so cheap? I would have thought that if anything they'd be a bit more pricey given that they're Gibson... :s
    Brite Wires have always been reasonably priced, especially in 5 packs. I have them on some guitars. They're fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    Brite Wires have always been reasonably priced, especially in 5 packs. I have them on some guitars. They're fine.
    Cool. May have to have a look when I next need some new strings! 
  • BobRob said:
    Many thanks guys seems like the D'addario are very popular...i shall try a set when I change my strings next probably go for the 10's after playing Bass and Acoustic i like summat i can feel and been blind as a bat i find 9's hard to see lol....cheers for the replies and info much appreciated 
    Ah - apologies if I was teaching you to suck eggs!  If you're used to bass and acoustic, 10s on a Les Paul scale are probably the lightest you'll want to go.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

@blobb Where are you getting Ibanez strings for £3?
    Strings Direct about 18 months or so ago - looks like they don't sell them anymore. £5 on GAK though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Philtre said:
    Alnico said:

Don't they sound completely dead for most of the year?

Is it coated strings you use?
    thegummy said:
    Philtre said:
    Alnico said:

Don't they sound completely dead for most of the year?

Is it coated strings you use?
    I have 8 electric guitars, so I try and be frugal. Sometimes I change after 6-7 months. Plus, I'm not gigging at the mo. If I was gigging, would probably be every 3 months.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    As a starting point I'd advise 10s too. Personally, due to hand injury and plain old age I use 9s but would prefer the feel of 10s if I could still bend them. 

I have corrosive sweat, which means I could get a couple of weeks out of conventional strings on my "at home" guitars, but less than a whole gig out of my gigging guitars.

Elixir Nanowebs have been a Godsend to me, I change them every four gigs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Elixirs and 9s for me as well.  My hands are not great, never particularly strong or supple, plus a wee touch of arthritis in my first finger now.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”