Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Preferred Strings Folks

What's Hot

Comments

• p90fool said:
    As a starting point I'd advise 10s too. Personally, due to hand injury and plain old age I use 9s but would prefer the feel of 10s if I could still bend them. 

I have corrosive sweat, which means I could get a couple of weeks out of conventional strings on my "at home" guitars, but less than a whole gig out of my gigging guitars.

Elixir Nanowebs have been a Godsend to me, I change them every four gigs. 

I used to hate changing the strings on my Basses i would leave them on for years....but loved the sound of new strings on my Acoustic...at the moment i have no need to change the strings on my Electric as i have a long way to go before I'll be good enough to start gigging 
    p90fool said:
    As a starting point I'd advise 10s too. Personally, due to hand injury and plain old age I use 9s but would prefer the feel of 10s if I could still bend them. 

I have corrosive sweat, which means I could get a couple of weeks out of conventional strings on my "at home" guitars, but less than a whole gig out of my gigging guitars.

Elixir Nanowebs have been a Godsend to me, I change them every four gigs. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3699
    I used to use 10's on Gibsons and 9's on Fenders but now I just keep it to 10's all round to save mucking about.

Makes? Whatever is on  offer.

Using Rotosound yellows at the moment, got a free strap too!  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    thegummy said:
    Philtre said:

I try to get up to a year out of mine. I'm a cheapskate.
    Don't they sound completely dead for most of the year?

Is it coated strings you use?
    I get 1-2 years out of mine at least, even when using the guitar quite a lot. They don't sound dead - they don't sound 'new', but I don't like that anyway - because I keep them clean. What usually kills them in the end is indentations in the windings where they press on the frets, which throws the intonation off.

I hate coated strings...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader

For most of my playing life its always been Ernie Ball 9s (super slinkys) ...

Over the last year I have now moved to what I think is the perfect mix..  I now use Ernie Ball Hybrid slinkies which are 10s on the bass strings and 9s on the high strings ( .009 - .046 )... You get the perfect balance of slightly fatter strings for chording and nice easy bending strings on the high end for lead work.

• BobRob said:
    Just a feeler what's your preferred strings and gauges for Electric Guitar.
    I'm newish to Electric and have just purchased a second hand Epiphone Prophecy plus Les Paul for  £200 with a Hard Case absolute bargain...strings fine at the moment but just wondering what strings folks are using and why....probably a stupid question as it's personal choice but just curious cheers Bob 
    D’addarrio 10-52 on all electrics. Whenever I sell a guitar I convert another guitarist to them. As long as the guitar is set up well to accomodate them they just feel right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't care about the brand, haven't really noticed much, if any differences when switching. Always use 9s as that's what I am used to. Never felt like experimenting with different gauges and tunings. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:
    Philtre said:

I get 1-2 years out of mine at least, even when using the guitar quite a lot. They don't sound dead - they don't sound 'new', but I don't like that anyway - because I keep them clean. What usually kills them in the end is indentations in the windings where they press on the frets, which throws the intonation off.

I hate coated strings...
    I wish I could do this, I wouldn't use coated strings either but they work brilliantly for me.

I find them brittle though, like you I have issues with disturbing them once they've been tuned up to pitch - if I slacken them enough to remove a Strat scratchplate for example the chances are I'll break one when tuning back up. 

I change them on gigging guitars as a precaution against breaking, not because they've gone dead, something I've never had to worry about with conventional strings. 

You can't have everything I guess. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    either 9-46 or 10-46.

Elixir Strings are my favourite but, I end up buying D'addario as they're cheaper and sound good.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    D'Addario 9-42, been using them for decades.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:
    Philtre said:

I hate coated strings...
    I'm completely shocked at that.

Do you have a special maintenance routine?

Are you specifically going for an unusually dark tone?
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    scrumhalf said:
    D'Addario 9-42, been using them for decades.
    Decades? Wow and I was thinking a year is insanely long :P 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have sweaty hands and possibly have reynauds (my hands look like a corpses ones in winter!) My strings last forwver, no joke.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4179
    Last year I changed the strings on my classical guitar. After 10 years. ;-)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    It seems mad, but I can't find anything I like more than the Harley Benton Valuestrings that Thomann sells - I use the 11-52 gauge, and buy 24 sets at a time, usually with something else, to get the maximum discount.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    D'Addario 10s on my Mira and 11s on my Jaguar...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Currently Ernie Ball 11’s on the LP and Brite Wire 10’s on Fenders. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    ICBM said:
    thegummy said:
    Philtre said:

I hate coated strings...
    1-2 years out of a set of strings?! You have got to be kidding me!!!  :o

I take good care of my strings and wipe them down after every use and clean them with fast-fret regularly. Notwithstanding string breakages if I'm using that guitar regularly I stil have to change the strings at the outside every 2 months simply because they lose their tone and tuning accuracy/pitch deteriorates.  Only thing I can think of is that you must be playing thicker gauge (11's upwards) and play mainly rhythm chords/open chords with little or no real bending i.e. you're putting a lot less wear/strain on the strings than a rock/blues lead guitarist like me.   The only way my strings would last 1-2 years is if I kept it in its case and didn't play it!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 10-46s on all my 4 string electrics, either EB or D'Addario. I tried the D'Addario set with the wound G recently and while it was less successful on my Fender offsets, It suited my Ric 330 perfectly.

I had always used EB 8-40 sets on my Ric 330/12 but having just tried them on my Electric XII, I think I need to go up at least a gauge. They just seem so insubstantial on the XII.

Strings last ages for me, unless I let my best mate have a go. He has alien acid sweat which kills strings like nothing else I've encountered!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Elixirs for me. Due to climate. They are pricey, but non coated are a false economy in my situation.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I like Ernie Ball strings. 9-42 on my PRS Custom 24 and 10-46 on my SG-A-LIKE. 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**