Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum partitioning

What's Hot
Does anyone else feel that the creation of the two Off Topic sub-fora here; Politics Economics and Tributes has effectively killed both ?  I propose bringing both of these sections up a level so they are at the same level as Off Topic and other sections under “Chat”.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    I'm not sure I agree that it has killed them off - certainly I think some people avoid Politics/Economics, so it's a good thing that it's separated out.

What difference do you think it would make, Emp?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought most people browsed through recent discussions. If that’s still the case I don’t see what real difference it would make unless they’re auto hidden 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16801
    edited January 2018

It gives people the option to hide them if they want.   Not sure about Tributes but some of the politics threads deserved to be hidden out the way.     Politics has already moved back into a general area from BCD, previously it wouldn't show up in recent discussion, now it does.

Maybe if the posters in those sections can learn to behave in a way that doesn't cause extra work for the moderators, those in charge might consider reintegrating them more fully.  

Has it caused less issues since the move to its own area????

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27712
    WezV said:

Has it caused less issues since the move to its own area????

Yes.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Disappointed. I was thinking it would be a suggestion to partition all the nutcases in their own area.
    axisus said:
    Disappointed. I was thinking it would be a suggestion to partition all the nutcases in their own area.
    What do you think BCD is?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'd leave politics where it is ... I find I don't post as much and maybe in the future it can just be binned and we can be a politics free forum. Most discussions turn into a slanging match with left v right, Brexiteers v Remainers etc.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28753
    I would still like a "nice" hidden area.

Basically for non-contentious stuff but hidden from non-members and from Google.

It could be used for discussing work things, for example.

I know I can use (and have used) BCD for this, but I'd like not to wade through the stuff that's in BCD - I don't mind it existing at all, it's just not the place for me (same as the politics section).

:)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sporky said:
    I would still like a "nice" hidden area.

Basically for non-contentious stuff but hidden from non-members and from Google.

It could be used for discussing work things, for example.

I know I can use (and have used) BCD for this, but I'd like not to wade through the stuff that's in BCD - I don't mind it existing at all, it's just not the place for me (same as the politics section).

:)
    Not thought of that .. excellent idea.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24455
    @guitarfishbay I never use the 'recent discussions' feature.  I just drop in to the various sections for a nosey.  My reasoning for proposing the elevation of the sub-fora is that I think that where they are, they get far less traffic than they would if they weren't located there.  I think that politics is a very important subject and moving it to where it is now is, in effect, an attempt to brush it under the carpet so to speak.  The same with Parody - although I do understand the reasoning in doing it - to declutter OT, it is a bit nonsensical and illogical - like having a comedian telling jokes then going into a different room to delivery the punch line.

I'm just not happy at the practice of 'burying' a section of the forum down a layer where it will be seen less - especially with a subject as important as politics.
  • There are thousands of politics forums and groups available out there on the internet Emp. 

The fact that we have an area for such discussions on a guitar forum feels like a concession to the desire of some members to discuss contentious subjects. I don't have a problem with it, and join in with some discussions (at least until someone puts 50p in one of the dick heads and any debate is lost in favour of a toddler bun fight). I totally agree with it being down a level. It's not a core of the forum, and a relatively small percentage of members have anything to do with it.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Being a "recent discussions" style browser of this site I'd forgotten we had a separate politics section.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’d say leave it where it is.      It’s an off topic discussion so belongs in that section,  in the same way that there are sub sections in the classified and reviews sections, it makes it easy to find and keeps things organised.  

I can see an argument for putting it in bcd rather than ot but bcd seems to have become a home for the bizarre rather than just a private chat area so it’s probdbly less likely to have serious discussion there - part of OT is fine. 
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited January 2018
    Being a "recent discussions" style browser of this site I'd forgotten we had a separate politics section.
    so had I - and I am very happy with this state of affairs. I agree with @Sporky that it would be good to have a 'nice' hidden area but it might be difficult to keep it nice unless perhaps it had a very boring title to deter the not-so-nice posters.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    That as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Having a politics section on here was one of the best moves ever. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Meh. Leave it alone.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24455
    Indeed.  That appears to be the will of the people.  I’ll wind my neck in.
    Emp_Fab said:
    I’ll wind my neck in.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72685
    Fretwired said:
    I'd leave politics where it is ... I find I don't post as much and maybe in the future it can just be binned and we can be a politics free forum. Most discussions turn into a slanging match with left v right, Brexiteers v Remainers etc.
    I think it's been much less like that since it's been a subsection in Off Topic rather than BCD. TTony will be able to tell us if that's due to moderation or just better behaviour...

I still read it all, but it does seem less actively used than it was. I would miss it though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein