Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Forum partitioning

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27717
    ICBM said:

TTony will be able to tell us if that's due to moderation or just better behaviour...

It's not been particularly moderated, so I guess it's calmer because its in OT rather than BCD.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I once found myself knee deep in the politics section, and wondered where I was. After opening my eyes, I promptly blew a fuse at the first thread I read. When I fixed that, I took another look, and all the main fuses inside my head started screaming and exploded like those self-destructing lemmings. Not been back since. Life's to short to get drawn into yet another battle for Britain.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I avoid the news, I avoid political Facebook posts where possible and I come on here to talk about music and general stuff which is anything that isnt political. 

Politics and religion separate us more than a tone wood discussion. I say leave it the hell out of the way.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    lonestar said:

Politics and religion separate us more than a tone wood discussion.
    I'm not so sure about that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are thousands of politics forums and groups available out there on the internet Emp. 

The fact that we have an area for such discussions on a guitar forum feels like a concession to the desire of some members to discuss contentious subjects.

And there are forums out there to discuss stuff like flogging a car, unblocking a bog, going running, medical complaints, and all the other joy we have in OT regularly... 

The politics died on its arse when some of the best contributors left the forum last year and we got Ro as their replacement.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Emp_Fab said:
    Indeed.  That appears to be the will of the people.  I’ll wind my neck in.
    You should have asked for a new section for Trump threads .. ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17697
    tFB Trader
    I much prefer the OT section being free from ranty political threads.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There are thousands of politics forums and groups available out there on the internet Emp. 

The fact that we have an area for such discussions on a guitar forum feels like a concession to the desire of some members to discuss contentious subjects.

And there are forums out there to discuss stuff like flogging a car, unblocking a bog, going running, medical complaints, and all the other joy we have in OT regularly... 

The politics died on its arse when some of the best contributors left the forum last year and we got Ro as their replacement.  
    Can you define "Best" for me? 

There have been a few casualties fallen to the mighty ban hammer, mostly for thinking on an empty head. A few others have left, but we've still got many fantastic regular posters who chip in on lots of topics. 

Off Topic is more popular than most of the rest of the forum, people like shooting the breeze. The problem with emotive topics is that some people forget the golden rule of only saying online what you'd say in person. That's why it's on a different place, because some people are knob heads.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2018

Who left who contributed to the politics threads ... I can't think of one to be honest. I notice some people who were active on the political threads still post,  but don't bother with politics any more (Mags springs to mind). I was an active poster but don't bother much as to be honest I'm sick to the back teeth and bored with what Trump's done today, or how bad Brexit will be, or what a shit PM Maybot is or why Corbyn would be a disaster .. I wouldn't be sorry to see it go .. Facebook is full of it along with all the associated virtue signalling and moral outrage.

#Idon't care

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Tone wood
    Religion
    Politics 

Pick one and only ONE and prove that it works. Go on... you know you want to ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lonestar said:
    lonestar said:

Tone wood
    Religion
    Politics 

Politics works... Just not for the plebs ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    lonestar said:
    lonestar said:

Tone wood
    Religion
    Politics 

I may look stupid, but..
  • Can you define "Best" for me? 

There have been a few casualties fallen to the mighty ban hammer, mostly for thinking on an empty head. A few others have left, but we've still got many fantastic regular posters who chip in on lots of topics. 

Off Topic is more popular than most of the rest of the forum, people like shooting the breeze. The problem with emotive topics is that some people forget the golden rule of only saying online what you'd say in person. That's why it's on a different place, because some people are knob heads.
    When it comes to politics, there are obvious names out there. There are all folk out there who said online what they say in person and I'm not thinking of people who got banned. 

Fretwired said:

#Idon't care

I'm surprised by that as you've certainly posted a great deal and a lot of good stuff. I do wonder if society as a whole is politicked out at the minute. 

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3281

Fretwired said:

#Idon't care

I'm surprised by that as you've certainly posted a great deal and a lot of good stuff. I do wonder if society as a whole is politicked out at the minute. 
    Perhaps the interest in guitars is a form of escapism for some of of us. I am more than happy to discuss politics at great length and with passion in the real world but I don’t want to think about those issues or any of life’s other hurdles when I’m thinking about guitars and music. The fretboard for me is an escape from that serious real world -I’d rather keep politics out the way of my reason for being here, guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’ve long been one for recent discussions but lately I’ve been going to direct topics due to the excess of off topic. As is is fine by me. Off topic is necessary but thank god for bcd; no better place to get a real understanding of who you’re dealing with. If you haven looked already, take a dip and then run away fast, take a good shower and remind yourself that those places are totally necessary for the rest of us who are only here to talk guitars and get incredible advice. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28773
    BCD is important. It's like having a sewer - stops the muck washing over the streets. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27717
    lukedlb said:
    I’ve long been one for recent discussions but lately I’ve been going to direct topics due to the excess of off topic. 
    @lukedlb - you can configure your *own* version  of the recent discussions view, so that it only includes threads from sections that you're interested in.

If you don't want to see any OT threads in recent discussions, or any  theory threads, or any (etc), just exclude them.

BCD threads are excluded at the forum level, no-one sees those in recent discussions ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    lukedlb said:
    I’ve long been one for recent discussions but lately I’ve been going to direct topics due to the excess of off topic. 
    @lukedlb - you can configure your *own* version  of the recent discussions view, so that it only includes threads from sections that you're interested in.

If you don't want to see any OT threads in recent discussions, or any  theory threads, or any (etc), just exclude them.

BCD threads are excluded at the forum level, no-one sees those in recent discussions ...
    The fretboard just gets better and better. Thank you for all your genius hard work. 
    @TTony , Ok, I give up. How do I configure my recent discussions view? I tried.
    lukedlb said:
    @TTony , Ok, I give up. How do I configure my recent discussions view? I tried.
    As I pressed Post comment, I noticed the Help & Feedback link. Went there, found your fret. Doing it now. thanks.