The world's most disappointing pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• Boss Blues Driver. Horrible, raspy tone with a most unpleasant note decay.
     To be honest, I'm not sure I've heard any Boss dirt pedals that I like.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Sassafras said:
    bbill335 said:
    Way Huge Pork Loin. Somehow either too boomy or too harsh, baffling not-clean-clean-blend. Probably kicks ass on bass but for six string, no thanks.
    I understand the boomy bit, they do kick out a lot of bass, but harsh?
    To compensate for the muddiness, I tried boosting the treble controls (inside and out). Just added an unpleasant amount of harsh high-end. Clearly, it works for some people but not me. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2942
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader

Marvel Drive for me, ordered from the US and waited. Sounded good on @photek rig so was really looking forward to it. Sounded either fizzy or spikey or too dull on the amp I had, couldn't find a sweet spot, and it was noisy. Quickly sold on.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Sassafras said:
    bbill335 said:
    Way Huge Pork Loin. Somehow either too boomy or too harsh, baffling not-clean-clean-blend. Probably kicks ass on bass but for six string, no thanks.

What not even the metal zone!!! 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    Soul Food was thin and weedy...I might have been using it wrong though  :s  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1468
    Corvus said:

Marvel Drive for me, ordered from the US and waited. Sounded good on @photek rig so was really looking forward to it. Sounded either fizzy or spikey or too dull on the amp I had, couldn't find a sweet spot, and it was noisy. Quickly sold on.

I wonder if there were a few dodgy ones kicking around, there are several internal trim pots that bias the FETs (apparently) and they are not meant to be adjusted. I had 6 Marvels and the last one did sound a bit thin compared to the others.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2942
    tFB Trader
    It might have not liked the amp, I can't even remember what that was now and I've got all different guitars too. All just the normal gear quest stuff but I couldn't get it sounding the way I'd hoped.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Sassafras said:
    bbill335 said:

What not even the metal zone!!! 

I feel like the Metal Zone isn't a disappointment as it would (probably) meet my every (low) expectation, whereas I had high hopes that the Pork Loin would give me Bonamassa blue lawyer tonez but it didn't.

Still a Way Huge fan tho!

• CarewCarew Frets: 9
    impmann said:
    exactly what were you plugging into?  

were were plugging in an electro-acoustic with an onboard preamp?  if so, it's not intended for that.

were you plugging in an electric, expecting it to be an acoustic simulator?  it's not that.
    pedal fiend
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Didn't like the TC Hall of Fame at all, sounded unnatural and not connected to my playing. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    Fuengi said:
    Didn't like the TC Hall of Fame at all, sounded unnatural and not connected to my playing. 
    I've had one for ages and it seems to sound great in isolation but I've never got it to sit right live. Like it's not there enough... turn it up a bit, bit more, bit more... then all of a sudden I'm drenched in a verby mess. Can never find the sweet spot. Always felt like it must just be me given the number of pros that have/had them on their boards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    photek said:
    Corvus said:

I wonder if there were a few dodgy ones kicking around, there are several internal trim pots that bias the FETs (apparently) and they are not meant to be adjusted. I had 6 Marvels and the last one did sound a bit thin compared to the others.
    Very possible
  • Dod Milk Box Compressor 
  • Marshall Shredmaster just awful!
  • Gonna be honest, from what I've heard of the ADI21 I think it sounds quite good... 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    impmann said:
    Here's my nomination...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-ADI-21-Acoustic-Amp-Modeler/dp/B000KITQK2

I picked one up s/h on ebay for a tenner.

If you want a distortion box for your acoustic guitar, then this is the baby for you. The mid control is a distortion control. The pad switch is the 'make less fuzzy' switch. And the treble control is a 'make it hurt' control.

These are seriously shit. I think mine is going bin-wards, as I don't want to inflict it on anyone else.

Lol I love your description of the treble control :) 

It's quite possible it does sound as bad as that but it's also possible it's faulty. Over the years I've seen some terrible Behringer stuff and I had to buy myself 3 x ADA8000 ADAT converters, all brand new from CPC,  before I got one that was 100% working. I only kept buying em because at that time ,  it was the only bit of kit less than £400 odd which did the job. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I once played an original Klon Centaur back when they only cost £500. I wasn’t particularly amazed then. I’m not sure why they are quite worth such silly money now.
    I don’t have a gambling problem, I’m winning, and winning is not a problem for me. That’s like saying that Iron Maiden have an awesomeness problem.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Lazy J Crusier deuce for me. Fizzy top end dirt. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Controversial maybe but for me it was the Timmy and Muffroom Cloud. 

The Timmy sounded completely generic and quite flubby and the Muffroom Cloud was just so ‘soft’. Very compressed and immediately lost in the mix regardless of eq. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3330
    Sassafras said:
    bbill335 said:
    What amp and guitar? I've never found it to be harsh and bass can be tamed.

Have you checked the internal dip switches to see where they're set, if it's still with you?