The world's most disappointing pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7819
    Sassafras said:

I do tend to find it's generally you guys that are into your forties and beyond that bang the boss drum the most.

Because with age comes great wisdom.
     :) 
    Or stubbornness and an unwillingness to change :-p
    Don't know about that.

I started life with boss, mainly as it was all I could get. Then went mfx. Then stopped playing.

Came back and went all boutique. Gradually gone back to boss for lots of things. Partly due to cost, availability and quite a few switch failures on other stuff. (Ehx, empress,  Roger mayer) or build quality issues  (jhs, ehx). Pedals with 3dpt really piss me off as many make stupid popping noises.

For large chunks if what I do (mainly short notice depping) boss just works.

I have es5, dd500, PS3,  sd1, bd2, dm2w, fz2 and rv5

Now I think that lot gives me a wide range of sound and options. I can do everything from country through modern rock.

I agree there are areas where boss are poor or boring, phaser, flanger and tremolo spring to mind. But generally their range is solid.

I also can't remember the last time I saw a touring band without at least one boss pedal on the guitarists board.

For my own amusement I do like other companies, chase bliss, moog, empress etc all go very cool stuff. But for work, boss is easily good enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2927
    I'm sure it's just down to not spending enough time tweaking it but I find myself disappointed with Helix having now tried a rack and Native. I know there are good tones in it given the amount of videos on youtube, however I just can't get tones I'd be happy to drop that kind of money on. Don't get me wrong it sounds good, I just can't make it sound good enough for me and I've had better results, dialled in easier, using much cheaper equipment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My response was a joke fella.

At the end of the day it is all about whatever works for you.

I'm sure you can get a passable sound with your choices but I'd argue it's not the best sound you could have with what's available on the market.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    My response was a joke fella.

I realize, but I'm in the dying days of my 30's. I need to defend myself against accusations of Boss related obstinance.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Korg Miku yet...

I found it disappointing - it wasn't actually as crazy or as 'vocal' sounding as I expected, the range of sounds was quite limited and all sounded basically very similar, it didn't track well and there was an annoying volume change. It might have been more usable in a parallel mix loop, but the lack of variety and control over the sound itself would still have made it a one-trick pony.

Also I have to say the Boss SYB-3 (I think I had that not the 5) Bass Synth pedal was crap. That also had to be run in a parallel mix to make it any good, and even then wasn't brilliant. The Digitech Synth Wah was miles better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1638
    This thread has inspired me to want to build a Boss board. 

Those 500 series Boss pedals any good? I’m sure I could have a pedal board with those three pedals 
  • shaunm said:

Those 500 series Boss pedals any good? I’m sure I could have a pedal board with those three pedals 
    The delay gets a lot of love. The modulation is a bit of a mixed bag. The reverb again has a mixed reception. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    shaunm said:

The delay gets a lot of love. The modulation is a bit of a mixed bag. The reverb again has a mixed reception. 

Yup, the delay is great. Especially after the recent firmware update.
  • Anyone come across Toadworks pedals? I bought one off eBay that was some sort of Tweed sounding thing, or supposed to be at least. I saw a great YouTube demo (I know, I know...) and it was £50 or so on eBay.
    Well I had this thing in the house for literally 30 mins at the most before I took it down to Chandlers and did a trade for a Pork Loin + cash. What a piece of crap - unbelievably hissy and thin sounding. Tone control went from ice pick to dog-hearing frequencies. Hideous. It used to make me smile that is was in Chandlers for about 5 years right up until the bitter end in 2016.

i see the Pork Loin was mentioned earlier - great pedal for bright rigs I think. Mine used to be great when I was playing Jazzmaster into AC30. Shouldn't have sold it. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31778
    Anything branded Jimi Hendrix I have always found to be bad enough to return...
    Their Slight Returns Dept must be busy. 
    :) 
    9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4615
    @p90fool bloody genius
  • The Toadworks pedal that I mentioned was the L'il Leo. I had to google it, as it was so dire that I'd erased all memory of it. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    Fuzz Face
    Rangemaster
    Solar Bender
    anything by Colorsound

if it hadn't been for either nothing else available or fancy-schmancy 70s version of dayglo colours and wacky fonts, no-one would have given them floor space...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/ff/8f/a3/ff8fa3074125933441ce516c752a82f2.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have the MD500 modulation. And quickly sold all my other modulation. Its great. You need to take some time to learn the inner tweaking options which are many.   
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16306
    The Toadworks pedal that I mentioned was the L'il Leo. I had to google it, as it was so dire that I'd erased all memory of it.
    I had one, it was great. 

Well it it was great until it broke. I gave it away to someone on here who also thought it was great ( once he’d repaired it). I don’t recall it as hissy although it was bright - but I was chasing something like Wilko Johnson in a box and it worked okay for that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7842
    57Deluxe said:
    Fuzz Face
    Rangemaster
    Solar Bender
    anything by Colorsound

if it hadn't been for either nothing else available or fancy-schmancy 70s version of dayglo colours and wacky fonts, no-one would have given them floor space...

Thing is, fuzzes sound great into slightly dirty compressed amps like Marshall Plexis turned up. They don't work into a Fender Deluxe reverb.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9782
    edited January 2018
    I nominate the Marshall Bluesbreaker BB2 (not the BB1). Anyone who’s ever heard one will know I’m right.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72846
    57Deluxe said:

anything by Colorsound

Are you mad? They sound brilliant!

OK the build quality makes Electro-Harmonix look rugged and military-spec, but in those days they probably thought no-one would care after first battery ran out and they'd just buy something new...

HAL9000 said:
    I nominate the Marshall Bluesbreaker BB2 (not the BB1). Anyone who’s ever heard one will know I’m right.
    Both of them are. How they could name such a bland, boring pedal after one of the best-sounding amps ever, I don't know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe said:
    Fuzz Face
    Rangemaster
    Solar Bender
    anything by Colorsound

Thing is, fuzzes sound great into slightly dirty compressed amps like Marshall Plexis turned up. They don't work into a Fender Deluxe reverb.
    Hmm - they most certainly do work into smaller fenders!
  • The Toadworks pedal that I mentioned was the L'il Leo. I had to google it, as it was so dire that I'd erased all memory of it.
    I had one, it was great. 

Well it it was great until it broke. I gave it away to someone on here who also thought it was great ( once he’d repaired it). I don’t recall it as hissy although it was bright - but I was chasing something like Wilko Johnson in a box and it worked okay for that. 
    Mine was the silver one with single tone control. I think there was a black one with bass and treble too - which was yours?