So who here saw a gig the longest time ago?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• NeillNeill Frets: 943
    boogieman said:
    Neill said:
    Ah-ha. Barron Knights at the London Palladium (hosted by Ken Dodd). I went with my aunt.

"I don't want to go to work
    On me bike, in the rain (bike in the rain)"
    "So keep buying all our records,

Then we won't clock in again..."

@BenSirAmos deeply envious you saw them live I can still remember all the songs  "Walk tall, walk tall and look the boss right in the eye, that's what the foreman told me when I went for a rise..."
    In 2018, you can still catch them live: https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/the-barron-knights
    Good grief! How are they still going, they were shite when they started off, can’t imagine they have much if any  relevance these days? Hmm, actually my mum still has some of their 60s singles, she’d probably like them. She’s 92. 
    I think Ken Dodd is still on tour as well. Your Mum would probably like him too. 

The Barron Knights were just a comedy act. On the other hand, a lot of musicians and bands take themselves far too seriously these days. 
    The Barron Knights might not be everyone's cup of tea but they were/are great musicians and hugely popular in their day, seemingly they still are.  They toured with the Beatles and the Stones,  - John Lennon was a big fan but what would he know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4732
    Ah-ha. Barron Knights at the London Palladium (hosted by Ken Dodd). I went with my aunt.

Blimey.  I saw the same bill.  Could it have been the same day?

Also saw Frank Ifield who introduced me to country music without my knowing.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Obviously can't compete (as I was born the day after boogieman saw The Beatles), but my first gig was Whitesnake at Oxford New Theatre on 24th October 1979, and then one a month for a few months - Hawkwind, Motörhead, UFO, Gillan, Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Thin Lizzy: it mainly depended on who was coming through town.

(Bernie Tormé-era Gillan were fantastic, actually, especially if you were fifteen. And Chapman-era UFO, particularly live, unfairly forgotten, I think .But then, I was, as I say, fifteen, so it's not as if I had a breadth of experience to measure them against.)
    I’m a bit of a Torme fan boy and have seen him a few times across the years. However, when I saw Gillan he had Janick Gers so I’m slightly jealous. 
    Oddly enough I’d seen Janick in White Spirit a couple of years earlier who I thought were a bit naff ( even disregarding them having one of the worst band names of all time). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rlw said:

Blimey.  I saw the same bill.  Could it have been the same day?

Also saw Frank Ifield who introduced me to country music without my knowing.
    I think they did a 26-week stint together - but it is possible and would be funny if we could find out