Gah. Fecking trees

What's Hot
Had a tree come down last night. Big ass evergreen  job with a load of ivy on it.

It’s now resting against a wall and our house. Ffs. 

Tree surgeon has been. They are starting on it today - minimum £450 for the privilege. Gah.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    Whose tree is it? If that's public land surely the local council need to sort it.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sesh said:
    Whose tree is it? If that's public land surely the local council need to sort it.
    Nope. My tree. My land. I own the river bank right down the side of my house.

The other side of the tree from our house is the river, so Access is a right shit. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Just wait until they privatise the rest of the nhs, mate, you’ll think this was a bargain!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    Just wait until they privatise the rest of the nhs, mate, you’ll think this was a bargain!
    If a nice nurse turns up to fell it then I’ll be quite happy...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Oooohhhh, matron!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    Sesh said:

The other side of the tree from our house is the river, so Access is a right shit. 
    Ah, I see. The wall makes it look like it would be outside your property. It's a shit all round then. Best of luck.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    usedtobe said:
    If a nice nurse turns up to fell it then I’ll be quite happy...

Now there's a niche market - Tree Ladies instead of Tree Fellers.

I'll get me coat.

Good luck with the tree.  The ivy really makes the buggers lean when it gets that thick...

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sesh said:
    Sesh said:

Ah, I see. The wall makes it look like it would be outside your property. It's a shit all round then. Best of luck.
    Yeah, it's outside the 'walled' bit of the house and runs as a strip down the side of the house in between the house/garden and the river. It's a right sod to get to with anything bigger than a saw.

It's plastered with Ivy and it's all over the shop. Most upset.
  • My parents' garden has a couple of very tall trees - one is sycamore and maybe 70ft tall (?). One came down in the storms just before Christmas. It had some rot low down which was invisible until a big gust tore it apart. Being extremely tall actually made things better - because as it fell it got tangled in some conifers  which stopped it falling onto the fence and then onto the public path, and also from smashing the greenhouse. The damage was just one pane of glass getting a tiny branch through it. However, the cost to remove it is 4 figures. And because the remainder of the tree is rotten, the council have made it a requirement to have that removed too. Insurance paid out for the fallen section, not the standing piece.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Surely a chainsaw and guaranteed chainsaw based entertainment is cheaper? B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2018
    River in your garden! Man I'd love that, can I come down and fish it? I promise I won't knock over any trees.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited January 2018
    ...the real reason we're all leaping on this thread is we want to know what species of tree it is, how thick the trunk is and if it's usable for a guitar project...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27943
    You see the problem of a fallen tree.

I see the opportunity of a mahoosive load of firewood.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    LuttiS said:
    Surely a chainsaw and guaranteed chainsaw based entertainment is cheaper? B)
    Sadly due to the precarious nature of it, I have a fear of self-inflicting death.

River in your garden! Man I'd love that, can I come down and fish it? I promise I won't knock over any trees.
    I have a mooring you can fish off (seriously)

Ravenous said:
    ...the real reason we're all leaping on this thread is we want to now what species of tree it is, how thick the trunk is and if it's usable for a guitar project...
    Trunk is rotten. Totally fucked. Might make a good eBay project tho ;)

TTony said:
    You see the problem of a fallen tree.

I see the opportunity of a mahoosive load of firewood.
    I will keep some of it for burning, but man there's a lot of canvas...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Rule one. Never let ivy grow up a tree - it adds weigh and during a high wind the ivy leaves act like mini sails on a galleon harvesting the wind with the result the tree is blown over. I only found out when the same thing happened to me and the tree surgeon accused me of 'killing' a perfectly good tree through negligence.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27943
    Fretwired said:
    Rule one. Never let ivy grow up a tree -
    I really dislike ivy.

Anything that grows so rapidly and easily must be a weed.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    Should rent your mooring out to Boaters ;)
    Fretwired said:
    Rule one. Never let ivy grow up a tree - it adds weigh and during a high wind the ivy leaves act like mini sails on a galleon harvesting the wind with the result the tree is blown over. I only found out when the same thing happened to me and the tree surgeon accused me of 'killing' a perfectly good tree through negligence.
    Sadly Ivy was established well before we bought the house. 

Even with significant removal it's still taken over. Why people let this stuff grow up their house I will never know!!

sweepy said:
    Should rent your mooring out to Boaters ;)
    I doubt I'd get much for it - but we do have quite a few boats on our river
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4214
    You’d be surprised, which river is it ?
    sweepy said:
    You’d be surprised, which river is it ?
    River Glen - it's a fenland waterway. If they ever build the fens link and link it to the main inland system, I will be sitting on a fortune