Who's the best front man, or woman, of all time?

What's Hot

Comments

• Kirk Brandon was pretty good when I saw SOD in the mid-80s. Pseudo-operatic voice, lots of emotion, a fair bit of charisma.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Dave Lee Roth. Who else could get away with wearing leather chaps with the arse-cheeks cut out?

And a curved ball - Ian Anderson with Jethro Tull in the 70's. Most charismatic performer I've seen.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    No mention for in his prime Meatloaf? :)

He took up much of the stage with his "presence" 

Saw him in 2008 ish? First few songs were spectacular then his voice lost it, but in terms of working the stage and crowd he was great... He's one of the people i wish i'd seen when they were good. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411

And a curved ball - Ian Anderson with Jethro Tull in the 70's. Most charismatic performer I've seen.

I saw them in the late 80s and he was then too.

He's also probably almost unique in that he single-handedly introduced a new instrument to rock music. OK, there hasn't exactly been a lot of take-up since...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22939
    LuttiS said:
    No mention for in his prime Meatloaf? :)

He took up much of the stage with his "presence" 

Saw him in 2008 ish? First few songs were spectacular then his voice lost it, but in terms of working the stage and crowd he was great... He's one of the people i wish i'd seen when they were good. :)
    I saw him around that time I think, maybe a year or two earler.  It was the only gig I've ever been to where I wished I'd taken a book to read.

To be fair, I was way up in the back corner of that atmosphere-free cowshed that is Wembley Arena.
  • Dave Lee Roth. Who else could get away with wearing leather chaps with the arse-cheeks cut out?

I'm fairly sure that chaps are designed not to have arse cheeks. Although they are designed to be worn over trousers, that's the detail Diamond Dave forgot. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    Lodious said:
    Good call with Robert Calvert, I saw him with ICU and he was amazing.

Dave Lee Roth

Perry Farrell 

P J Harvey

Anthony Kedis 

Lemmy

Paul Draper 

Kathleen Hanna 

Lady Gaga

I saw paul draper on Saturday, while the band were good, he certainly wasn't a great frontman on this occasion. :) 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2403
    But... they played the whole Attack of the grey lantern as their 2nd set, so all is forgiven ;) 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Freddie by a mile.
    Surely Madonna for the girls?

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    ICBM said:
    fandango said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Jim Morrison
    Page 1, post 3 :).

Sorry.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited March 2018
    Man - Baz from Predatur

Woman - A girl fronting a metal band at a Wheel Motor Cycle Club bash at a pub in Stelling Minnis around 2011. One of those moment when when time stands stops. She had a voice not unlike Lizzy Hale and had real charisma.
  • Dave Lee Roth. Who else could get away with wearing leather chaps with the arse-cheeks cut out?

Second that! JT were amazing when I saw them  
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Beck
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    Little Richard or James Brown.

Don’t know if he qualifies as a frontman but Sammy Davis Jnr was an absolute phenomenon.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ICBM said:

I saw them in the late 80s and he was then too.

He's also probably almost unique in that he single-handedly introduced a new instrument to rock music. OK, there hasn't exactly been a lot of take-up since...
    I saw them late 80s. I don't particularly remember the charismatic front man bit but it was a gig I didn't particularly want to go to but then enjoyed immensely. They were quite fun ( lot of people running around the stage in animal costumes for example) which was the opposite of what I'd expected.
    Off the back of that I saw Fairport Convention a few times late 80s/ early 90s who were almost a JT off shoot at that point. Probably no charismatic front person but,IIRC, every member of the band would chat to the audience and they'd joke amongst themselves. First time I'd seen a band like that, like a great evening down the pub with some brilliant musicians .
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    The best I ever saw live in concert was Jim Dandy of Black Oak Arkansas. 

He 'sung' like a broken chainsaw but as a showman, back in 1973, was almost peerless. It's generally considered that he was the forerunner of David Lee Roth who he had a massive influence on. 

Freddie and DLR are obvious candidates. Peter Gabriel back in the day with Genesis was also mighty impressive.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Sarge said:
    Lodious said:
    Good call with Robert Calvert, I saw him with ICU and he was amazing.

Dave Lee Roth

Perry Farrell 

P J Harvey

Anthony Kedis 

Lemmy

Paul Draper 

Kathleen Hanna 

Lady Gaga

I saw paul draper on Saturday, while the band were good, he certainly wasn't a great frontman on this occasion. :) 
    Haha, your probably right @Sarge. I saw them in Manchester ages ago and they smashed the stage up, which I thought was pretty cool at the time*.

* - I know I should not think that as it's childish ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited March 2018
    In his earlier years Rory Gallagher was possibly the best front man if his time.  He engaged and held his audience and spoke to them through his guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowd said:
    Prince for me, every time. 

On the smaller bands point, Oli Brown of Raveneye is worth a mention (and also an enthusiastic @thorpyfx fallout cloud user!). Bit too early to be the greatest (!) but very, very good. 

Saw them last week. Great energy and showmanship, all sorts going on (crowd surfing solo, excursion into audience on bass player’s shoulders, lots of left hand legato riffing while holding the mic and singing) and just a great rock n roll attitude without being a prick. Highly recommend them live. 

Was thinking Oli Brown as soon as I saw the thread title. He really is a tremendous frontman. I've seen him 11 times now and every time is captivating. Bit early to be the greatest as you say, but certainly great.

I would have to say Axl Rose in his prime, that sense of danger must have been fantastic, and the best I've seen personally would have to be Chris Cornell who was a truly mesmerising frontman with charisma and grace in equal measure - he could make 10,000 people feel like they were all getting a personal private show.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7804
    I'm not really sure what "best" is. In terms of delivering the music, or turning the gig into a show? It's surely very different things depending on the size of the venue and the type of music being played.

Ever been to a low gig? Damn near played in reverent silence and totally captivating, yet I can't see any awards for "best front man" being banded about.

Freddie has a lot to answer for when it comes to call and response crowed sing a longs, was he the first to inflict this on us?