Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Elon Musk's Space X Rocket Launch Tonight

What's Hot

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5604
    And it's caught people's imagination and folk on a guitar forum are talking about it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh come on you grinches !  Launching anything into space that isn't another bloody tv / spy / satellite is cool - especially if it's something utterly frivolous like a sports car....  and to Bowie.  Keith Moon only drove a car into a swimming pool - Elon Musk launched one into space FFS !
    In a country where millions can't afford basic healthcare a billionaire can fire one of his cars into space. Personally I think its pathetic - all those bright people and billions of dollars wasted shoving yet more junk into space. It's not rock n' roll. Its not even cool. 

Call me Mr Grinch, but Musk is just Howard Hughes MK2.

I don't like the idea of creating junk anywhere either, although in this case it was a rocket test and there had to be a payload of something. Instead of using blocks of concrete or metal (the usual payload approach used by space agencies), Elon used one of his cars. Same net result from a test standpoint, but definitely a great marketing coup at the same time.
    Right ... but the aim was to fly it Mars so a little more than testing a payload. That's gone wrong so now a dummy in a space suit will be whizzing round the solar system while the cars body rots ... and we're trying to get people to recycle more and not dump plastics.

This won't wind up in the sea though!  If it does somehow make it's way back to Earth it will burn up on re-entry.

They are still using it as a test payload.  The whole point of bigger rockets like this is that you need them to get beyond Earth orbits.  If we want to go back to the moon at some point, then the ones that are currently used to launch satellites aren't big enough.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7353
    ICBM said:
    Just imagine the technological puzzle when an advanced civilisation millions of years in the future find it, and try to work out how an obviously surface-transport-only vehicle got into space, and why...
    like this you mean?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

7reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Kalimna said:
    I wonder if they packed a towel into the car as well???
    Marvellous stuff, and really quite breathtaking.

Adam
    A towel, and a copy of THGTTG in the glove compartment apparently!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Well, I didn't know that :) All I say was 'Dont Panic' on the centre console.......

Love the Tesla association too :)

Adam
  • No one seems to have pointed out yet that there is NO SOUND IN SPACE
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    In space, no one can hear your terrible scale practice...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    No one seems to have pointed out yet that there is NO SOUND IN SPACE
    Technically not true ... ;-)

http://canyouactually.com/nasa-actually-recorded-sound-in-space-and-its-absolutely-chilling/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Oh SirAxeman, you are a hoot :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    There's no guarantee that the parking situation will be any easier on Mars.
    And where are they going to recharge the batteries?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2018

...wonder if its tyres will hold out for the Martian MOT?? And how many miles will it show on the clock? lol

You know this Musky chap is probably laughing at you lot whilst he was polishing his red Tesla in his garage today.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Sassafras said:
    There's no guarantee that the parking situation will be any easier on Mars.
    And where are they going to recharge the batteries?
    Musk could be prosecuted if his car crashes on Mars .... that'll wipe the smile off his face.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1341
    siraxeman said:

The funny bits were the 2 camera views of the 2 boosters (left and right)) were actually the same 1 camera view of 1 booster or rocket. Unless they had syncronised flames? Nice touch if they did!! Obvious mistake that, I bet you fanboi's all spotted that one eh?....and the comical bit where the US live TV "lost signal" lol And the edits of the launch were good to...why edit ? Why not keep the camera fixed on the whole launch without cuts?

I did like the look of the car with almost the full ball earth visible at the same time....how far away was that then? lol you guys are lapping this fakery right up aren't you?

Sadly you might have rubbed off on me, because when I watch these things I see things that "folks" such as yourself will, without looking any closer or thinking, jump on as "evidence".

The 2 boosters were not the same camera view, watch again.  They were perfectly synchronised, and of course they would be, wouldn't they?  They are coming from the same point to land at the same point on the earth.

Why would a fake launch "lose signal"?  They are admitting that the landing of the main rocket malfunctioned, why would a fake rocket malfunction?  Why would they bother claiming it could land itself at all?

You think you have all the answers, but really you don't ask any of the right questions.  Ever.

...The rest of your comment is even more inane, but keep laughing anyway :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15883
    fuck me, he's escaped from BCD. Nurse, he's out of his pit again.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    No one seems to have pointed out yet that there is NO SOUND IN SPACE
    Technically not true ... ;-)

http://canyouactually.com/nasa-actually-recorded-sound-in-space-and-its-absolutely-chilling/

Some other tings are blissfully quiet too :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What i find amusing is his stamina to keep this charade going... Keep it up fella :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Top Gear had a go if anyone remembers

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• exocetexocet Frets: 1988
    Fretwired said:
    It’s an advert for an expensive car. Yawn...
    One man with too much money's ego on show .. @ICBM is right .. Musk has the aura of a Bond villain.

Launching a piece of junk into space isn't very rock n' roll ... Yuri Gagarin was rock n' roll ...
    He’s a modern day Lyle Lanley 

https://youtu.be/ZDOI0cq6GZM