Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Apart from Me!

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Playing fast and loose with ‘famous’ but had a good chat with Kyle Cook and Paul Doucette (guitarist and drummer respectively of Matchbox Twenty)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4069
    edited February 2018
    Also slightly obscure perhaps, I had a enquiry from Desmond Morris, zoologist and author of "The Naked Ape" (a best seller back in its day) asking if it was true that our band was named after finding his book in a hotel room.  We exchanged a few emails, said that was a different Naked Apes, but yes we were named after his book. 
    Also said that at the time we chose it our drummer wanted us to be called "Sponk Munkey" -- turns out that Morris was a jazz drummer and said that sounded about par for the course for a drummer.  Lovely fella and someone I admired (hence the band name).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    Emp_Fab said:
    Brian May & Billy Bragg.
    Badger Miner Welfare gig?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    You have to be a certain age to appreciate this but well before Wikipedia and Youtube when the internet was in its infancy (dial up in them days) I managed to get hold of Norman Greenbaum's email address.  To those who that name means nothing he's the guy who wrote/performed the multi million selling hit "Spirit in the Sky" which was no 1 in the UK for some weeks in the 1960's.  It's kept him in swimming pools ever since. 

The covers band I was in at the time did Spirit, it was as a good as "Brown Sugar" for getting people up to dance. But I could never quite get the fuzz tone of the riff guitar.  So I emailed Mr Greenbaum in the vain hope he might tell me exactly how he did it.  To my amazement he replied with details of what guitar he used, what amp, what settings, and what effects and no, I'm not telling. I think in Wikipedia it does mention he used a telecaster, but that's about all.

I guess these days artists have to be much more sparing with the emails they reply to and the information they divulge.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Steve Jobs
  • Joe Satriani followed me on Twitter after I started following him. I wrote thanks for the follow. He replied back "no problem" he must get a bunch of odd feeds about SAP systems Dell servers and EMC storage systems.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Jackie Chan. Well, he said he was anyway. He works in our local Takeaway.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    Also had a brief email relationship with that guy "whitetown" who had a number 1 with "your woman" we talked about 4 track home recording and Sebadoh, of which he was a big fan.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Siraxeman.

Unfortunately I cannot say what he's written to me, but all I can say is that he has shared some truth about the universe with me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    edited February 2018
    John Coghlan (ex Status Quo drummer). Work related but inevitably went a little deeper as he lives round the corner. Still got him in my contact list.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    TheMarlin said:
    Captain Sensible.  Shared many beers with him since.  
    You win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    TheMarlin said:

You're not the guy who can vomit at will are you?

I remember the Captain saying he had a mate who could throw up on demand, in fact his (mate's) party piece was barfing into a pint glass and then drinking it.

You've all had you tea have you?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Elyse Steinman, and erm.. Amy Daly..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    Every so often I see Paddy Considine in town and I say hello.  Then I realise we don’t actually know each other.

my my wife was a big fan of The Futureheads at their peak.  We went to see them and I arranged to meet up with a mate.  He was sat at a table with some other people, we all got introduced, spent an hour or so together before they had to go elsewhere.  It was only afterwards she pointed out we were sat talking with the band.

i worked with the girlfiend of a singer in a britpop band who had some hits in the 90’s, and some a few years later.  You will know the songs.  I’m not telling you the rest of that one.
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Deadman said:
    TheMarlin said:
    You win.
    Correct!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23622
    At work I have occasional email correspondence with various people in sports and entertainment, but only about boring stuff like their VAT returns....

I once sent an email to Tom Anderson guitars, on a Sunday afternoon, just asking some silly question about a bridge, and got a reply from Tom Anderson himself.  Is he a famous person?
  • I bought Steve Rothery's (marillion) photo book a couple of years ago and it didn't arrive as expected.  Had a series of emails from steve as he tried to trace where it had gone.  Turned out it was at the local post office, they had just not put a note through the door.  Steve was very pleasant through the exchange.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I bought Steve Rothery's (marillion) photo book a couple of years ago and it didn't arrive as expected.  Had a series of emails from steve as he tried to trace where it had gone.  Turned out it was at the local post office, they had just not put a note through the door.  Steve was very pleasant through the exchange.
    At least he didn’t go Incommunicado. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Rick Wakeman invited me to join his personal contacts list on LinkedIn after I wrote some jokes for him to use on his Planet Rock radio show (when he had it).
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom