Feedback

What's Hot

Comments

• MickMick Frets: 98
    Sporky said:
    Well I'll be a seal's uncle - it's not there. Added to the bug list. :)

They are there for me. Your screengrab is old, and before the tooltips were added perhaps. ;)image

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27736
    TTony said:
    I don't see them on the iPad.  Work in IE10.  Will check other browsers / OSs later.
    Update ...

The eye is visible (incl on the iPad) for Recent Discussions - as Mick's screenshot above - but not if looking under the individual sections headings.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    edited August 2013
    I had them earlier when I posted in this thread, and then they disappeared for me. Dunno where they went (the eyes for hovering, I mean).

EDIT: Ah I see now what's going on. If I go to my bookmarks, the eye is there and I can hover. If I go to the open forum, the eye isn't there and I can't hover.

I'm guessing that's the same for everyone else?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I naively thought we could give a post any number of the "indicators" .. ie; give someone a lol and a wow at the same time. Wasn't until I just tried it that I realized you can't!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7301
    Drew_fx said:
    I naively thought we could give a post any number of the "indicators" .. ie; give someone a lol and a wow at the same time. Wasn't until I just tried it that I realized you can't!
    I'd totally lol-wow you for that if I was able to.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I like this term, lol-wow.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28828
    There are limitations in the reputation system. I'd say the biggest one is that you can't easily determine which of your posts got what votes, but I think it's a good point that you can only apply one vote to any given post. One to put on the list.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10818
    tFB Trader
    Personally I'm extremely anti the whole 'reputation thing'. It might be cool for adolescents ... but this face-palm  crap encourages negativity. If you disagree with someone's point, instead of doing the intelligent thing and arguing your case ... you can resort to an anonymous put down. This encourages only 'populist' posts and makes free thinkers think twice about contributing.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    I'm completely open to getting rid of "Facepalms" if that's what the community prefer.

The intention is not to have some kind of anonymous spite generator and if that's how people feel it's being used then I'll get rid of it, or create some kind of opt out.

My intention with the frets system as a whole was to get rid of the traditional forum focus on postcount where n00bs are looked down on because they haven't got 5000 posts to their name and instead to reward and thank people like yourself who contribute a great deal of knowledge to the site.
    It also allows you to do the traditional forum +1 without clagging up the thread and distracting from the conversation. 

The "facepalm" was intended to be a relatively light hearted way of letting people know that you felt their post was a bit daft without having to get into an argument with them about it. 

I don't honestly think it's going to discourage people from saying what they think as it's a pretty poor free thinker who is dissuaded.
    I should also add that the "who gave what for what" is tracked in the database so we could make it available if that was felt to be a better way of doing things. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10818
    tFB Trader
    I think telling people who face-palmed them will only make matters worse :) to my way of thinking ... if you think someone's post is 'a bit silly' then be creative and contribute to the debate. I personally probably post outside of 'making and modding' ... a fairly safe area ... while the 'face-palm' continues. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited August 2013
    Sporky said:
    There are limitations in the reputation system. I'd say the biggest one is that you can't easily determine which of your posts got what votes, but I think it's a good point that you can only apply one vote to any given post. One to put on the list.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking the other day. It'd be nice to be able to look up which of your posts got those, to massage my ego just to see. No massive problem if you can't, of course.

^^ Yeah I suppose the problem with facepalms is the anonymity, but as TGW says, telling you who did it could make it even worse. Though telling you which of your posts were affected (hopefully) shouldn't cause the same problem.

I've never even thought of using the new LOL/Wow/Wisdom/Facepalm thing, it's way too fancy for me :))
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2942
    edited August 2013
    I tend to read other peoples experience and gain from their knowledge and post relatively sporadically.  I think on the "forum that cannot be named" I had a post count of around 600 during a 6 or 7 year membership.  On another non-guitar forum that i have been a member of for 8 years and visit a couple of times per week, my post count is 6, and i have been referred to as a noob by some knob who had a post count of several thousand but had only joined the group 8 months earlier.

Post counts are a poor indicator of a persons commitment to a community but are often look at by other members as some form of benchmark.   I applaud the introduction of a new way of doing things but can also see that the minus points nature of the facepalm could upset people.  I think i currently have 2, no idea why, don't really care, but if your the type to take it personally then perhaps that aspect should be removed.  We would not want to create an atmosphere where individuals felt they were subject to bullying via this system. 

What i would like to see added would be a thumbs up symbol for indicating where others agree with the post.  Agreeing with the sentiment is different from finding it funny, or gaining knowledge or awe from it.    I have a feeling that Facebook or another social network had a thumbs down for showing disagreement but it was removed due to abuse and perceived harassing behaviour.

As post counts are recorded but hidden in the machine somewhere it could be part of someones personal profile so only seen if a member goes to the effort of looking it up rather than being on constant display.

Anyway thats my tuppence.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28828
    As Mr Monq said, we've not set anything in stone so there's scope for adjusting the way the site operates, and all the feedback we get is taken into account. I don't think there's any one "right" answer as to how to run a site best so we're finding our way a bit. I definitely wanted (and still want) to try things that are different from a bog standard forum, and I imagine some will work better than others.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    "LOL", "Thumb Up", "Wow", "Good Trade/Bad Trade" (the latter only in the Classifieds?)?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7593
    Oh I mentioned it in the  in the temp forum but getting hover text of the thread content would be super awesome.
    Ditto. <reads on> - looks like a good idea - just to confirm though I also see no hover-preview-thingy (on Chrome) 

My more general feedback is that I think this forum is very good. Sterling work chaps - and it's good that you're interested in trying things out and I completely understand what you mean Sporky about some might work better than others - trial away. 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited August 2013
    having a thumbs up/+1 type of button would be cool. though that'd totally kill my overall post count :)) (I'm kidding, I'm actually embarrassed by how many posts I have here and elsewhere, for me it's not so much a badge of honour as a badge of shame :)) )

I know the way UG does the post counts thing is that it lists your join date beside every post, and then has your post count on your profile (so people have to go looking for it). Maybe that might be a way to do it.

Though really nomatter which way you do it is a fairly blunt instrument and is open to abuse. As thumpingrug correctly says, you can rack up a load of posts in a very short time if you make a concerted effort to do so, which doesn't really say much about how knowledgeable you are. Conversely going by date is also problematic because the most knowledgeable person in the real world about a subject might just have discovered the forum yesterday, and obviously that doesn't mean he/she is clueless. Or someone could have signed up 5 years ago and given up the guitar and only taken it back up again 2 weeks ago, again that doesn't mean that person is more knowledgeable than a newcomer who's been playing guitar and reading up on guitar for the past 10 years... :))

Just to clarify, just in case it looks like I'm complaining a lot, you guys have done awesome work. I'm just making suggestions that I think of (and thinking out loud a fair bit) in the off-chance that they might be a good idea.
    tFB Trader
    ddlooping said:
    "LOL", "Thumb Up", "Wow", "Good Trade/Bad Trade" (the latter only in the Classifieds?)?
    I'm planning to add a "Good trade" button, but I'll probably put it on people's profile and limit it to one vote per person rather than one vote per post.

• MickMick Frets: 98
    Any chance of making the Go Up / Go down buttons a bit bigger please? Also if possible separating them a bit more, and changing the colour so they stand out. ;)
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    ddlooping said:
      I'm planning to add a "Good trade" button, but I'll probably put it on people's profile and limit it to one vote per person rather than one vote per post.

Does it mean a "Good Trade" could only be left once to the same trader by a given member?
    If yes, what if two members had several trades between each other? :/
    If at all possible I'd think best to be able to leave one, and only one, "Good Trade" per classified discussion.
    P.S: maybe the discussion would have to be closed first (at the seller's request) before the "Good Trade" could be left.

tFB Trader
    ddlooping said:
    ddlooping said:

Does it mean a "Good Trade" could only be left once to the same trader by a given member?
    If yes, what if two members had several trades between each other? :/
    If at all possible I'd think best to be able to leave one, and only one, "Good Trade" per classified discussion.

My intention is that one member can only raise another's by one point. I can see why you might want multiple points for multiple trades, but doing it that way removes the opportunity to game the system.