Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

LOL's WOW's and Wisdoms

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
edited February 2018 in Off Topic
I know I'll probably be castigated/ridiculed but can I ask a few really (possibly) stupid questions?

I see references to people moaning about LoL's etc.

I always thought that you would award someone a 'Lol' because they'd said something genuinely humorous or funny. I am beginning to realise after all these four years that it's actually the opposite and that it's a mark of ridicule and shame?

I take it that frets = posts

That a wisdom = a wise answer

I also went onto my profile and see a number of badges and percentages. What do these mean?

Sorry for the newbie style post but I couldn't hold it in any longer...I yearn to know.

Can someone give me the run down once and for all?
11reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I LOL'd you but it wasn't disrespectful or being humorous.  It was me being a wanker.
    13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Lol could be genuine laughter or mocking laughter, that’s just how it goes.
    Frets = #lols + #wisdoms + #wows - #facepalms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    If your funny you get a lol
    If your not funny you can also get a lol
    But if your thick a fck you wont get a wis but! 
    you may very well get a Wow!.
    Either way you cant lose.
    What do points make?
    Worse case scenario you get ignored!! Feels like a Tumble weed right in the kipper, Ive had plenty of experience of that I can tell you. Infact ive probably just killed your thread. soz.......

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    Wolfetone said:

I take it that frets = posts

No, frets is the total of your Lols, Wows & Wisd's awarded by other people.

Posts is the number of posts you've made.

Lols are sort of dual purpose nowadays, being both positive (ie funny) and negative (ie stupid).  In the old days, there was a 4th fret type - facepalms.  Those were (as the name might suggest) intended to be the "stupid" indicator.  Facepalms had a negative impact on your fret count, so 3 lols + 4 wows + 20 facepalms would give you a score of -13 (+3+4-20).

But some people couldn't handle that, and we had to remove the facepalm fret-type, hence Lols now being  dual purpose.

Wolfetone said:

I also went onto my profile and see a number of badges and percentages. What do these mean?

The badges are pretty pointless tbh, created by the forum software to show how many frets you've been awarded.  Get 50 lols, get your 50-lol-badge, etc.

The %s just show the split of your fretcount by the % awarded to each fret-type.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    They do serve a further purpose. If you find yourself near the top of the weekly frets chart (and you're not a valued technical contributor) you really need to have a rethink about what you're doing with your life. 
    :)   
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Thanks for the explanation. I genuinely thought that Frets=posts.
  • Apparently, I'm more wise than funny. I'm in two minds about whether it should be the other way around.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    and I thought that @ICBM spent far too much time on the forum to get that post count....
  • p90fool said:
    They do serve a further purpose. If you find yourself near the top of the weekly frets chart (and you're not a valued technical contributor) you really need to have a rethink about what you're doing with your life. 
    Great. I like that perspective :). Have a genuine Wis.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Lols are often used to ridicule someone .. I get loads on the Brexit thread .. a badge of honour .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    I made it to the top of the charts once, after a tactical and deliberate assault on the forum to prove a point, but haven't darkened the doorway since. I feel ashamed and sickened by my actions and forum posts. I am a shallow idiot.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    p90fool said:
    I made it to the top of the charts once, after a tactical and deliberate assault on the forum to prove a point, but haven't darkened the doorway since. I feel ashamed and sickened by my actions and forum posts. I am a shallow idiot.
    And this ^^^ is called "fret-whoring".

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    p90fool said:
    You don't need to launch a deliberate assault on the forum. Nor do you need a high post count to top the chart. You just need to post something genuinely funny or wise...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got 20+ frets for a joke in TTonys Kestrel thread.....am I very proud of myself today. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    edited February 2018
    p90fool said:

You don't need to launch a deliberate assault on the forum. Nor do you need a high post count to top the chart. You just need to post something genuinely funny or wise...

Neither of those explain your frets..
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    m_c said:
    p90fool said:

Neither of those explain your frets..
    True. 

But they do explain yours.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlagg said:
    Drivel
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:
    Thanks for the explanation. I genuinely thought that Frets=posts.
    IIRC on musicradar* it showed your post count. 

* for anyone who doesn’t know ( in brief) MR ran a forum and closed it and refugees from there started this forum. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    People who use Lol to ridicule somebody's opinion are weasley,snipey twats ........if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all or post a contrary opinion of rational and explained reason
    Lol means laugh out loud... not snear behind your hand like a schoolkid.....perhaps if we had a SBYH it wouldn't get used very much.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Just go with the flow. LOLs or WIS’s are nothing to fret about anyway.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom