Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

LOL's WOW's and Wisdoms

What's Hot

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I believe Wisdoms were meant to be for insightful posts - when you hover over them, they still say "Click me if you learned something", but now it seems more like people use them for posts that they agree with. It's the closest thing to a "like" or an "up-vote" that we have on here, I guess.

Lols and Wows have dual meanings, although I doubt that is what was intended.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    I believe Wisdoms were meant to be for insightful posts - when you hover over them, they still say "Click me if you learned something", but now it seems more like people use them for posts that they agree with. It's the closest thing to a "like" or an "up-vote" that we have on here, I guess.

Lols and Wows have dual meanings, although I doubt that is what was intended.
    Liked
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably were I am going wrong.  I use LOL when I find something funny, Wow, when I am surprised and Wis when I find the comments interesting or insightful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably were I am going wrong.  I use LOL when I find something funny, Wow, when I am surprised and Wis when I find the comments interesting or insightful.
    That seems about right to me. 
    I think you're right. I wow a post that impresses me. I lol a post that I think is funny but also lol those that i think deserve to be laughed at (typically anti-Brexit threads). Wis is for something that I've learned, or I think is wise regardless of whether I've heard it before. Like a kind of "hear hear".
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We should rename them.
    “hear hear”
    ”oh yes sir”
    ”tut tut, not sure about that old boy”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    crunchman said:
    I've been here for years and post highly relevant and pertinent comments in all the appropriate places.  I still haven't crossed the magic 1000 points barrier, so yes they are totally useless and should be immediately scrapped.  Or at least reset every so often so we have a  chance to level the playing field.  
    Go and post in a Brexit thread.

The people who agree with you will give you lots of wisdoms, and those who disagree will give you lots of LOLs.

Alternatively, there seems to be a vacancy for a flat earth proponent these days. :)
    Or start a thread (or post anywhere) telling us what you really think of Gibson guitars.
  • http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69719/suggs-sang-with-my-band-on-sunday-night/p1

This was a 50 wower. Highest points for a single post I can remember. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    I wish we had a 'Twat' fret.  We're all adults here.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Yer,.. but on occasion we have sort of shown we aren't. 

• All I know is that we need "wisdom" button as we have ICBM on here.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Wiz Lol
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    TTony said:
    p90fool said:
    They do serve a further purpose. If you find yourself near the top of the weekly frets chart (and you're not a valued technical contributor) you really need to have a rethink about what you're doing with your life. 
    :)   
    I made it to the top of the charts once, after a tactical and deliberate assault on the forum to prove a point, but haven't darkened the doorway since. I feel ashamed and sickened by my actions and forum posts. I am a shallow idiot.
    And this ^^^ is called "fret-whoring".

more a demonstration of how silly this frets system really is. I vote turn them off and replace with a member since date.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shefguitarshefguitar Frets: 206
    It does seem odd that people get rewarded with frets for making stupid or controversial comments.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    As the person who implemented the feature I consider it a big mistake.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Probably were I am going wrong.  I use LOL when I find something funny, Wow, when I am surprised and Wis when I find the comments interesting or insightful.
    That's what I thought

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    I've been here for years and post highly relevant and pertinent comments in all the appropriate places.  I still haven't crossed the magic 1000 points barrier, so yes they are totally useless and should be immediately scrapped.  Or at least reset every so often so we have a  chance to level the playing field.  
    I’m your 1000th. You’re welcome.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    poopot said:
    Balls!... I thought LOL meant “lots of love”... have to rethink my forum decorum!!!!

My mum spent about a week in hospital a couple of years ago and was treated very well by the staff. When I brought her home she asked if I'd take some sweets (a shed-load of Haribo) and a card up to the hospital as a way of thanks. I read the card just before she sealed it and it said "...and thanks for taking such good care of me LOL" I immediately questioned it and she said "yeah, little old lady!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69719/suggs-sang-with-my-band-on-sunday-night/p1

I got 54 Wows on the first post of this one.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64223/my-wife-is-amazing-ngd/p1

Unfortunately the picture is on photobucket.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    crunchman said:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/69719/suggs-sang-with-my-band-on-sunday-night/p1

I got 54 Wows on the first post of this one.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/64223/my-wife-is-amazing-ngd/p1

Unfortunately the picture is on photobucket.

54 wows for something! 

Record so far though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.