What Football Team Do You Support?

What's Hot

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    crunchman said:
    timmysoft said:

Even at non league level, i still frequently pay £18-23 to watch matches, Dagenham on Saturday is £21 on the Turnstiles and their roof leaks like a twat!

The final straw for me was when Exeter were in the Conference.  Can't remember exactly when but it was at least 10 years ago as Exeter were in the Conference.  I paid £14 to watch a mid-week game a Aldershot.  What it is now I don't know, but I'm not paying that kind of money to watch a non-league match.

I just found an article on ticket price inflation.  You could get into Arsenal for £9 in 1990.  Adjusting for inflation £9 in 1990 is worth £14.30 now.  You can't even get into a League 2 game for that.

Plus you have to walk for miles to the away end at aldershot, up that hill, through that park, its bullshit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    crunchman said:
    timmysoft said:

Even at non league level, i still frequently pay £18-23 to watch matches, Dagenham on Saturday is £21 on the Turnstiles and their roof leaks like a twat!

The final straw for me was when Exeter were in the Conference.  Can't remember exactly when but it was at least 10 years ago as Exeter were in the Conference.  I paid £14 to watch a mid-week game a Aldershot.  What it is now I don't know, but I'm not paying that kind of money to watch a non-league match.

I just found an article on ticket price inflation.  You could get into Arsenal for £9 in 1990.  Adjusting for inflation £9 in 1990 is worth £14.30 now.  You can't even get into a League 2 game for that.

It's more like 20 quid, iirc, but that would still be too much to see Arsenal.  

I'm nominally a Norwich supported. It's a rollercoaster...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited March 2018
    I was born in Liverpool and grew up a mile away from Anfield (1/2 mile from Goodison Park).  My dad and grandparents were season ticket holders in the 70s - 80s and I went to about half the home matches from the ages 10-17 - early on with my dad and grandad and later I'd go with mates in the Kop.  Everyone in both sides of my family are Liverpool supporters.  I also had to walk home from school past Everton's training ground and Bill Shankly's old house,  and could bore people about seeing footballers on the way home, trips to Melwood training ground and living next to a Liverpool player as a teenager. :)

My dad would also take me to  watch grass roots matches (pub teams) in local parks on Sundays and he still follows them now.

I moved to London aged 18 and although I live near The Hive, it only counts for me if I walk to/from a match, so I've only been (walked) to a handful of matches in 30 years.  Three were matches at old Wembley and a few others were Barnet games.  Since leaving Liverpool, I listen to games on the radio and won't pay for Sky (Murdoch/The Sun) and only watch free-to-air matches on that principal.  Although if I retired to Wirral, I'd then contradict what I said above by going to Anfield by public transport.

Although I have an Italian wife and four brothers who live in England, Wales, Spain and USA, I still consider myself a scouser and Liverpool supporter, who only lives in London because that's where my work is.

P.S. @Timmysoft one of the Wembley cup finals I went to was the 2000 Worthington Cup (Tranmere v Leicester), because my brother was mates with Tranmere striker Andy Parkinson.  I also live a couple of miles from Borehamwood (the place) where Boreham Wood (the football team) is and despite Googling it, have no idea why they're spelt differently!
    crunchman said:
    timmysoft said:

I went a bit when i used to live 3 minutes away from Carrow Road, i have a lot of friends who are Canaries! I think next season, once your new leader has his own players, you'll be title contenders!
    I was born in Liverpool and grew up a mile away from Anfield (1/2 mile from Goodison Park).  My dad and grandparents were season ticket holders in the 70s - 80s and I went to about half the home matches from the ages 10-17 - early on with my dad and grandad and later I'd go with mates in the Kop.  Everyone in both sides of my family are Liverpool supporters.  I also had to walk home from school past Everton's training ground and Bill Shankly's old house,  and could bore people about seeing footballers on the way home, my school going to Melwood training ground with my dad and living next to a Liverpool player as a teenager.

My dad would also take me to  watch grass roots matches (pub teams) in local parks on Sundays and he still follows them now.

I moved to London aged 18 and although I live near The Hive, it only counts for me if I walk to/from a match, so I've only been (walked) to a handful of matches in 30 years.  Three were matches at old Wembley and a few others were Barnet games.  Since leaving Liverpool, I listen to games on the radio and won't pay for Sky (Murdoch/The Sun) and only watch free-to-air matches on that principal.  Although if I retired to Wirral, I'd then contradict what I said above by going to Anfield by public transport. :)

Although I have an Italian wife and four brothers who live in England, Wales, Spain and USA, I still consider myself a scouser and Liverpool supporter, who only lives in London because that's where my work is.

P.S. @Timmysoft one of the Wembley cup finals I went to was the 2000 Worthington Cup (Tranmere v Leicester), because my brother was mates with Tranmere striker Andy Parkinson.  I also live a couple of miles from Borehamwood (the place) where Boreham Wood (the football team) is and despite Googling it, have no idea why they're spelt differently!
    If only Rovers had won that final!

Rovers are at Borehamwood next Saturday, pop along if you'd like to hear people speaking in your native tongue!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    edited March 2018
    Supported Man United since 1990 (FA Cup Final at Wembley was the first ever live game I went to - I told everybody there that whoever won I would support - lucky me eh). I'm also one of those scum sucking lower than dirt pieces of human fucking shit arseholes that followed* United but live in the south. Last went to OT in...2005?

*Yes, notice how I said 'followed'. I guess I still do in a way, but my love for football has sadly almost completely diminished. I can barely stand to watch a game with all the fucking about, the play acting/diving, the gesticulating, the abhorrent personalities, the obscene money, and generally the whole game being seen as a fucking business venture rather than a sport....it's fucking appalling.

I miss 90s football so much.

Will probably still watch a bit of the World Cup this year though.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Another Everton supporter. Liverpool is my #2 team and I keep an eye on the results of Scunthorpe United.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW, went for a bring-your-own-booze curry after the Guitar Show last month. Afterwards, most went to the hotel bar, but I sloped off to my room to finish my booze and watch MOTD in bed. Fucking heaven! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Rocker said:
    Another Everton supporter. Liverpool is my #2 team and I keep an eye on the results of Scunthorpe United.
    For subliminal reasons?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9772
    I'm a West From fan so prefer not to talk about football at the nonevent. However @timmysoft Tranmere Rovers will always be known to me as the club where my hero at the time (teenage football fan) came from, the incredibly talented but lazy as fffff Jason Koumas. Happier footballing times for sure!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    Derby County. We are currently slipping down the table at an alarming rate (as is usual for this point of the season). I used to go to lots of games but rarely these days. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited March 2018
    joeyowen said:

For me, Manchester United.  Very difficult to attend games nowadays due to kids and work.  Also refuse to pay £55 for a slightly different shirt each season.  So, not sure I qualify.  Watch every game without fail from home! Try and catch reverse matches when I can too (often more entertaining ha)
    #Metoo. Although I really like this seasons black shirt. I did go to buy one as an impulse, but they had nothing in my size.. I used to have the 90's SHARP VIEWCAM shirt which was great too, but it got lost somewhere (my parents I think).

Working in London and sounding like a foreigner, I did enjoy a Chelsea fan sarcastically saying once "from up that way are you?", despite the fact he doesn't live in Chelsea. I enjoyed saying, "yes I am actually."
  • Spurs.. gutted after last night but after decades of shite managers and inconsistent performances I can't grumble about the current state of play.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I'm a West From fan so prefer not to talk about football at the nonevent. However @timmysoft Tranmere Rovers will always be known to me as the club where my hero at the time (teenage football fan) came from, the incredibly talented but lazy as fffff Jason Koumas. Happier footballing times for sure!
    Koumas will always be a legend, he was indeed quite lazy at times but he was a superb passer of the ball and read the game incredibly quickly. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    crunchman said:
    timmysoft said:

According to this it's £14.30:

https://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html#calculator

According to this it is just under £20:

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1990-GBP-in-2018?amount=9

Not sure which is correct.  Either way it still costs more to get into a League 2 match than it cost to get into a top flight game in 1990.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    My oldest son plays for an eastern counties league team so indirectly I support him/them on occasion. Other than that I have no interest in the game whatsoever.

• Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Sheffield Wednesday for 40 years....used to be a season ticket holder in my teens/twenties. Now I just admire/despise from afar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Chelsea - I was born there
    AFC Wimbledon - I started life there
    Aldershot Town - the nearest higher div team to the area and my mate likes them so....

Saturdays I am a bag of nerves tracking this disparate bunch!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    West Ham, an affliction I've inherited from my dad, which has probably taken 10 years from my lifespan. Season ticket holders for about 14 years I think, sometimes buy the shirt.

Love the connection with the civilised and decent fans, but sadly recent weeks have shown a) just how badly run the club is and b) how odious some of the "supporters" really are.