Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Working for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    I'm liking 17.04..
    given that I'm building my new suite of presets I'm just hoping that 18 don't undo all that work too much.. lmao
    play every note as if it were your first
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    edited January 2015
    This guy has summarised all the G3 stiff from the fractal forum. It contains a marshall sound clip too. The clip sounds good. Worth a read..

http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/01/firmware-18-and-g3-modeling-technology-what-we-know-so-far/
    I hope G3 FW18 will be ready in time for the guitar show..
  • So are people keeping up with all the fw 18 developments?

Minimum Phase IRs

[user: Clark Kent, Maker of Cab pack 7, 8, 9]

"I guess I can now officially announce the next step in IR evolution that will be featured in Cab Pack 8. This will be a bit geeky but bare with me. First I must say that this is not something I came up with but our almighty true God Cliff himself is the mastermind behind this. For me to explain what the new feature actually is I need to make sure everyone understands what MPT (minimum phase transformation) means. It's being used for just about every IR the majority of people have ever played just like every stock IR in the Axe-Fx. MPT aligns all IRs in perfect phase with each other which enables you to mix all IRs together without phase problems. However knowing that there will soon be a tool for everyone to tweak IRs easier we've decided to also add non-MPT'd IRs in Cab Pack 8. (in addition to "regular" MPTd IRs) So the question remains: "What is wrong with MPT?" Well, using MPT changes the transient of the IR. It's something that definitely affects that snap and picking dynamics which also happens to be what FW18 is improving.

For lazy readers: Cab Pack 8 will give you a more authentic attack than any Cab Pack preceding it."

"1st clip is the MPT'd IR. 2nd clip is the non-MPT'd IR. 3rd clips is the phase reverse of the two on top of each other. This shows "what the difference is". But sure when the EQ curve is identical it can be a bit difficult to tell them apart if you don't know what the difference is. Well you can start by looking at the waveform. To me it's more evident when playing with the IRs. The MPT'd IR is more direct and all the transient feel instant and simultaneous frequency wise. Hard to describe. The non-MPT'd IR feels a bit smoother and smeared but snappy in a more authentic way."
  • It's going to be weeks, as cliff stated quite early. It will arrive when it arrives, g3 modelling and all.
  • True it'll be a while til it is out yet. 

I figured it would be useful to post up links for the people who read posts here but not at the FAS forum.
  • FW 18 beta is out.

Release notes.

18.00 Public Beta 

This firmware incorporates all-new amp modeling algorithms. With this update the Axe-Fx II now incorporates our “G3 Amp Modeling Technology”. G3 modeling improves upon G2 modeling with better touch sensitivity, better dynamics, better distortion texture (or “grain”) with less fizz, more crunch and improved frequency response accuracy. 

Not all amp models have been fully converted to take advantage of G3 modeling as of this beta. Those that have been fully ported are indicated by “(G3)” after the model name on the Pre page of the Amp block. Those that have not been fully ported yet will still benefit from the improved algorithms. 

The Rotary block has been completely revised. It is recommended to reset the block in any existing presets by double-clicking the Bypass button to load the default values. Also, the Rotary block now supports X/Y which simplifies slow/fast switching. 

This beta version does not fully support Axe-Edit so front panel editing is recommended. 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    That's a surprise. New releases normally come out on Friday evening.  Well, that my Tuesday spoken for then. I've been looking forward to getting my hands on FW18
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • And no news on the fx8 yet? :(
    I'm on fw18b

it's absolutely fkn mega…

holy fkn sht... it's just mental
  • Ok, @Clarky, calm down. Is it really 'changing your religion' type stuff?
    Boys I think you all need to get out more
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    the 5153 is just awesome..
  • AndyJP;523970" said:
    Nope.
    AndyJP;523970" said:
    Nope.

No wonder Pete Thorn can't be arsed with us.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

JCM800

set it up so it's cooking -  the input drive high [7 or higher], MV mid [4 to 6]

fatten it [amp: eq page: 500Hz small cut, small boost to the bands below 500]

fry it: switch on the amp: boost switch

it's simply wonderful..

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    AndyJP said:
    Tick.  Downloaded FW18 after breakfast.  Had a quick play.  Thought "This is a major change, and needs some serious investigation". So I've been out, and had a five mile walk.  Now I'm ready to play.
    AndyJP said:
    No wonder Pete Thorn can't be arsed with us.
    I think that Pete has more important things to do, like making a living, than hanging on a forum.  However I haven't
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clarky;524386" said:
    JCM800set it up so it's cooking -  the input drive high [7 or higher], MV mid [4 to 6]fatten it [amp: eq page: 500Hz small cut, small boost to the bands below 500]fry it: switch on the amp: boost switchit's simply wonderful..
    Apparently boost switch is the same as input trim on 4. I think boost can be switched by CC though which might be a bonus for some people.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm still at work and I'm excited about this. I really am looking forward to getting hom and reving the tets out of my cab.