Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Just a quick question, how long do Fractal take to develop each generation of the AFX? Just wondering roughly when an AFX III may be expected to be due. I'll probably grab one then :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    The word about an AFX III is that it's several years away, and won't happen until a new chip is developed. I'm sure there is a bigger market in the FX8 and AX8.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Ha - a question often asked.  the original AFX to the AFX2 (the Ultra just allowed more instances due to being slightly faster) took 6 years.  The Ultra coming 2 years into that.

The AFX2 is 3 years old, and the XL less than a year.

It took Cliff 2 years to develop the AFX2 once he started - he hasnt started even designing the box for a 3 yet (working on FW and the floor units).

The AFX2 uses two processors that are the same as the one in the original - but where as the original used the one processor for everything, the AFX2 uses one for Amp sims (and I think cabs but not sure) and the other for FX and housekeeping.  Until there is another DSP on the market faster/better than the current one, there isnt a way really to make a better AFX3 (for its core purpose).

There is still p[rocessing power available in the AFX2 to improve the current amp modeling  - so there no great push to find a way to make a bigger/better unit at present.

There will eventually be an AFX3 Im sure. Tech does move on and the current Tigersharcs are getting on for 10 years old.  However, from whats been said - and from development time its going to be at LEAST 2-3 years away at a guess.

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    edited February 2015
    The new unit sounds great. There's going to have to be some sort of major catch with It tho. Or they won't flog any non floor based axefx. To me 1 amp at a time isn't a big issue. 

Or...maybe there is an axe iii in the rafters... Cliff has successfully kept everything else under wraps so why not the axe iii? Ooh.. controversial.
  • But releasing an Axe 3 would instantly make the FX8 and AX8 'old tech', and they're not even out yet. Also the XL is pretty fresh still.

I'd consider an imminent Axe FX 3 a poor business decision.
    edited February 2015
    But ax8 and fx8 are gonna be much cheaper aren't they?  

I just don't get why someone would buy and axefx and mfc over the ax8. Unless there's a big gotcha. 1 amp surely isn't the gotcha?
  • It can't do all the FX, so far only noticed no vocoder (no loss to me!). The MFC is very flexible, @Clarky is the man to chat to about that one, but my understanding is you can do more switching stuff with it but I don't own one.
    Yeah. Didn't even realise it had a vocoder lol :)
    edited February 2015
    I guess if the processors are less powerful your patches will need to be simpler...
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Fair enough, I'm not gonna be thinking about one until I can at least attempt to justify it. So it may be something to get while at university in a couple years time. Hence holding out for the AFX III :)
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited February 2015
    My patch is volume pedal -> Drive -> reverb -> amp 1 (drive) / amp 2 (clean) -> EQ (solo EQ) -> delay 1 -> delay 2. Being honest, the only reason I need 2 amps is a clean clean at higher volume in some sections (I usually use rolled back volume pedal for dynamics). If I set up another EQ post amp to compensate for volume drop as I reduced the volume pedal to get a cleaner sound I'd only ever need one amp I think. Also I only need one delay type per song, just having both keeps me on the same patch all the time. So ironically, depending on total CPU capability it might work well for me.
  • Sounds good, if it gets world leading modelling to more people (such as me). One amp at a time doesn't matter, if that amp model sounds amazing.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited February 2015
    The indication is its a much less capable device (routing, FX count, instances of FX, number of amp blocks ewtc) - BUT with the same modelling tech as the full blown rig and obviously the floor control built in (again though much less configurable and less switches).  Price wise - its apparently going to be at a steal of a price.

What that means ????? I believe (though dont quote me) hes aiming for the $1k (or just sub $1k) market.  Thats about 1/3 the price of the full blown AFX plus an MFC - though still about 3 x the price of a Line 6 POD HD floorboard.  For many many players who cant afford the full fat product - but dont need all the editability, flexibility etc of the full AFX - this is going to be a no brainer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    AX8 looks really cool.

FX8 is on my shopping list.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    the AX8 looks interesting.. 
    however not being able to do two amps means you have to change preset
    that'll mean you'll have to rely on 'spillover' - which has it's limitations
    or, X-Y switching, which has a small lag and dropout
    that'll bother some people

play every note as if it were your first
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    Yes, I sometimes switch between rhythm and solo on the beat, and have found two amps in the same patch very useful
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I reverse an amp just for my soloing tone so I can get to it seamlessly from any other scene
    edited February 2015
  • @Clarky, I don't know if I prefer your blue or your purple guitar.
    @Clarky, I don't know if I prefer your blue or your purple guitar.
    haaa.. awesome.. it freaks out the photographers at gigs [until they figure it out].. lmao