Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited June 2015
    I haven't tried it up loud in ages, just been sticking to 6160 block. Maybe I'll try it for fun at some point soon. I still haven't had chance to update to 19, hopefully tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Chris, if you play in stereo, try the Herbert ch3 to the left and the 5153Red to the right..
    it'll start wars... and finish em.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • But, @Clarky, you know I play in stereo. I have my 1960B in stereo to get a bit of goodness going with the delay thang.
  • And ting.

in that case... you totally need some Diezelly goodness with the 5153Red...

you need to get the other guitarist's apple cart.. and give it a good solid upsetting... lmao

• octatonic said:
    It all depends on what the musical needs are- a lot of guys who bought AFX's massively underused the feature set.
    If you just need a single amp with a bit of delay and reverb then there are solutions that do that with less hassle than the AFX.

That's kinda the camp I'm in at the moment, although I do like throwing out a few weird sounds out there.  I also change my fave amps, and tweak 'em, which may be a saving.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3373
    Look at this thing...
    I need bigger feet!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited June 2015
    You'd need to move the position of your foot to go from toe-down to heel-down....
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Looks like a skateboard.
    Great. I love big pedals. My real volume pedal is the DVP3 and it is probably that big or bigger. Right now just using an FCB as don't have the budget for a separate switcher and expression pedals.
    similar in size to the Boss FV-500 maybe?
    I managed to get a couple of minutes on 19.  Felt like a nicer sound boosting the Recto with either TS or SD1 models, I'm not sure if the Rat output is lower though?  Not sure, only tried throwing it on to a home clean patch.  It won't matter for a while anyway as we've just finished tracking drums so for the foreseeable future I'm purely tracking guitars and vocals.  We'll probably be on 20 by the point it will matter!  Have kept backups of my patches every time I change FW so no big deal really.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I thought I'd ask here and it's more likely someone has experience.. how do the Mackie HD 1221 and Atomic CLR compare? which is best? any why?

So there's a 'Fractal Plugins' sub forum now on the FAS forum. As usual Cliff not really being clear on what is going down but might be something new?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fractal-software/plug-ins/
  • Please may I have poll peoples' experience on an issue?

I'm in a covers band and I'm using a couple fairly core sounds, ie Bassman for clean and 5153 Red for everything else . I have the scenes set so that for lead the AF2 kicks in a distortion to juice up the preamp and a PEQ filter (for lead boost after the amp block) into a delay. I turn to tapped coils for a more AC/DC type sound.

Is this something that you guys generally use? I ask because, IIRC, @Octatonic and @Clarky have both advised against flipping between lots of amp Sims due to it goosing around with levels too much.
    edited July 2015
    I'm not sure I understand your patch fully. You're using two amp sims - one clean one drive, and for leads you add boost and PEQ? Or do you use more than just those two listed?

Seems normal. I have clean (CA3+) and drive (6505) and for leads I add PEQ after the amp for slight level boost and tiny bit of EQ change. I use a rat sim into the clean amp for mid gain. That is all I use tone wise, everything else is delays for me, and I use a volume pedal a fair bit. I no longer use boosts before the amps as I'm using EMGs these days and finding them plenty tight already.
    I think that warning holds extra weight for people who go DI. Changing IR can be drastic, IIRC you use a 4x12 though so you should have more leeway. Personally I'd still stick to one clean, a drive pedal for mid gain, and a high gain amp to get the three levels of gain most people need, if you need the fourth then get it by boosting the higher gained amp. 2 amps 2 drive pedals for 4 optimum levels of gain should be enough most of the time IMO.
    I also saw Cliff posting about 19.01 coming next week. He's been buying amps recently, he got a JMP1 and a Fender 1964 vibroverb so they may be G3'd by then. Hopefully more drive pedals will be updated too.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33990
    So there's a 'Fractal Plugins' sub forum now on the FAS forum. As usual Cliff not really being clear on what is going down but might be something new?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fractal-software/plug-ins/
    I reckon there would have to be some sort of hardware unlock device.
    Maybe the AFX or FX8 itself.
    Maybe a UAD style something.
    Maybe the UAD itself.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33990
    Please may I have poll peoples' experience on an issue?

I'm in a covers band and I'm using a couple fairly core sounds, ie Bassman for clean and 5153 Red for everything else . I have the scenes set so that for lead the AF2 kicks in a distortion to juice up the preamp and a PEQ filter (for lead boost after the amp block) into a delay. I turn to tapped coils for a more AC/DC type sound.

Is this something that you guys generally use? I ask because, IIRC, @Octatonic and @Clarky have both advised against flipping between lots of amp Sims due to it goosing around with levels too much.
    My advice stands mate.
    To be accurate it is because different EQ curves of different amps will give the impression of some amps being louder than something else.

At bedroom/rehearsal levels it will sound balanced, then you get to the gig and everything is off.
    It is much easier to balance if you only have a couple of amp models.

I have 3 amp models (clean, crunch, high gain) that I use for 99% of stuff- what you have above doesn't sound excessive.
    What I was cautioning against was using 5 different types of high gain amp, or 5 different cleans- it would be a nightmare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom