What's your rig worth?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    Had to have a bit of a guess at some of my stuff (self builds, couple of pedals you can't find new any more) for "new" replacement value but I think my gig rig is around £2,000 but that only includes 2 of my guitars and one amp.  If you include my share of the PA then there's another £500-ish on top.

Add in all the other gear I've got at home and it's at least double that.  Actually my most valuable instrument isn't a guitar but a saxophone - it's a rental but I think it's up to me to insure it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Money has always got in the way of me having more guitars and amps.
    However I have still had approx 100 guitars and possibly 30-40 amps over a 35 year period.

At present time I have 3 electrics I lap steel I acoustic and I amp. Plus one multi FX unit. 
    What can I get away with ? My esquire I amp and an OD pedal.
    Never gonna happen though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16439
    So I explained the majority of guitarists who knows what's what, would not steal from another musician...

:-?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Over £7k if I take my 335 and LP, under £5k if I leave the 335 and bring the tele. Paid absolutely no where near that much for all of it mind.

I think the only items I've bought new are a polytune and the telecaster, the 335 was a gift and everything else was bought/traded secondhand so it doesn't seem like much.

It's all insured and brings me a lot of enjoyment so it's worth it to me. I do tend to leave the 335 at home a bit more now as it really is priceless to me and since getting my tele back I have an alternative giggable guitar plus backup.

Pretty sure I'd sound just as bad on a £300 guitar or a £30k one though! :D

• RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    £2k for the Axe-FX, Matrix monitor, FCB1010, and stands, all of which were bought second hand.  This is a lot less money, size and weight, than when I used amps and pedals.  The guitars are in the region of £1,500 each.

And there lies the true cost of the amateur guitarist.  £5k worth of gear; and net profit from Saturday's gig, after strings, mileage, refreshment, and band expenses was a personal loss of £25.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • But @Roland, at least you are doing something you love, with a lot less weighty gear.  That'll be come more important when you get passed 40. ;)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Now go and count all of the wifey's shoes and feel better about yourselves ;)
  • I now feel worse because I know I have more shoes than my g/f too.  Damn you sports hobbies! 

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Bass: £150 (at endorsee prices ;) )

Amp/cabs: £500-ish (based on current going rate on eBay)

Pedals: £70-ish (only a tuner and an overdrive)

Wireless unit, cables etc: £100, maybe.

£820 :o that's quite a lot more than I thought I had tied up in gigging gear, and doesn't even include what I've got at home for my own enjoyment...

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited March 2014
    Roland said:
    £2k for the Axe-FX, Matrix monitor, FCB1010, and stands, all of which were bought second hand.  This is a lot less money, size and weight, than when I used amps and pedals.  The guitars are in the region of £1,500 each.

And there lies the true cost of the amateur guitarist.  £5k worth of gear; and net profit from Saturday's gig, after strings, mileage, refreshment, and band expenses was a personal loss of £25.
    ...what you mean is   - you had a banging night out FOR ONLY £25!

(met my old school mate for 2 pints and two packets of crsips in week for a 2 hour chat about his sodding garden(!) and it cost me £9 bloody 50 - so think yourself lucky!)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Talking about not advertising you gear to nik. I used to have a 'big briefcase' type case for my live microphone collection. That alone was worth well over a grand and all to easy to 'lift'. That was the most watched tatty briefcase in the building.

57Deluxe said:
    ...what you mean is   - you had a banging night out FOR ONLY £25!
    There are times when I've looked across and thought "I'd pay money to see this band"
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    christ what a question.................... um................

Amps                   - £1500
    Pedals  and shit    -- £400
    Acoustics            -  £3500
    Electrics  -             £4000
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    ESBlonde said:
    Talking about not advertising you gear to nik. I used to have a 'big briefcase' type case for my live microphone collection. That alone was worth well over a grand and all to easy to 'lift'. That was the most watched tatty briefcase in the building.

Before I downsized my pedal board was enormous. A passer-by tried to steal it whilst we were loading up after a gig. It was one of those Tom and Jerry moments when his legs kept walking, his arm stretched behind him, and the case stayed on the pavement.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    This is a bad game.

At new shop prices, about £4,000 for the 4 electrics, £1,500 for the 2 acoustics, £1,800 for the amp, and £1,200 for the pedalboard. 

I don't feel any better for writing it down.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    Roland said:

Before I downsized my pedal board was enormous. A passer-by tried to steal it whilst we were loading up after a gig. It was one of those Tom and Jerry moments when his legs kept walking, his arm stretched behind him, and the case stayed on the pavement.
    I like heavy pedalboards...

Some chav tried to nick my Fuzz Factory off my board at a gig when I was over at the amp setting stuff. But it was bolted down - I don't like velcro - so he found himself trying to lift the whole 40lb+ board and had to drop it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kelv_wkelv_w Frets: 260
    feeling guilty now since I've got 2 collectors choice Gibson and too many marshall amps
  • ICBM;200616" said:
    [quote=Roland]
    I like heavy pedalboards...

Some chav tried to nick my Fuzz Factory off my board at a gig when I was over at the amp setting stuff. But it was bolted down - I don't like velcro - so he found himself trying to lift the whole 40lb+ board and had to drop it :).

[/quote]

I know one band that sets up a webcam attached to the board. They've had one bloke nicked and fined for stealing a pedal.

Oddly, it was a boss sd-1...

Amazing how scummy some folks are. If I gig, I'm also going to screw the things to a piece of wood :p
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    edited April 2014
    I had a Tele nicked from a stage at the end of a gig in North London - I went to the bar and caught sight of the guy running out the pub with the guitar (taken off a stand). I gave chase, but when he rounded a corner and I found him standing there were a large group of 'mates' I decided discretion was the better part of valor.... I didn't fancy getting stabbed for a guitar. So that was the end of my 1968 Black Telecaster... :x
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.