WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2018
    not sure why the worlds greatest tournament has to tolerate such bad officials - would be like timing a 100 metre race in the Olympics with a sun dial
    Or looking for the winner from about 10m behind the finish line...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    not sure why the worlds greatest tournament has to tolerate such bad officials - would be like timing a 100 metre race in the Olympics with a sun dial
    FIFA's self-perpetuating politics. It's why the tournament will be expanded to 48 teams next time along. Get the countries who could never qualify under existing rules in on the act and get their votes to keep yourself in power. Let the referees from these countries officiate and you'll get their votes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5030
    The VAR was not implemented correctly in the Portugal -v- Iran game tonight.

Ronaldo - should have been Red or no card.  How the ref issued a Yellow is anyones guess (see below).

The Iran penalty was ball to hand and should not have been given.

An earlier penalty appeal by Iran ought to have been checked on the VAR.

As regards the working of the VAR system, the team captains or manager should be the only ones who can suggest the ref check with VAR.  It is a nonsense that every player gathers around the ref demanding action.  Bit like Chelsea or Man Utd surrounding the ref during games.

Opinion/Conspiracy Theory (Speculation): Ronaldo is a key player not just to Portugal but to the tournament itself.  A Red card would have ruled him out of a number of future games.  I can't help thinking that 'forces' are 'persuading' referees to be lenient with some players like Ronaldo and not with others.  I have no proof of this of course but I can't help thinking it.  Especially after watching the Portugal -v- Iran game.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14810
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:

Opinion/Conspiracy Theory (Speculation): Ronaldo is a key player not just to Portugal but to the tournament itself.  A Red card would have ruled him out of a number of future games.  I can't help thinking that 'forces' are 'persuading' referees to be lenient with some players like Ronaldo and not with others.  I have no proof of this of course but I can't help thinking it.  Especially after watching the Portugal -v- Iran game.
    a bit similar to the 'hand of god' incident - We have to accept that on the day the ref got it wrong - But after the appropriate committee should have looked at video evidence, realised Maradona had deliberately cheated and got away with it - As such he should have been immediately suspended for at least 1 match, maybe the tournament for bringing the game in to disrepute - They obviously don't have the bottle
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    There is no way that should have been a red card for Ronaldo. Yes there was contact, but it wasn't an elbow to the face, it was pushing past the player with a bit of frustration. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    Looking at some of the ‘injuries’ in the World Cup, I can only assume the players have to have a general anaesthetic when they get their sleeve tatts....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited June 2018
    I think the idea of VAR is a good one and it has potential to be really positive in the future. However, the current application of it is a farce. I think the main problem is the dullards that are tasked with using it
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31966
    Rocker said:
    The VAR was not implemented correctly in the Portugal -v- Iran game tonight.

Ronaldo - should have been Red or no card.  How the ref issued a Yellow is anyones guess (see below).

The Iran penalty was ball to hand and should not have been given.

An earlier penalty appeal by Iran ought to have been checked on the VAR.

As regards the working of the VAR system, the team captains or manager should be the only ones who can suggest the ref check with VAR.  It is a nonsense that every player gathers around the ref demanding action.  Bit like Chelsea or Man Utd surrounding the ref during games.

Ronaldo was one of the cleanest players on the pitch last night. 

There were around a dozen instances of players hurling themselves to the floor clutching their faces, screaming, with no obvious reason why. 

It's cheating, they can check on VAR and stamp it out easily, but for reasons only known to FIFA it'll never happen. 

Aside from the ref though I think the award for last night's worst performance has to go to Mark Lawrenson. I have no idea what game he was watching but it wasn't the same one as me. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    VAR: what is it good for?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    JerkMoans said:
    VAR: what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12587
    quarky said:
    There is no way that should have been a red card for Ronaldo. Yes there was contact, but it wasn't an elbow to the face, it was pushing past the player with a bit of frustration. 
    I don't particularly agree it should have been a ref card but by the laws of the game he made contact with a players face to get past him and was technically a red card.  Same as Beckham in 98 was by no means worthy of a red card but of you behave like that you can't complain when you see red.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    quarky said:

This.

Much as I dislike Ronaldo, that wasn't a red card.  The Iranian player should have got a yellow for simulation.  As far as I could see there was no contact with his face - it looked like Ronaldo caught his shoulder, yet the way he went down clutching his face was ridiculous.  For that level of rolling around on the floor he should have looked like Mike Gatting after the late great Malcolm Marshall had finished with him.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    edited June 2018
    I don't think they have got the use of VAR right, it should be used to check a goals validity, double check penalty decisions and look for off the ball incidents that warrant a card, anything that is not clear from TV feed available should be ref's call. Ice Hockey would be a good model to follow.

At the moment it's use doesn't seem consistent from game to game.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16399
    I sometimes think that referees try to 'balance' their decisions to try to correct for a poor decision given one way earlier in the match. Might be that the Iran game was an example of that rather than conspiracy ( I can never remember the exact quote but totthe effect that if something can be explained by idiocy or conspiracy it will always be idiocy). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523

This world cup isn't a good advert for the game with all the ridiculous rolling around and feigning injury.  I follow the NFL quite closely, and if you read some of the comments from some of the Americans on NFL boards, this kind of stuff gives football a really bad name over there.  If FIFA really want to grow the game over there, they need to cut out this kind of behavior.

All the players surrounding the refs are ridiculous as well.  Give yellow cards to the lot of them.  You wouldn't see that kind of behaviour in rugby or the NFL.

You can put him in front of a bank of VAR screens, but a crap referee is still a crap referee.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I don't think they have got the use of VAR right, it should be used to check a goals validity, double check penalty decisions and look for off the ball incidents that warrant a card, anything that is not clear from TV feed available should be ref's call. Ice Hockey would be a good model to follow.

Wis - I agree with you.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    If the purpose of VAR is to remove doubt then take it to the next logical level.

Rugby has citing officers who review matches after they have been played and can cite players for foul play. One of the worst things about modern football is the play-acting, so get the citing officer to review footage of people (sometimes quite impressively, I have to admit) hurling themselves around after they've been violently assaulted by an opponent's exhaled CO2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Ice Hockey ref'ing is far better than football
    even the lower level stuff without TV

generally though, players don't throw themselves on the floor and act out some foul..
    not in International games, NHL or the league my boy plays in
    if a player goes down and stays down, they are genuinely hurt.. even if all they need is a moment to recover after having the wind knocked out of them a bit..
    and of course if there is blood on the ice, the ice is cleared whilst it's cleaned off

also, if a player bad mouths a ref they'll get a warning.. if they continue, a 10+10 penalty..
    basically.. go get changed.. your game is over..
    and if they persist even after that, they could get a several game ban
    and that's even at my boys level [adult rec hockey] right through to the juniors..
    players abusing officials just is not tolerated..

what you see at a hockey game is hockey... and no bullshit..
    yes they may be the odd scuffle, but that's part of the game in a sense..
    but you'll get a penalty for that too.. a minor scuffle will be a roughing call which is a minor penalty..
    gloves off / helmets off, punches to the head is a fighting call, which is a 5 minute major penalty 
    play every note as if it were your first
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14810
    tFB Trader
    IMO the fault starts with the actual VAR 'committee' - take the Iran v Portugal game last night - The ref made a decision - VAR must have seen the replay and asked the ref to re-consider his thought process as he 'might' have made an error - At best the hand ball for Iran and the Portugal foul for Ronaldo, are border line calls, certainly not clear cut - The VAR committee should have dismissed their own 'inquiry' after the replay and no need to have bothered the ref - Move on

VAR was meant to over ride clear cut errors - Not hints of maybe

However after the VAR was shown to the ref, then why he changed his mind I don't know