WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    WTF is going on with the VAR system ?  I know jack shit about football but even I've seen fouls that have been ignored by the pitch ref and apparently not flagged up by the VAR refs.  Is my naivety obscuring technical aspects for me or is there just woeful inconsistency here ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Emp_Fab said:
    WTF is going on with the VAR system ?  I know jack shit about football but even I've seen fouls that have been ignored by the pitch ref and apparently not flagged up by the VAR refs.  Is my naivety obscuring technical aspects for me or is there just woeful inconsistency here ?
    There are only a few, narrowly defined circumstances when VAR can be used. 

Off the top of my head, it's to check goals / offsides, penalties, red card offenses missed by the ref and mistaken identity. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2018

Poland - Columbia. That wasn't the whistle for fulltime, that was the bell tolling on a mercy killing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    Neil said:
    I don’t think Belgium are all that. Their win the other day was the first time I’ve ever seen them win convincingly. They’ve got some good individuals but for me, along with the likes of Argentina etc, they never live up to the hype.
    Exactly, a team of individuals.

De bruyne and Hazard are great players but Argentina had Aguero, Messi and Higuain and it got them nowhere.

England are far more of a team and Kane is a much better striker than Lukaku.
    I would not read too much into the England -v- Belgium result.  Both sides are in the second round so expect to see players 'rested' and squad players getting a run.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    tFB Trader
    quarky said:

Poland - Columbia. That wasn't the whistle for fulltime, that was the bell tolling on a mercy killing.

Yeah that was appalling. I’m currently in Poland and watched that game. locals were beyond miffed.

For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader
    Emp_Fab said:
    England’s first game Kane got mauled to the floor on 2 occasions and nothing given. Today,
    penalty was awarded. My fear is that a semi final or even the final could be decided on a dodgy VAR system. The system is working perfectly. The ref’s that judge - dubious. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Emp_Fab said:
    England’s first game Kane got mauled to the floor on 2 occasions and nothing given. Today,
    penalty was awarded. My fear is that a semi final or even the final could be decided on a dodgy VAR system. The system is working perfectly. The ref’s that judge - dubious. 

Theoretically the “poorer” refs will go as the tournament progresses so by semi finals you are left with the best of the best. 

That’s the theory - course, we all know that regardless of who it is, the referee is always a w****r :D
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429

That’s the theory - course, we all know that regardless of who it is, the referee is always a w****r :D
    The referee is always right. Unfortunately, that's coupled with the fact that the ref is often a right wanker.
    tFB Trader
    It’s coming home lads. Bollocks to the ref 

• valevale Frets: 1052
    well i think germany are looking amazing at the moment. i'm pretty sure they are going to win.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I'm enjoying England this time around. There's a great team vibe, Southgate has done a great job thus far (although why is he still playing Sterling over Rashford???). I'm not expecting us to win, but it's just an enjoyable ride so far. I have no great expectation, but after a string of terrible managers I'm just feeling 'good' about English football again, wherever we end up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    axisus said:
    I'm enjoying England this time around. There's a great team vibe, Southgate has done a great job thus far (although why is he still playing Sterling over Rashford???). I'm not expecting us to win, but it's just an enjoyable ride so far. I have no great expectation, but after a string of terrible managers I'm just feeling 'good' about English football again, wherever we end up.
    This. 

We don’t need to win the World Cup (nice as it would be) - we just need to put in some performances and get some respect back. It’s nice to read that today’s performance broke a bunch of records and was significant for a number of reasons - things like the last goal had 25 unhindered England passes in the lead up - the most in a World Cup match since 1966.. 

It’s nice to have a football team who seem committed, not scared of their shirt, operate as a team, and actually look like they want to go out there and play as well as they can. I hope they go all the way - but a quarter or semi final exit with some decent performances would be enough to get us feeling good about our national football again.

Don’t forget - Southgate reckons he’s working this side up to peak in 2022... the next World Cup.. 
    In contrast with the other games today, England spend an awful lot of time passing the ball sideways and backwards. 

Call it "patient build up" if you like, but that won't achieve much against the better sides.

Look how quickly Columbia and Japan tried to get the ball forward today, the former to devastating effect.

I'm probably a bit spoilt being a Palace fan though. Our tactics are built on releasing our quick lads as soon as possible .

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3699
    In contrast with the other games today, England spend an awful lot of time passing the ball sideways and backwards. 

Call it "patient build up" if you like, but that won't achieve much against the better sides.

Look how quickly Columbia and Japan tried to get the ball forward today, the former to devastating effect.

I'm probably a bit spoilt being a Palace fan though. Our tactics are built on releasing our quick lads as soon as possible .
    i.e kick and run.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Neil said:

i.e kick and run.  ;)
    That was Palace under Coppell! Good passing team these days. :) 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519

Apparently it was 30C out there.  If they want to pass it around at the back and conserve energy, that seems sensible to me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4750

The better sides wont sit deep trying to soak up pressure.   Better teams, who push forward more, create more opportunities for counter attacking football.   Limited teams, like Tunisia and Panama call for patience, keeping possession and rooting out holes in their defence.  

I think the 6 goals justifies the tactics somewhat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4750
    axisus said:
    I'm enjoying England this time around. There's a great team vibe, Southgate has done a great job thus far (although why is he still playing Sterling over Rashford???). 

I heard some pundits discussing this and the feeling was Southgate is a big admirer of Sterling and knows he is a 'confidence' player.  So he has to keep playing him to get the best out of him.  He's been largely anonymous so far so I'm not sure how long Southgate can give him.  I guess having won the first 2 he will probably get another go against Belgium, or perhaps he'll be 'rested' and Rashford will get the chance to make the decision for him. 

I like Sterling, but Rashford seems to have the pace, confidence and aggression to make things happen, against even the best defences.  He certainly is never anonymous and gets up to speed very quick.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    edited June 2018
    Best FIFA2018 comment of the year is from the ESPN cricket forum...

‘SIR, Trippy Her iz gr8 plier bt Sachun iz da bzt. Thy r bth rite syeded pliers.’

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    Sterling will probably be better against the bigger teams.  They won't sit as deep with 10 or 11 players behind the ball, and there will be more space for him.  That said, I would be tempted to "rest" him (as @menamestom said) and start Rashford against Belgium.   If Rashford has a blinder then wonderful.  If he doesn't, then bring Sterling back for the next match.