WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    Best England side since '98, no fucking doubt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I would love to see England just reach a final, but going out in a QF playing this kind of football, I will take that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    Guys... It's Panama though...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2018
    Not sure if you are kidding, but it was Costa Rica, it was Russia, it was Iceland... They could easily go out in the first knockout round, but at least they are playing well.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All too regularly to England struggle against mediocre opponents. Nice to see them doing so well. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    Panama have some nice touches and could have exploited holes in the England defence but they seem to have focused on stupid gamesmanship instead. Glad to see at least some of it is being punished. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    quarky said:
    Not sure if you are kidding, but it was Costa Rica, it was Russia, it was Iceland... They could easily go out in the first knockout round, but at least they are playing well.
    Nope, not kidding.

England is showing some good football and score will probably lift some morale but the opponent is not the strongest - would you agree? They came out strong just to follow with serious of stupid mistakes, penalties and lost temper very quickly. 2nd half should be cancelled right away. Well done England, hope they won't get overconfident with the final score before playing Belgium, although both teams secured 2nd stage already, so no pressure.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    Belgium are gonna paddle England's azz. Everyone's talking about Panama like we're scoring wonder goals. Lukaku will shred. Shred I say! To ribbons!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    All too regularly to England struggle against mediocre opponents. Nice to see them doing so well. 
    Panama don’t look good enough to be classed as mediocre, not taking away anything from england, but Panama are one of the worst teams I’ve seen in a world cup game.

I think the team we meet in the next round will be the 
    mediocre test.

edited June 2018
    Schnozz said:
    Belgium are gonna paddle England's azz. Everyone's talking about Panama like we're scoring wonder goals. Lukaku will shred. Shred I say! To ribbons!!
    He is injured apparently. I suspect both England and Belgium will do the sensible thing and rest a lot of players. Still expect Belgium to win it though, they are just such a good side.

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Majestic players such as Lukaku, De Bruyne, Hazard or Kompany wouldn't be able to help Belgium beat England even if Terry Butcher at his age, a Harry Potter totally devoid of witchcraft, Gascoigne in a high state of inebriation and a downright wasted Maradona all muddled in an English shirt were the chosen ones to play on Thursday. England are doing great. Enjoy the show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I don’t think Belgium are all that. Their win the other day was the first time I’ve ever seen them win convincingly. They’ve got some good individuals but for me, along with the likes of Argentina etc, they never live up to the hype.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11717
    All too regularly to England struggle against mediocre opponents. Nice to see them doing so well. 
    Panama don’t look good enough to be classed as mediocre, not taking away anything from england, but Panama are one of the worst teams I’ve seen in a world cup game.

I think the team we meet in the next round will be the 
    mediocre test.

What does it say about the US team that they couldn't even qualify ahead of Panama?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    The Belgium match is almost a dead rubber now, the pressure is off both teams. Tunisia Vs Panama might be more interesting. 
    England weren't perfect today but a 6-1 win is a 6-1 win. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1422
    They'll need to iron out the sloppy mistakes and lapses in concentration.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12859
    We look like Belgium, dangerous going forward not much at the back. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Great refereeing in the England -v- Panama game. Sets the standard for the other referees
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904

Just looking at the current odds, Belgium 4th favourites around 8/1, England 6th favourites around 10/1.    So based on the bookies, par for England is quarter finals, Belgium Semi finals.

I don’t thing there will be much between the teams, but on paper Belgium have more big game match winners.  They are very much in a golden generation and expectations are high.
    England are a younger team, lower on the expectation curve, it’s probably the next world cup where English expectations should be higher, as the U21 world cup winning squad should be featuring then.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    I don’t think Belgium are all that. Their win the other day was the first time I’ve ever seen them win convincingly. They’ve got some good individuals but for me, along with the likes of Argentina etc, they never live up to the hype.
    Exactly, a team of individuals.

De bruyne and Hazard are great players but Argentina had Aguero, Messi and Higuain and it got them nowhere.

England are far more of a team and Kane is a much better striker than Lukaku.