WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Some TV/radio pundits must've been airlifted out of some doldrums... now they're chipper chappies... or hasn't reaching a world cup semi been enough? Same shite everywhere with them. Looking forward to the other game.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9105
    I dived into the blow up pool in the garden fully clothed like a diving Jordan Pickford pretty drunk and shouting “It's coming home” then ran back through the house splashing water everywhere, just pulled the cork on a bottle of Shiraz and going to smash into that then order a chinese takeaway for the family and friends that are now laughing at me stripped to my boxers dripping wet!

It's coming the fuck home!

Pictures/video or it didn’t happen :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14201
    skunkwerx said:
    We’ll see how strong the English side is when we actually come up against a decent team... 

Still they look better than previous years. 
    Isn't this world cup redefining what a decent team is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

I can’t see much for England to fear in this QF. The later kick off plus ET for both teams is all good.  Looking forward to the Semi final....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Not paying huge attention to the match but all credit to Russia taking it this far even if they go out on penalties. If they go through won’t be much fun for England having the crowd against them. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    edited July 2018
    Not paying huge attention to the match but all credit to Russia taking it this far even if they go out on penalties. If they go through won’t be much fun for England having the crowd against them. 
    Actually they want Russia, it will be a brilliant atmosphere and they are the lowest ranked team to be at the World cup so our best chance of progression.

EDIT - Russia lost! Oh well, bring on Croatia ....
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    What a day, what a game. I would have been happy enough even if England lost today, but to win so convincingly is great. There are no easy games at this point, so the semi could go either way (which is good for us too), holy crap, England are potentially 90 minutes away from a World Cup final. I can't believe it.

And I am a United fan, but Sterling did well. Missed his chances but pulled Sweden all of the place. I would keep him in the team, even to tier out Croatia before bringing Rashford on!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11670
    In the words of the inimitable Brian Moore - it's up for grabs now.

The team is building momentum, we seem to be over whatever injuries there were and, for some amazing reasons, none of the tabloid press seem to be out to do a hatchet job on anyone involved with the England camp.

We're not the best team in the semi's, but that doesn't matter now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Well that was an interesting game, well done England. 

Sterling is useful for pulling defences out of shape, but my God, he couldn't hit his own cock with a slipper. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    p90fool said:
    Well that was an interesting game, well done England. 

Sterling is useful for pulling defences out of shape, but my God, he couldn't hit his own cock with a slipper. 
    My thoughts exactly! He was doing a good job, but you can't help but wonder if Rashford could do the same, but at least manage a 'sack whack' of sorts.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    edited July 2018
    (NSFW)

It’s....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4263
    I fancy us against Crostia, if we keep Modric quiet, it could be 3 or 4
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    edited July 2018
    Like many of you, I'm sure, I watched the game outside, sat on a carpet on the floor of a plant shop in North Vietnam with some local friends of which one could speak any English but clearly all were experts.  Drinking many small glasses of weak beer and ice.  It was certainly the most memorable England world cup match viewing that I have ever seen.  "Harry Kane!!".
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Croatia looked done last night. 2 long games in a row, aging stars. If England score first I think they will go on to win as Croatia chase the game and tire.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Croatia looked done last night. 2 long games in a row, aging stars. If England score first I think they will go on to win as Croatia chase the game and tire.
    Yup. Modric looked easily their best player but he was out on his feet by the end. Keep him out of the game in the semis and we stand a chance of getting through. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    A win is a win so great news for England. Yet good job for set pieces, as our ability to create chances in open play is to spasmodic.

sterling has his place but his finishing is woeful. Rabbit in headlights . Hardly time to experiment but I'd like to see Rashford play along side H

Deli and Jessie both need to offer more control for the team, better movement and more chances to be created from them

in the absence of a Modric type of player we have to settle on Henderson 

but out full praise to Southgate. Creating a strong team spirit
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15379
    tFB Trader
    Getting close to team of the tournament. Most of the top stars have failed to ignite. Messi and Neymar certainly. Ronaldo for only one game. Hazard disappointing and De Bryne only marginally better

Mpappe is a rising star, but don't place on a pedestal yet. Takes 2 to 4 years of consistent performances to be a contender. 5 to 10 years to be a leading star

not sure what team formation is dominant in the tournament, so going with 4 3 3

not nailed down my team yet, but certain places are done

courtois

Marcello.  ?     ?      Maybe Trippier 

Modric.  Kante.    de bryne

Griezeman.  Kane.    mpappe
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

I’d probably include Lukaku.  Possibly Pogba.  Possibly an English defender as well.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2147
    I've enjoyed watching Hazard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    Getting close to team of the tournament. Most of the top stars have failed to ignite. Messi and Neymar certainly. Ronaldo for only one game. Hazard disappointing and De Bryne only marginally better

Mpappe is a rising star, but don't place on a pedestal yet. Takes 2 to 4 years of consistent performances to be a contender. 5 to 10 years to be a leading star

not sure what team formation is dominant in the tournament, so going with 4 3 3

not nailed down my team yet, but certain places are done

courtois

Marcello.  ?     ?      Maybe Trippier 

Modric.  Kante.    de bryne

Griezeman.  Kane.    mpappe
    I've been thinking of mine

Formation seems to be based around 3 CB's at the back, which it seems a few teams have been doing (eg Belgium & England) in a 5-2-3 formation

I picked mine on the grounds I could only pick one player from each team!  Also going for players who might not have got all the credit but have done a huge amount of work for their teams. 

GK - Kasper Schmeichel (DK)

CB - Granqvist (Sweden)
    CB - Yerry Mina (Colombia)
    CB - Godin (Uruguay)

LWB - Marcelo (Brazil)
    RWB - Trippier (England)

MF - Witsel (Belgium)
    MF - Modric (Croatia)

RW - Inui (Japan)
    LW - Cherychev (Russia)
    No.9 - Giroud (France)

Manager - Cherychev (Russia)