Neck break/split - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

What's Hot

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Should be less than 10, closer to 5. Maybe you're looking at a really big pack? 15ml ones will last most people a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    Yeah I realised that aha.. don't need that much Epoxy.. was flipping out at the Maplin site.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    £30!! I used to work for Maplin and am frequently amazed at just how expensive they're getting now. They were never cheap but the company's in serious financial difficulties and the prices are just becoming insane.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73141
    Gonna get some hand clamps too, worried about over tightening and squeezing it all out.
    Don't worry about that, you want it as tight as possible - surface to surface contact gives the strongest joint. If you keep on warming the neck with the hairdryer to keep the epoxy very liquid it will soak into the wood and effectively produce a composite across the break, which is the strongest of all.

The only risk with overtightening is crushing the back of the neck or the frets into the fingerboard, so make sure you pad both sides very well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    You can clean up epoxy that hasn't set using acetone (or cellulose thinners).

If there is a small amount of squeeze out, this can be trimmed with a sharp blade before it goes really hard.
    But don't do this if the finish is nitro.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16993
    You can clean up expoxy with white spirit, this won't melt the nitro
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    WezV said:
    You can clean up expoxy with white spirit, this won't melt the nitro
    Oh yes, good point, but that finish isn't nitrocellulose is it?
    It melts if you clean it with nail polish remover.

I always test in the cavity..It's a Gibson repro - not a Fibson but a project a mate made.

this is what ive done.. and i'm shitting myself.

used a piece of 2x4, opened the headstock till I heard a pop from the split - before then the split was barely 2mm open.

stopped.

warmed the neck

warmed the araldite

using 0.90mm sheet of plastic acetate stuff scooped it into the break and pushed it in.

warmed the neck whilst shovelling it.. pressed it in as deep as I could without scraping the wood inside.

I've noticed the truss rod cavity so i'm gonna loosen/tighten the truss every 2 hours to keep it free.

clamped - using tight grained balsa and clamps.

rest.. aha

ive cleaned the excess with warm soapy water and that seems to of done it.

I know something stupid's going to happen like i've epoxied the Balsa wood to the fretboard or something equally stoopid.

how is this looking ?
  • Looks fine to me.

It's the kind of way I'd go about it - it's just important to make sure you've not stuck the truss rod.

So long as it's stable and the truss rod is functional, it's a winner :)
    Yeah every hour im gonna check the truss just give it a twist so it wont bind.

hopefully this will stable as.. or else well I dunno aha.

A few people told me to completely avoid epoxy but like I said above i've seen repairs first hand that are stable as a rock using Araldite.

I didn't quite get the epoxy clear but the viscosity was very runny indeed.. then tomorrow she's off for a nut job and leveling.
    Again thanks to everybody who has helped.. Still very nerve racking.

I'll post updates as she goes along for those interested.. hopefully it might help out other individuals looking for the same solution.
    I would have used a LOT more padding on the back than that - hope you haven't indented the neck…

Fingers crossed!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'm not fussed about indenting on my own stuff. I have my guitars well maintained but play them like they owe me money. Only my gigging stuff mind.

Last epiphone I owned I played till it actually fell to pieces, repaired it and done it again.

Aslong as it's nice n' stable and I can buff out the ridge im a very happy chappy.

I appreciate all the advice ICBM
    WOOO no marks on the neck.

after 24hours of clamping they came off today - absolutely no flex at all.. Going to string it up later as it's getting a lovely setup.

I did as expected accidently glue some balsa to the neck hahaha which i'll be scraping off.

then sand paper through the high grades then taking it to a garage to get buffed. You can barely feel the ridge on 90% of it.

TA-DA

Done, took it over Ian's for a setup etc.. sounding good so far very stable.

just waiting for it to all settle down for a fret levelling. The truss seems to tighten then loosens again after awhile so i'll be tweaking it over the coming weeks.

Great job, well done!

Thanks man, really happy with the result.

Now this pesky truss rod.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Done, took it over Ian's for a setup etc..

Is Ian signed up here?

(I'm assuming you mean iancorps in Banbury)

Great job btw.

• You've done a great job there mate.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.