Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best 1977 guitars

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
edited November 2018 in Guitar
I've been after a year of birth guitar off and on for a little while, but I thought I'd ask for a few suggestions about what to go for. Quirky is good, playable is a must, under a grand preferred. I'm in no rush, so suggesting things that don't come up for sale often isn't a problem.

I've already thought about a Fender or Gibson, but from what I've read this isn't exactly the best year for either. Anyone got any ideas for a 1977 guitar?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14760
    Ibanez or Yamaha.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    You'd be hard pushed to find a Yamaha SG from '77, but I'd thoroughly recommend them, even if it's a heavy one (I don't like them if they've been whacked about).

I have a Seventy Seven Stork R8, which was actually made in 2013 and it's golden, but that's cheating.

Funkfingers is bang on with Ibanez, but I enjoy the Washburn Falcon too, so I'll add that option.

• Were Aria PEs about in ‘77? A Hamer Sunburst would be a good call...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I like this:

https://reverb.com/item/13967224-ibanez-musician-mc200

and this:

https://reverb.com/item/16096991-1977-gibson-marauder-s1-electric-guitar

What are the Grecos like from this era? There seem to be a lot of them around.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    I have a soft spot for Marauders due to The Brothers Johnson, but I think the Ibanez will be the better guitar.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3125
    edited November 2018
    Ibanez Artist or Musician.

Golden age of Ibanez but worth noting the Musician range didn't really appear until '78 so I would check the serial number in the format a77xxxxx where a=jan, b=feb etc... (x=production numbers). There are some verified '77 mc200 & 300's (300's without trisound until d78)

If you can find an AR2700 - which was the transition model between Artist/Musician - that would be my choice. May be slightly over budget though. Sometimes called an Ibanez Custom, they were made in '77.

An example, but it's in Australia. Shame.

(just an afterthought, did they make Daion Power in '77? Hmm, If they did I'd look out for one of those. May be 1978 on though)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2019
    Antoria.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519
    Something Japanese.  Ibanez would be a good shout, but there are others..
    @hobbio what month in 1977?  I've got an an Antoria (made by Ibanez) stamped April - http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1940251/#Comment_1940251
    Ideally March, but it's the year that's more important to me.

blobb said:

Golden age of Ibanez but worth noting the Musician range didn't really appear until '78 so I would check the serial number in the format a77xxxxx where a=jan, b=feb etc... (x=production numbers). There are some verified '77 mc200 & 300's (300's without trisound until d78)

If you can find an AR2700 - which was the transition model between Artist/Musician - that would be my choice. May be slightly over budget though. Sometimes called an Ibanez Custom, they were made in '77.

An example, but it's in Australia. Shame.

(just an afterthought, did they make Daion Power in '77? Hmm, If they did I'd look out for one of those. May be 1978 on though)
    Thanks matey. The MC200 I linked doesn't list the serial number, but in the pics it looks like o78 so that makes it October 1978 rather than a 1977 guitar? Shame, I really like that one.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    This one is a '77 and is a good guitar.

I'd suggest you play some guitars of that era and then make the decision, rather than go on just opinions. 

https://i.imgur.com/nm9Gsuu.jpg
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Were Aria PEs about in ‘77? A Hamer Sunburst would be a good call...
    A ‘77 Hamer Sunburst would be awesome, but that was right at the start of production, I think some had neck issues. Fairly sure the really early ones were subbed out to the same guy who made that Standards around that time and would be fantastic guitars but probably not cheap at all.
    stonevibe said:
    This one is a '77 and is a good guitar.

I'd suggest you play some guitars of that era and then make the decision, rather than go on just opinions. 

I hear you. I'm looking for a starting point here away from the stuff I've already thought about. Saying that, a LP would be out of budget anyway and I wouldn't know where to go to play a load of 70's guitars.

• blobbblobb Frets: 3125
    edited November 2018
    o78 can't exist.

(Deffo not '77, the pup selector switch is behind the knobs on the early ones.)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2970
    hobbio said:
    Quirky is good, playable is a must, under a grand preferred. 
    1977 saw Guild introducing the S-60 & S-300 models, which were quirky in shape, very playable, and should be available for under a grand, especially the single pickup s-60.

Some good info on them here.

Other than that, you should be able to find some of the less expensive Yamaha SGs for under a grand.
  • What about a Shergold?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you want a fender you could get a Bronco, Musicmaster or Mustang under 1K
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    Rickenbacker, although you might struggle to get even a 400 series ‘77 for under a grand now, unless it’s been messed about with.

You can also find decent examples of some of the quirkier and cheaper Gibsons if you’re lucky - probably rarer than duff ones, and some sellers are starting to ask daft prices for them now, but things like the Marauder and L6S should still be just about in budget.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KoaKoa Frets: 122
    If you want a fender you could get a Bronco, Musicmaster or Mustang under 1K
    I’d agree maybe not Mustangs thought as they can be more than a grand 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    blobb said:

Given the option, I would also go for an Ibanez Artist. Lovely, if somewhat heavy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom