Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best 1977 guitars

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• If 1977 is so important start with the guitar you prefer first, then find one from the year. You are limited by your decision but there will be something out there assuming that your budget can handle it. Personally, I would go for a LP Custom, (plenty around and some mojo) of a strat / tele ( as above ) , both have the advantage of decent, hassle free resale down the line and you get to have a bit of history on your hands. Oh and please disregard the online bollocks disparaging everything from Gibson and Fender from that era, most of those guys haven't played that many of them but have unwittingly loved the sound of them on record ( such is the inter web ) Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    The best-sounding Gibson electric I’ve owned was a ‘77 Les Paul Signature - it’s also quite an unusual guitar, although you’d need to double your budget at least. Unfortunately the neck gave me hand cramps so I didn’t keep it long.

It’s also worth mentioning that if you want a guitar from a specific year, you need to be a bit careful - serial numbers are not always accurate, and you need to check other dating info like pot codes. It’s not unusual to find ‘disagreements’ in the same guitar, and obviously the youngest definitely original part is the oldest the guitar can be - and even then you sometimes need to use a bit of judgement.

For example there’s a ‘1970’ Strat in the shop just now, but the one remaining original pot is dated the 52nd week of 1970. Since it’s unlikely to have been shipped to Fender, assembled into a loom, the loom fitted to the pickguard and the guitar finished all in one week, the guitar must be a ‘71. If you had bought it because you were born in 1970 that would be annoying...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom