Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best 1977 guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• Koa said:
    If you want a fender you could get a Bronco, Musicmaster or Mustang under 1K
    I’d agree maybe not Mustangs thought as they can be more than a grand 
    I'm sure @andrewaward has a '78 on here for under a grand ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73047
    I had a ‘77 Mustang once - 100% mint condition, original case and all the bits and bobs. Ash body, super shiny sunburst finish like it had been dipped in glass, weighed as much as a small car and had absolutely no tone whatever. I think I got £500 for it, about 20 years ago.

A few years later I also had a red ‘66 which was the opposite, and very stupidly I let a friend talk me into selling it to him for £750... I’ve never played another as good. Probably still only a £1500-£2000 guitar today though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    Not sure I'd find any USA guitar of this era that would entice me - Maybe the odd Guild or Ricky to be different, but certainly not Fender or Gibson's finest period - However if under 1K then maybe a 'customised' players grade S1, Marauder or similar might have some mileage, that now plays better than a stock example

I'd be tempted to look at something tasty from Jap - In all honesty I have nothing specific in mind, but the key thing is to find something that inspires you as well - Let the date of birth be a bonus, but above all buy it because you like it, bond with it, like to play it and I feel that way it will mean more to you in the long term - And enjoy the search
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052
    edited November 2018
    stonevibe said:
    This one is a '77 and is a good guitar.

I'd suggest you play some guitars of that era and then make the decision, rather than go on just opinions. 
    ^ this - I've got 2 1977 Gibson LP's, a standard and a custom, and other than the weight of the custom they are excellently made guitars and have beat out every other Gibson I've owned, which is a number of CS models.

I'm sure there were a fair number of bad Gibsons made in the 1970's but there were good ones too - something that still seems to be the same today, see the thread on here about the R8 neck pockets for example - I'd say try playing a few though
  • I'd go MIJ Les Paul, myself.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7212
    With old '70s Gibson Les Pauls, most of the shit ones have been modified to make them better (which often fails) i.e added Kahler trems, routed for weird sustain circuits and hacked up.

Decent ones are usually left alone and so you can just 'man up' and get used to heavier guitars. 

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    From 1977 I would go for:

1. This Gretsch Committee: https://reverb.com/item/14506496-gretsch-usa-committee-7628-d-1977
    2. Roland GR500 Guitar synth
    3. Musicman Stingray Bass
    4. Silverface Amp
    5. A Rickenbacker

• Ibanez Artist, without a doubt.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14767
    tFB Trader
    just a thought - Musicman Stingray Guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3174
    edited November 2018
    Buy a Fender F series acoustic, I bought my F55 12 string  new in 76 still sounds good but only worth about twice what I paid for it. That would leave you £850 out of your budget to spend on a party!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited November 2018
    I’ve been playing this game and it’s a tough one. I was looking for a ‘78 though.

I’ve all but given up - haven’t seen anything I’m remotely interested in since a black LP Pro Deluxe that’s stamped with numbers corresponding to my actual birth date.

However, it came up at a time when money was tight and the import duty and associated costs bringing it in from the USA made it too expensive...

I did get a ‘78 double cut LP special that now resides with a pal of @icbm ‘s but that had a weird neck joint that was set too far into the body and I didn’t get on with.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    A  Gibson LP Special 77-55.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2435
    My Fender Mustang is a 77 and is a pretty damn good guitar.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I’d have thought it would take quite a long time to list out everyone’s top 1,977 guitars...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2990
    tFB Trader

My 77 Greco

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/greco/body.jpg

Mostly LPs to be had over here, there's lots more models in Japan but buying can be a bit of a minefield esp ebay.

Not 77 but from the era, I think the 79 Ibanez MC300 Musician was probably the best-made guitar I ever had. Not the best-sounding though.

• Corvus said:

My 77 Greco

http://alleykat.co.uk/images/stuff/greco/body.jpg

Mostly LPs to be had over here, there's lots more models in Japan but buying can be a bit of a minefield esp ebay.

Not 77 but from the era, I think the 79 Ibanez MC300 Musician was probably the best-made guitar I ever had. Not the best-sounding though.

Tasty!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    edited November 2018
    The consensus seems to be there's good and bad in everything.  A Zen philosophy.  Try, try try before you buy.

Personally I've had a '77 strat which was an absolute dog, a '77 Mustang that was pretty fun to play, but covered in about an inch thick layer of varnish.  I had a '75-6 Gibson Les Paul which has been around this forum and was pretty darned good, Norlin era pancake construction notwithstanding.  Prime amongst the '70s haul was my Yamaha SG2000: superlative build quality and sounded the dogs.  Just couldnt get on with the neck...  But it's all mega subjective: good luck with your quest.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1294
    tFB Trader
    Not a Fender or Gibson, obvs. I'd suggest something characteristic of the era, so yeah an Ibanez Artist, or even a Hagstrom Scandi. Cool, playable and rare: 
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/144233/a-hagstrom-ive-never-seen-before#latest
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Wow, lots of great posts here. Thanks!

@octatonic that Gretsch you linked looks amazing. Deffo on the list.

I'm unlikely to go for a LP as in my head as I only want one if it's Gibson (yes, yes, I know). I probs won't go for a strat cos I love my MIM Classic 50's.

The Ibanez suggestions are all intriguing, ditto the Yamahas. I'm going to keep my eye out for something that really grabs me (that Gretsch really grabbed me!) 

I've seen a load of Grecos advertised, @Billkat but I've never even seen one up close. What's the quality like?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2990
    tFB Trader

Thanks @lovestrat74 :)

@hobbio I might be biased it's good, this is the only 'keeper' I've got (famous last words), they came from Fuji-gen like Ibanez of the time. One thing in case it matters to you the finish is 2k, aka 'poly', seen plenty of sellers claim nitro but this one definitely isn't.