Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SG equivalent?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
So, the thing is I love the sound of SGs but I simply don’t get on with the body. It feels too small and just plain wrong to me. Any suggestions as to anything that will get me that sound?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Les Paul, only normally this question is asked the other way round! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1331
    The les pauls less were a les paul shape but the body was halved width ways so an sg thickness but a les paul shape ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72898
    PRS Mira.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    PRS Mira.
    In a similar vein, I think of my PRS S2 custom as being SG like. Especially since I changed the pickups.
    It's not a competition.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    S2 Standard 24

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11679
    tFB Trader
    \

Feline Lion Cub HH - like the Gibson The Paul but better made and easy top fret access

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    edited December 2018
    I would think a Custom 24 could be a good bet because the pickups on an SG are closer together than on most 22 fret guitars so that could make the neck and middle positions sound closer possibly.

Also has a light body which I believe the SG has.

Disclaimer: I've never actually played an SG, it's purely a theoretical suggestion.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    edited December 2018
    As  others I’d have said the Gibson less Paul and the Mira where the first to come to mind

the PRS S2 satin range will get you close too ,well except the Vela  
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12448
    Melody Maker with humbuckers or a firebird, I think the thin body goes a long way to making that sound.
    I have an SG standard and have just sold a MM with a Jeff Beck jr pickup because they are too similar sounding, well sort of.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • +1 for Mira or LP The Paul or similar - ideally you want something with a thin mahogany body, preferably with as much of the neck as possible sticking out beyond the body - though that might be why you don't get on with SGs..?

One of those old Firebird Studios from out 10 year ago would probably be good. Not as cumbersome as a full-fat Firebird and came stock with regular hum buckers. 

https://reverb.com/au/item/455801-gibson-firebird-studio-2006-pelham-blue-dave-grohl

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    PRS S2 singlecut or maybe a Reverend Sensei 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3683
    Gibson Les Paul Special. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    edited December 2018
    PRS S2 Singlecut.  I sold my SG because I couldn't get on with the geometry. I also sold my old Les Paul, so bought an S2 Singlecut Satin as I didn't have a solid body guitar with humbuckers.  Despite the Singlecut shape, it's a lot closer tonally to the SG than the Les Paul.

The finish on the neck on the satin version is absolutely lovely.  Once you've played it in a bit, it feels really great to play.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Tbh, I don’t think anything sounds like an SG.

Folks will scoff but it sounds *nothing* like a Les Paul. It’s more wirey and has more splash. Les Pauls (proper ones) always have a darkening compression - and thanks to the position of the neck pickup that sound is totally different.

The PRS suggestions are good ones but (and I say this as a PRS fan too) the pickups won’t sound the same. Plus few thin body PRS guitars have the four pot control layout vital to getting all the different sounds from an SG.

Melody makers, if hacked for buckers can get into that territory(a la Pat Travers) but I find them to be even more unwieldy and they are a touch ugly too.

Seriously - nothing sounds like a good SG. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14612
    edited December 2018 tFB Trader
    I'd probably say an original PRS Mira - But they have more purity and less growl then an SG plus 24 frets, so the neck pick-up is in a different place - So a case of which you prefer
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14612
    tFB Trader
    An original Guild S100 or S300 from the USA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11493
    I'd probably say an original PRS Mira - But they have more purity and less growl then an SG plus 24 frets, so the neck pick-up is in a different place - So a case of which you prefer
    For me the S2 Singlecut Satin is closer.  For a start you have the 2 volume, 2 tone layout.  On any Gibson style guitar, you are missing something if you don't have the ability to blend the pickups.  Two volume controls is one of the things that makes the DGT better than pretty much everything else in PRS's "Core" line.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14698
    edited December 2018
    24 frets … the neck pick-up is in a different place
    Actually, the neck position pickup on an SG is exactly where it should be to accommodate 24 frets.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2933
    Something like an LTD Eclipse might work if it's a thin bodied version.