Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SG equivalent?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14615
    tFB Trader
    24 frets … the neck pick-up is in a different place
    Actually, the neck position pickup on an SG is exactly where it should be to accommodate 24 frets.
    Crazy - but I've never thought about it like that before but see where you are coming from
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    High output Telecaster 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11681
    tFB Trader
    24 frets … the neck pick-up is in a different place
    Actually, the neck position pickup on an SG is exactly where it should be to accommodate 24 frets.
    Crazy - but I've never thought about it like that before but see where you are coming from
    and here is the proof - on one of our thicker bodied (nosedive free SG types)

Rear view is nice too - sculpted neck to body join

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    ESP Viper?

But I would also agree with PRS Mira, though my Vela has a similar feel to my SG also. Just it sounds completely different!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8074
    edited December 2018
    Gretsch Corvette (CVT) are excellent guitars, very underrated.cheap too,  £300ish  used.   I have two. Both highly moddified, moved my SG’s on a long time ago. 

https://imgur.com/a/a4hGb
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2964
    dindude said:
    PRS S2 singlecut or maybe a Reverend Sensei 
    I'd also recommend trying out a couple of Reverend Sensei models - I've owned 5 Gibson SGs, and no two sounded quite the same to me, so I'm not even sure exactly what an SG sounds like.... :confounded:  But of all the other guitars I've ever owned, the one that came closest to an SGs was a Sensei. They're available with P90, Reverend humbuckers, or Railhammer pickups (with the latter my personal favourite), so plenty to choose from sound-wise.

The photo below is one I used to own, with an unusual pickup combination - a shame it's not in their regular lineup. You can see the strat-like body contour, making it very comfortable to play, and the bound body is more substantial than an SG, but it's almost as light, being made of Korina. Looks-wise, IMHO, it's better looking when being played than when hanging on a wall; something about the offset body shape just seems to work better when it's in use.

I was impressed enough by this one, I immediately ordered a Spacehawk, which is currently one of my favourites. And since selling the Sensei, I've bough a Manta Ray, so I certainly can recommend Reverends - of course, YMMV.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    That’s nice! I never thought that any PRS would appeal to me aesthetically but the simplicity of that one really appeals. If it sounds as good as it looks I’m hooked :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    ESP Viper, even the LTD version. Much chunkier in body and tone than an SG.
  • JotaJota Frets: 465
    +1 for the Reverend Sensei.
    Found a great deal on one when I was GASing hard for a SG.
    I still want the SG but I have no need for it since the Reverend is just excellent.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 687
    Bigsby said:
    dindude said:
    PRS S2 singlecut or maybe a Reverend Sensei 
    I'd also recommend trying out a couple of Reverend Sensei models - I've owned 5 Gibson SGs, and no two sounded quite the same to me, so I'm not even sure exactly what an SG sounds like.... :confounded:  But of all the other guitars I've ever owned, the one that came closest to an SGs was a Sensei. They're available with P90, Reverend humbuckers, or Railhammer pickups (with the latter my personal favourite), so plenty to choose from sound-wise.

The photo below is one I used to own, with an unusual pickup combination - a shame it's not in their regular lineup. You can see the strat-like body contour, making it very comfortable to play, and the bound body is more substantial than an SG, but it's almost as light, being made of Korina. Looks-wise, IMHO, it's better looking when being played than when hanging on a wall; something about the offset body shape just seems to work better when it's in use.

I was impressed enough by this one, I immediately ordered a Spacehawk, which is currently one of my favourites. And since selling the Sensei, I've bough a Manta Ray, so I certainly can recommend Reverends - of course, YMMV.
    That’s an interesting one. I used to own a Warhawk and still regret selling it. I’m also a sucker for black/chrome
    TheMarlin said:
    Gretsch Corvette (CVT) are excellent guitars, very underrated.cheap too,  £300ish  used.   I have two. Both highly moddified, moved my SG’s on a long time ago. 

Thats one that hadn’t even registered in my thinking previously, but now you mention them, good call. Gretsch is +n on cool factor
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5860
    daveyh said:
    TheMarlin said:

Thats one that hadn’t even registered in my thinking previously, but now you mention them, good call. Gretsch is +n on cool factor
    They are so good, @TheMarlin has spent many thousands, it seems, on his two since I’ve known him. ;)

Both are stunning guitars, play superbly and definitely have a very cool look. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3302
    tFB Trader
    les paul special with humbuckers would be my take on it, i don't like the way sg's feel
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3435
    edited December 2018
    Most of the suggestions on this thread have similar proportions to an SG, so maybe we need to know what it is about the SG body you don’t like otherwise you’ll just get the same issue with a different brand?

Personally I think Vs and Explorers sound kind of similar to SGs and have different body shapes. The Reverends mentioned (sensei, bob balch) can sound similar but are similar sizes, though the Spacehawk also mentioned is bigger (and doesn’t sound like an SG either...). ESP vipers have a thicker body and different neck but sound more Les Paul like to me. Guild S series and Gretsch Corvettes are basically SGs anyway.

I have heard teles that get a bit of SG bark with the right pickup (and ideally with a Bigsby and the Tele Bigsby bridge to add some heft). I have a set neck Probett Rocket that sits somewhere between strat and SG with a strat style body and set neck. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited December 2018
    There are thin bodied versions of the Washburn idol that might be worth considering..?
    WI46, I think is one..
    https://goo.gl/images/1KE1wg
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• JotaJota Frets: 465
    Most of the suggestions on this thread have similar proportions to an SG, so maybe we need to know what it is about the SG body you don’t like otherwise you’ll just get the same issue with a different brand?

Personally I think Vs and Explorers sound kind of similar to SGs and have different body shapes. The Reverends mentioned (sensei, bob balch) can sound similar but are similar sizes, though the Spacehawk also mentioned is bigger (and doesn’t sound like an SG either...). ESP vipers have a thicker body and different neck but sound more Les Paul like to me. Guild S series and Gretsch Corvettes are basically SGs anyway.

I have heard teles that get a bit of SG bark with the right pickup (and ideally with a Bigsby and the Tele Bigsby bridge to add some heft). I have a set neck Probett Rocket that sits somewhere between strat and SG with a strat style body and set neck. 

Senseis are closer to Yamaha Revstars. The body is bigger and thicker than SGs.
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2964
    Jota said:

Senseis are closer to Yamaha Revstars. The body is bigger and thicker than SGs.
    Yes, they also have a body contour that makes them very comfortable for the right arm, despite the thicker body..

One big difference with SGs is how far out the neck is set (apart from some Norlin models from the 70s & 80s). This is enough to make them feel quite different to other guitars with similar proportions.
  • IMO if you want a guitar that sounds like an SG, get an SG!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    IMO if you want a guitar that sounds like an SG, get an SG!
    Except........