Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What guitar screams 'punk'?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90fool said:

Twin Reverb you found lying around in the garage"
    Or nicked off the back of Bob Marley's tour bus.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any guitar, it’s all about the attitude.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7096
    tFB Trader
    I was once chatting with Nigel Bennett (The Members, The Vibrators and many more) who had been playing a Schecter V.

I stupidly remarked that I didn't think his guitar was very "punk". He told me it cost him £25 (or some such paltry sum) and I said "Well that's punk enough for me!"
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8038
    edited December 2018
    In my neck of the woods in the late ‘70’s, the reality consisted of budget offerings by:

Antoria
    Columbus
    Kay
    Satellite
    Kimbara
    Jedson
    Etc...

However, as @spark240 will testify, the de rigueur aspirational guitar swiftly became a Yamaha SG (as we were all fans of the Skids (Stuart Adamson), Magazine (John MGeoch), Stiff Little Fingers (Jake Burns) and so on...

By the time the “second wave” (Discharge, Anti Pasti, Exploited, Crass, etc) arrived, it was back to anything you could get your hands on.

If I was pressed to pick some personal iconic punk/new wave (‘76-‘84) fave guitar manufacturers/models (and the bands they were associated with), it would be:

*Gibson White/Cream Les Paul Custom (Sex Pistols)
    *Mosrite (Ramones)
    *Starway/Gordon Smith (Buzzcocks)
    *Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster (Television, The Cure, etc)
    *Microfrets (The Chameleons)
    *Gibson Explorer (U2)
    *Aria Pro II PE1000-GC (Boomtown Rats)
    *Yamaha SG-2000 (as above)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    In my neck of the woods in the late ‘70’s, the reality consisted of budget offerings by:

Antoria
    Columbus
    Kay
    Satellite
    Kimbara
    Jedson
    Etc...

However, as @spark240 will testify, the de rigueur aspirational guitar swiftly became a Yamaha SG (as we were all fans of the Skids (Stuart Adamson), Magazine (John MGeoch), Stiff Little Fingers (Jake Burns) and so on...

By the time the “second wave” (Discharge, Anti Pasti, Exploited, Crass, etc) arrived, it was back to anything you could get your hands on.

If I was pressed to pick some personal iconic punk/new wave (‘76-‘84) fave guitar manufacturers/models (and the bands they were associated with), it would be:

*Gibson White/Cream Les Paul Custom (Sex Pistols)
    *Mosrite (Ramones)
    *Starway/Gordon Smith (Buzzcocks)
    *Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster (Television, The Cure, etc)
    *Microfrets (The Chameleons)
    *Gibson Explorer (U2)
    *Aria Pro II PE1000-GC (Boomtown Rats)
    *Yamaha SG-2000 (as above)
    This all the way..... saw a lot of the second wave bands at bowes in Stevenage , I’m impressed you can remember what they were playing, I was trying not to get my head kicked in by the NF skinheads while trying to look vaugely cool at the time!. I really wanted an SG1000 or ar a Les Paul Junior...,got my junior in the 90s and that itch is well sorted...
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    A battered DC Junior - TV Yellow (Thunders) or Cherry Red (Mick Jones/The Clash). 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Anything with a good biting tone in the bridge pickup, so you can play riffs at full pelt!
  • I’ve never had a guitar scream Punk although many have screamed Help when put in my hands. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5853
    The last time I got to play anything really punky, it was on one of these

https://media.guitarcenter.com/is/image/MMGS7/AFS75T-Artcore-Bigsby-Surf-Green-Hollow-Body-Electric-Guitar/000000111367520-00-500x500.jpg

Looks like a doll but spits, snarls, howls and definitely screams like nothing else I’ve ever owned.
  • miserneil said:
    A battered DC Junior - TV Yellow (Thunders) or Cherry Red (Mick Jones/The Clash). 
    Strangely enough (despite being immersed in the punk thing for many years), a guitar I never liked (and still don’t), in the hands of two players and bands I never really liked either. :anguished: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for a Gordon Smith single cut here. Spiky and devoid of knobs and whistles - perfect tool for twatting out power chords and anyone who try’s to get on stage  ;)
  • PRS
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Anything screams punk I think. It's what you do with the guitar / attitude that counts...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4978
    DiscoStu said:
    Certain guitars have an image and association with certain genres. LP for rock, Tele for country, etc. Growing up a metaller I always wanted an Explorer.
    But what is the go-to punk guitar? A friend asked me yesterday and I had no idea! There's the obvious 'anything, as long as you play it loud' argument but if you were a punk fan (in all its various incarnations over the years) is there a guitar that everyone uses and defines the sound/image?
    My thought was an LP Junior or Junior Doublecut with its no-frills single pickup design but I'm not sure what I'm basing that on other than Green Day!
    Yep - an LPJ for sure.

A Ric bass fits in rather well too.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Strangely enough (despite being immersed in the punk thing for many years), a guitar I never liked (and still don’t), in the hands of two players and bands I never really liked either. :anguished: 
    Well, You ought to hear what they say about you...

;) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    Anything cheap and close to you.
  • miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    Well, You ought to hear what they say about you...

;) 

Lol! :)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    An old Audition guitar into a 70s shite Carlsboro ss amp
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    sawyer said:
    Junior with wraparound. I'm convinced the way your hand 'hinges' on a wraparound  is responsible for the sound of punk. 
    I think Steve Jones And Johnny Ramone would disagree...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.