Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What guitar screams 'punk'?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Telecaster.... Strummer

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    I may be up for the guitar slot in a punk outfit, and I immediately thought (1) LP TV, (2) Tele.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    Second Wave..Bones from Discharge,Jock from GBH and Paul from Vice Squad are all using Hagstom at the moment,Paul is still using his Les Paul too..Jock had a thing for Grecos for a while, think he still has his Zematis copy and an Iceman type of thing..He has used the same JCM 800 amp since 1982..He used a Carlsbro Suzz then a Big Muff on City Babies..By revenge he stopped using an extra Pedal..Gordon Smith are loved by a lot of the second wave bunch too,Jock's Flying V was a Gordon Smith..Karl that was in Broken Bones with Bones as the other Guitarist is just a bit of a gear freak..He was in the Exploited and the UK Subs too..He also plays bass in Discharge when they go over to America.He has his own band Billyclub too...Rainy for some reason can't do the USA gigs just now...Jock from GBH is a lovely guy, a big Thin Lizzy fan and likes himself a bit of Ritchie Blackmore..Originally it was what they could get their hands on though..Big John from the Exploited also used an Yamaha SG I think..Last time I saw Bones play, he was using a single Pick Up Gordon Smith and an Ibanez RG..He was tearing up the fingerboard shredding..He can play a bit Bones..He was using a Line 6 Floorboard..Karl was drowning him out with a Gordon Smith and JCM 800..As I said Bones now uses Hagstrom and a Blackstar amp..

Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks also used a Gibson Marauder and H and H amps were big...
    Don't know if you know ,but Pete died just a few days ago.. :(
    Shergold Masqueraders seemed to be around too..

The earlier bands were mainly Gibson or Fender.
    Mick Jones,Steve Jones,Brian James,Gibson..Johnny Thunders too..
    Upstarts and Sham Gibson too I think..Definitely Upstarts..
    Joe Strummer Tele and Bob Andrews Gen X Strat..Hugh Cornwall Tele.
    I'm sure I saw Paul Fox from The Ruts with a Strat,although he usually used an SG..
    Knox from the Vibrators used a Strat I think..Did 999 not use a Tele and Strat..
    Robert Quine Voidoids Strat..Richard Lloyd Strat originally Tele..
    Of course Tom Verlaine's iconic Jazzmaster and Jaguar..
    Cheetah Chrome from the Dead Boys..I think a converted Gibson Melody Maker with Humbuckers..
    East Bay Ray I've saw use Gretsches and Fenders with an Echoplex and a Fender amp, sometimes a Twin.

Oh Ron Asheton Used a Strat in the Stooges I think into a Univox Superfuzz..
    James Williamson a Les Paul Custom mainly..

MC5 I've seen with a lot of Stuff..

Stiff Little Fingers..Jake originally used an Ibanez Les Paul copy white I seem to remember and Henry a Kimbara Strat copy..

Good to see Stuart and John both getting some recognition..
    John McGeoch was brilliant at what he done.He doesn't get enough recognition.
    I met Stuart a few times..I lived in Dunfermline and used the same music shop..
    Really lovely humble guy and a much better player the folk realise, also really supportive of local upcoming musicians,
    still sorely missed also a player you could recognise instantly..

I think I noticed a Mr John Perry on here too, guitarist with the Only ones..
    If it's the same one.

Who used/Uses a 60s Strat,A converted 50s Single Cut Junior and A SG Special with P90s..
    Great  emotional guitar player..

So the Answer is Many..lol

There were a lot of Gibson Junior type things early on..
    Steve Jones had a Special also..Plus a Black Les Paul Custom..
    P90 and staple Pickup..Some of Never Mind the Bollocks sounds P90 wish to me..
    He also had a Firebird..Steve Jones I seem to remember said God save the Queen was done on a Vox AC3o with one 
    speaker blown out..This story has changed though..He originally said he used an MXR Phase 45 on Anarchy in the UK..
    and a Distortion Plus got Mentioned..
    They were big in Punk too..McGeoch used one too and famously the MXR Flanger..

Sorry I will stop now and not mention Mick Jones' Mesa Boogie..lol
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry..999 Tele and Les Paul Junior... :)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3414
    edited December 2018
    Wis'd Kev S. I loved GBH. I still have a photo of me with my first guitar, a red Marlin Strat. I'm wearing a GBH T shirt.

A kind of punk Hank Marvin! Ha ha.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1195
    miserneil said:
    A battered DC Junior - TV Yellow (Thunders) or Cherry Red (Mick Jones/The Clash). 
    Couldn't agree more... this was it!
  • @Kevs Fantastic write up there. I used to love GBH back in the day. What setup did Jock use on the revenge lp ?
    Dr Phibes,I know Jock used his JCM800 and no Overdrive/Distortion Pedal,not sure what guitar..Not spoke to him in a wee  while..Seen GBH quite a few times, loved them as a Teenager..It's always cool when bands you like,turn out to be nice people..
    Not had that many disappointments there..
    Jock is on social Media..Jock Blyth..Nice approachable guy, totally Into music and a good laugh..No Ego whatsoever.
    I ended up speaking to him a lot..

My most daring chancer one was was asking James Williamson how he got the guitar sound on I Got a Right..
    A Dimed Marshall with his Les Paul Custom..No Pedals used..I thought he was going to tell me it was some Fuzz Pedal..Apparently not..He wasn't at all put out by me asking..It seems a lot of these guys love their gear too..

My First Guitar was a Pink Hohner Arbor Strat Nelson..lol 
    It was basically all that was in the shop I could afford..
    I was in my first band within a Month..
    With this Coron Distortion Pedal I kept getting replaced as they kept breaking down.. 
    We were awful, but it was fun..lol
    I had the Red and White GBH T Shirt..
    Was it the T shirt for Give Me Fire I think.

• My guitar whenever I try to play something on it... ;)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6808
    When I was 13 I got my first guitar. This was in 1976 and it was a Woolies Audition. I played Punk on it. 
    The cooler kids had Columbus, Aria, Ibanez. I remember not being able to get near a Gibson, Fender or high end instrument for several years. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    merlin said:
    When I was 13 I got my first guitar. This was in 1976 and it was a Woolies Audition. I played Punk on it. 
    The cooler kids had Columbus, Aria, Ibanez. I remember not being able to get near a Gibson, Fender or high end instrument for several years. 
    Ha! they were seriously shit guitars, but with punk it barely mattered. I had a Cimar Strat, which actually wasn't too bad apart from the microphonic pickups!