Mahogany Tele

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
Has anyone any ideas on the best wood for a tele body? Of course it will be subjective but which wood would you use to try to make things a little darker sounding? A little more LP ish? Naturally a RW fretboard will help but any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    check out the modern player tele

Mahogany body with P90s, it should give you an idea of the sound combination.

Not a bad guitar for the price either 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1268
    edited April 2014
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3833
    Great sounding guitar/rig. I like his demos. 
    edited April 2014
    I really don't think wood makes too much of a difference on a Tele. More pickups/scale length/strings/bolt on or set neck.  

In fact, I think in a blindfold test, 99% of people couldn't hear much difference between alder/ash/rosewood/mahogany. 

Put it to the test. I've played a Rosewood Tele that was just as bright as any I've heard. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33824
    @Loobs- agreed.
    It isn't really the species but rather the particular piece of wood.
    You can get light mahogany, heavy mahogany- all the qualities you can think of really.
    You have to take each piece of wood as its own thing.

Exactly. What do you think regarding my other point, on an electric, of the wood being one of the lesser contributors to the overall tone of the instrument? 
    Loobs said:
    Exactly. What do you think regarding my other point, on an electric, of the wood being one of the lesser contributors to the overall tone of the instrument? 
    I've gone back and forth on this a lot over the years.
    Where I am at now is: wood does matter, the body and neck matter more than, say, the fingerboard though.
    I reckon the pickups matter more than any of them.
    The guitar speaker is the biggest filter of them all though.

What I've noticed is there can be next to no correlation between acoustic sound of an electric to how it sounds plugged in.

I reserve the right to change my mind on any of this, however. ;)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11954
    and chambering the body will make more difference than changing the wood in a solid body
    Somewhat. Again, I can't hear a huge difference between chambered and non, at least plugged in. 
  • octatonic said:
    @Loobs- agreed.
    It isn't really the species but rather the particular piece of wood.
    You can get light mahogany, heavy mahogany- all the qualities you can think of really.
    You have to take each piece of wood as its own thing.

Agree with this, I have played alder 60's tele's that sounded fat as hell early 50's that were Ash and thin, not sure exactly if anyone can say which is which, only that they can hear a difference.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Maybe I should start a thread "what is everyone's idea of a perfect spec for a tele?"
    Pretty much what it was designed as, with a slighter flatter fretboard and slightly bigger frets. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Plus the modern wiring!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    and a tummy cut.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    Les Paul type wiring with the two tone/ volume set up for me
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader

Have look at link’s below. The first guitar is a Tele but built as a LPJ I’ve made a lot of these and the one thing you can be sure of it does not sound like a Tele but just like a LPJ. I also build a lot of Tele’s with a  Mahogany body with a Maple /Rosewood neck HB at the bridge SC at the neck. Sound wise bridge P/U almost a LPJ but not a Tele, the neck P/U single coil still not a Tele sound. The second guitar in the link is a Alder body Maple / Rosewood neck. This will more of a Strat sound then a Tele.

If I’m ask to build a Tele with a darker sound I tell them there are not many ways to do this and keep the the  classic Tele sound. The easy way a standard Tele in Alder or Swamp Ash but with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups. The bridge has a coil tap so full on almost a HB but when coil tapped it takes on a glassy hot Texas sound. The neck P/U sound is a bit heaver then a standard Tele neck PU. If you then add a 4 way switch you will have a guitar thats a Tele and and almost a Les Paul will nearly. There are more ways to do this but this way works really well, although have a look at the second link this is my Tele built with Bare Knuckle PU’s and a 4 way switch not as heaver as the SD pickups but add’s a bit more to the Tele sound. 

If you go Mahogany then you will lose some of top end glassy twang. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13333/lpj-come-tele#latest

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3708.0

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    That LPJ looks amazing
  • rocktroutrocktrout Frets: 31
    ive just ordered a smitty tele. im going for a alder body with the belly contour vintage white ,  with a flame roasted maple neck 6100 frets kluson tuners . vintage bridge with the 3 saddles , tele neck pickup but its going to be routed to take mini humbucker too, strat middle pickup and tele bridge , les paul 3 way switch on the tele plate going up and down as opposed to the tele switch going left to right and mini switch between the volume and tone to turn on middle pickup . he winds his own pickups and basically if i give him the outputs of any pickups i like he winds them to your spec . gator hard case and delivery to ireland is 2000 euro . gonna be intresting to see how it turns out . a few guys i got talking to on the fourms who owns a smitty say there are the mutts nuts . anyone on here have one ?
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Have a look on the guitar classified I have a partcaster all Mahogany T/C for sale.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10449
    Friend of mine has a Tele made of rosewood .... Very very heavy and sounds nothing like a Tele
    www.2020studios.co.uk